Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying used - 2004 Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Palomino

Buying used - 2004 Ariens
Original Message   Mar 18, 2008 8:11 pm
Hello all,

I need a snowblower for next year and was hoping to find a good deal, but most of the dealers around are sold out this year due to the harsh winter.  I have found some used snowblowers including an Ariens model 924121 11hp 28" cut with electric start.  I think it's a 2004.  I havent been able to find out about what they went for new but the dealer said he'd sell it to me for $900.  Ive only seen pictures of the snowblower so far but it looks almost unused--no rust or stains anywhere.   It comes with a 90 day warranty but that is almost useless now being so late in the season. 

From the info above does this sound like a good price?

I really don't want to spend more then 1k on this as I only use it to cut a path to my house from my garage about 130', and also the first 8'-10' or so by the garage door that the plow cant get to.  My driveway is almost 400' long.  Looking at snowblowers so far I dont think I could get a similiar quality brand new for anywhere close to this price, but I could be wrong in my so far limited searching.

Any help appriecated!

Thanks,

Mike

Athelstane, WI

This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by Palomino
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Buying used - 2004 Ariens
Reply #1   Mar 18, 2008 10:11 pm
Winter is almost over.  If you haven't  had a snow thrower until now, chances are you won't need one until next winter.  Being that the season is just about over for you, and probably most other people south of Canada you have the advantage.  With that in mind, the seller might be willing to negotiate.  Personally, I think $900.00 is too high of a price unless the value of the machine was between $1800.00 and $2000.00 new.   If the machine was more around  $1400.00 to $1600.00 new, I'd be expecting to pay, at the most, half price.   That combined with the fact that the warranty is useless should give you some leverage to get an even better price.   
This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by borat
Snowbound

Re: Buying used - 2004 Ariens
Reply #2   Mar 19, 2008 11:53 am
http://www.kensserviceandsales.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=12889&Manufacturer=303

According to info on this web site, it looks like (your) Ariens model went for around $1,429 list when new.  I would offer the dealer $800 and ask for the 90 day dealer warranty in writing to commence on November 1, 2008, or offer him $700 or less with no warranty.  It all depends on how many hours (not years) there are on this machine IMO.  Realistically, if the machine is in excellent condition, you'll be buying a new machine already broken in for you.  (you'll be hard pressed to find a powerful 11.5hp snowthrower in like-new condition for this price anywhere)  Prices for new 11.5 horsepower machines are in the mid to upper teens.

If this were a private sale from an individual owner, I would offer $600 to $650.

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by Snowbound
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42