Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1000 ft driveway - Snowblower ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JJ426

1000 ft driveway - Snowblower ?
Original Message   Oct 13, 2008 2:41 pm
This is my first post, so hi to everyone.

We are preparing for winter (East Coast, Canada). Our driveway is around 1000 ft, plus a few areas around the house. Our snowplow-guy did not do a good job last year so we have to make changes.

If I buy a walk behind snowblower, an Ariens 32" or wider, will this machine do the job ? Does it take the full day to clear the 1000 ft (one lane) gravel road or is it not too bad.

Homedepot sells a 45 inch wide Cub Cadet walk-behind snowblower (made by MTD, Yardman ...) with the B&S 13 HP engine. Is this a good machine or should I go with Ariens or Simplicity ?

Or am I simply crazy to think I can do that with a walk-behind ? I never had a snowblower in my live.

I thought about an ATV with front mount snowblower (Kimpex ?), that has an engine on top. Is that a lot faster than a powerful walk behind ?

What do you suggest ?

Cheers, JJ

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: 1000 ft driveway - Snowblower ?
Reply #1   Oct 13, 2008 5:18 pm
Shoot,  where I come from, that called a road! 

What you have to consider is that depending on the width of the machine you'll be using, you might need to make as many as five or more passes to get the driveway cleared.  That works out to almost a mile.  Now, depending on depth and type of snow, your speed will vary.  I have a driveway that's one tenth of the length of yours but maybe twice as wide.  On a good day, with a damned good machine (Simplicity 9.5 h.p. 28" wide), it will take anywhere from half an hour to 45 minutes to clear four to six inches of average snow.  So, extrapolating that to your requirements would mean that you will need approx. five times as much time to do your driveway.  That works out to 2.5 to four hours to do the job with an equivalent machine under decent working conditions with no break downs.  Personally, a walk behind would not be my choice.  If you have a four wheel drive ATV, I'd look at a self powered snow thrower for it in preference to a walk behind.  If all goes well, it will be much easier and quicker.   If you don't have an ATV, the costs for it and a thrower attachment will probably put you in the $10000.00 to $15000.00 range if you buy new, decent equipment.  If you have no other use for the ATV, that would be the wrong way to go.  You'd be better off buying a good quality John Deer or Kubota yard tractor (preferably diesel) with power take off for a hydraulically controlled snow thrower.  In summer you can use the same machine for cutting grass and other utility work.   Remember that either the ATV or tractor will leave you shoveling paths and areas too narrow or tight to get at with the bigger machines.  A small used walk behind would be good for those places. 

Bottom line:  No walk behind.  If you hunt, fish and like to ride ATVs - go that route.  If not, get yourself a good quality, powerful, yard tractor.  Good luck. 

mkd55

Reply #2   Oct 13, 2008 9:09 pm
you are going to be sorry if you try to do a 1000 ft gravel driveway with any walk behind machine. your best bet is a small farm tractor with a blade, or a plow on a truck. either one all though costly would tackle the job 10x better than a walk behind sno thrower. if you got alot of snow you could never keep up to cleaning the driveway without a piece of equipment that can keep up to the task. i have a 125 ft. long paved driveway and use an ariens 824 and it sometimes isn't big enough for our wis winter snows. you'll be in for a big disapointment to try and use a walk behind blower,no matter how large. just my 2 cents. mkd
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #3   Oct 18, 2008 2:10 am
Hi, JJ.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm new myself, posting twice in a week.  I'm a school custodian, and at my school we have a very long asphalt path (500 feet?) leading north of the school to a housing area.  I'd hate to have to use a snow blower to do that pathway.  Thankfully, we have a modestly-sized John Deere tractor with a plow blade mounted in front.  A plow and a blower have their proper places, but I think your driveway is definitely a good candidate for the plow.  Of course, a good snowblower (Ariens!!) probably can find a place in your immediate house area.  I hope this helps you out.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
snowblowerguy

Reply #4   Oct 31, 2008 10:12 pm
i would suggest a lawn tractor attachment snowblower or a 3 pt hitch snowblower for that big ROAD of a driveway
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42