Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens624E Likes to run with choke part way on

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NHsnowman

Ariens624E Likes to run with choke part way on
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm
HI all,

I just bought an Ariens 624E snowblower and it was deliverd today. My question is it seems to run best with the choke partially on. I havn't been really able to blow any snow to really warm it up good as all out snow here in NH is basically solid as ice right now.

Could it be that it just needs a good long time to warm up?  Also it is an OHV engine and I have heard that they sometimes need to be run with choke partially on because the emmision seetings cause them to run so very lean.

I followed the manual exactly and started it on low throttle full choke and then slowly backed off the choke but when i get to the last choke seeting it starts to sputter out. If i return quickly to the higher choke setting it goes right back to running great again.

I was hoping someone had some info or thoughts on this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
NHsnowman

Re: Ariens624E Likes to run with choke part way on
Reply #4   Feb 19, 2008 7:39 pm
Also one last question.

Does it do any harm to the machine to run it with the choke slightly on?

Thanks for all the info.

borat

Reply #5   Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm
If the machine runs better with some choke, your carburetor isn't working correctly.  Being that it's brand new, have it looked at by the dealer.  Get them to check the rpms with the choke off and then with the choke on.  See how much difference there is in engine speed.  Running the engine with choke partially engaged isn't going to damage your engine.   However, I wouldn't accept it in that condition.  As far as ohv engines requiring choke to run better, I have this to say about that.  Bull $#%*.   If that's what the dealer told you, he's blowing smoke up your ass.   My B&S ohv engine runs flawlessly.  As a matter of fact, I seldom use the choke to start it.  Three or four pumps on the primer and away she goes.
Paul7

Reply #6   Feb 23, 2008 12:10 pm

I had a 5hp Ariens (Tecumseh) that after a few years liked to run better with the choke partially on.  I ignored it and just ran it that way.  After a short while the machine became so hard to start that I needed to use ether everytime I fired it up.  Finally broke down and serviced the carburetor and made sure that the setting were right.  I never needed ether again...3 pushed of the primer and it fired right up, and it ran great without the choke partially on...actually it ran much stronger.

Look, you have a brand new machine...it should run like a brand new machine.   Have the dealer fix it or if you bought it from HD take it back and exchange it for one that runs right.  

daswede

Reply #7   Feb 23, 2008 1:22 pm
Hi everyone.    New member here

ref: Ariens 624E

Sorry to hear of your problem

I have a new Ariens 724E this year, and mine runs just great. Bought from a dealer.  It starts quickly with just the recoil starter,1/2 choke,idles down nicely with no choke.

I guess i echo others here that you have to take it back ,if you bought from a dealer, and have it checked out.

mech12

Reply #8   Feb 23, 2008 4:53 pm
do not run on choke  this will eventually carbon up your valves and then of course a valve job.  like borat stated take it back to a tecumseh dealer and have them go thru it.
NHsnowman

Reply #9   Feb 26, 2008 2:09 pm
HI all, Just thought I would throw out an update on my new machine. Went back and re read my manual and figured out what I was doing wrong and it has run like a champ ever since. I have to say it just feels better made than the sears machine it is replacing. Even got to test it out on a nice powdery 6" snowfall and it threw it 50'+.

Tonight/tommorow will be it's true test though 6-10" of heavy wet snow, (going to put us over 100" for the year). 

As I said just wanted to update so as the machine didn't get a bad rap for my stupid error.

daswede

Reply #10   Feb 26, 2008 2:31 pm
 Don't keep us in suspence!    What was your fix?
Snowbound

Reply #11   Feb 26, 2008 4:31 pm
NHsnowman wrote:
HI all, Just thought I would throw out an update on my new machine. Went back and re read my manual and figured out what I was doing wrong and it has run like a champ ever since. I have to say it just feels better made than the sears machine it is replacing. Even got to test it out on a nice powdery 6" snowfall and it threw it 50'+.

Tonight/tommorow will be it's true test though 6-10" of heavy wet snow, (going to put us over 100" for the year). 

As I said just wanted to update so as the machine didn't get a bad rap for my stupid error.

What were you doing wrong? 
NHsnowman

Reply #12   Feb 26, 2008 7:48 pm
Well I feel pretty stupid but I was actually reading the choke control wrong.

I have always had machines where far right is no choke and on this one that is full choke. So when I looked at the symbol of course I saw a symbol for no choke (vertical symbol) when it was actually the symbol for choke (diaganol symbol).

So there I was starting it without choke (and it started great by the way), letting it warm up and then choking it out.  Thankfully I decided to re read the instructions more closely and figured out my dumb mistake pretty much right away.

Live and learn I guess.

donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #13   Feb 26, 2008 9:50 pm
thats funny

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42