Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Simplicity Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DonMac

New Simplicity Snowthrower
Original Message   Dec 5, 2007 10:54 pm
Hi All,

New here (first post) but have been reading on this site for a few years and appreciate all of the knowledgeable info from all of you. Thanks!

I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ and have a big driveway along with a sidewalk that is 150' long, . Also, the bus stop for the kids is on my driveway so it is important to me to make sure it it clean and safe. Well, tonight I bought a new Simplicity Signature Pro model 10524 from a dealer in Princeton. The dealer told me it was last year's model and would sell it to me for last years price for 1650.00, which I paid. But when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed the model was a 10524P, not P10524E as in last years brochure. On top of that, the 2008 model is P1524E.

Anyone know what the 10524P year is and did I get a bad deal? I didn't want to buy something brand new if it's a two year old model.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Replies: 35 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mfduffy

Re: New Simplicity Snowthrower
Reply #35   Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am
Update: I've used the machine twice in blowing snow and sub-zero conditions and I've had with no issues afterwards.  Last night I went out again to clear a couple of drifts.  This morning, the temperature is hovering around 0F (obviously, it's a little warmer in my garage).  I checked that trigger on my way out of the house today and it moved freely and easily.  I suppose I'm tempting fate by posting my success here!  Nevertheless, thanks borat for your suggestions.  I'm still not 100% sure of where exactly the issue was, but it was well worth getting the white lithium out of there and I can tell that made a huge difference in and of itself.  The WD-40 in the cable is a quick and easy thing to do that I will add to annual maintenance.

I also tried your experiment.  Ha!!  I'm tempted to throw that can of white lithium away!  At least, I'll never pull it out during winter.  Thanks again.

borat

Reply #36   Feb 19, 2008 9:05 pm
Nice to hear things are working out for you.  I suspect it was the grease.  Probably too much in the wrong place.  At the end of the season, put the synthetic engine oil on the shaft and little grease just at the engagement points of the teeth.  When you pull it out for winter,   Put a bit more oil on the shaft.  Sometimes oil can gum up over the summer.  WD40 in the cable is always a good thing. 
jerseyjay

Reply #37   Feb 19, 2008 10:12 pm
You can shift on the fly, but for liability reasons it is not recomended.  I have a steep driveway, and when going up if I change to a higher gear it may lift up (front).  Speed is controlled by the friction disk, inner is slower go out it gets faster -- physics 101.  There really is no excessive wear shifting on the fly.  In fact, if you stop then you will incur more wear starting the snow thrower from rest.  But as mentioned earlier, it could get dangerous if you upshift while going uphill.

I love the blower, bought the 10524 in October.  The dealer put it together good and delivered it and demonstated it.  However, the salesperson at the store is only good for looking up parts.  I sent a technical question to Simplicity.  They responded quick enough but it took some back and forth for them to admit a technical feature they used for just one year and didn't bother to mention it in the documentation; I am not impressed with Simplicity's customer service.  Other than that love it!

Tubby

Reply #38   Dec 12, 2013 1:23 pm
Talldog wrote:
Tubby, I'm not too worried about the motor itself, but  its wiring might be a weak spot. There is also exposed wiring on the bottom of the starter motor. Guess time will tell. I was thinking of making some kind of boot/shield for it also. Maybe something like a spark plug boot?

Nope, sure as poo sticks to a blanket, that stupid motor gave it up. The gear box got contaminated. :( $150 + cold fingers.
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 12, 2013 3:17 pm
Tubby wrote:
Nope, sure as poo sticks to a blanket, that stupid motor gave it up. The gear box got contaminated. :( $150 + cold fingers.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  I remember when I first joined this forum, you had some other problems with this snowblower.

Is that $150 the price for a replacement motor, or the whole motor/gearbox assembly.   Is your snowblower about 7 years old?  If so, I am surprised that the electric motor actually lasted that long.  If I did have a snowblower with electric rotation, I would keep a spare on hand just in case it gives up.
This message was modified Dec 12, 2013 by aa335
Tubby

Reply #40   Dec 12, 2013 4:38 pm
Found one on ebay for $100.
Yes, I did have a problem with the drive plate backing off the spindle, which got fixed under warranty.
There was what I felt a safety issue wuth that, in that as it comes off the spindle, it forces itself onto its matching gear, effectively putting the blower in gear with no way to stop it short of shutting the engine off.
Since then it has been a good machine.
Ordering up the new chute motor now.
I just find it ironic that the one that gave me hesitation when I was shopping blowers was predictably an issue.
Replies: 35 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42