Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need advice buying snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jacqualynn

Need advice buying snowblower
Original Message   Feb 14, 2008 1:14 am
I have a long (1000'), steep, winding driveway that I need to plow. We get about 4-6' of snow a year. Doesn't sound like a lot but when it is deep and slushy, it is very scary going down the drive even with 4wd. We hire a guy with truck and snowplow but he often does a horrible job when the snow is deep and slushy and he charges $50. each time. We have considered a plow for our own 3/4 ton truck, 800cc ATV or snowblower for ATV or stand alone snowblower and think the last would be best but am a novice to this snow removal job. Any suggestions?
Replies: 3 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jump2

Re: Need advice buying snowblower
Reply #3   Feb 14, 2008 1:14 pm
Wow - 1000 ft steep driveway!!. Unless you have lots of time to do it, I'd be inclined to stay away from the walkbehind. If money were not an object the ATV sounds great in that it would have best traction and you could put a big blower in it . If you have a lawn tractor you might think of adding a blower to that, but traction might be an issue. Limited slip would help there. Might want to just find someone else that will do a better job plowing, because I've never personally used any snowblower that works good if you end up with lots of slushey snow. Plows work best on slush. Likely this isn't hugely helpful, but I'm just writing to suggest something other than the walkbehind with 1000' to clear.

Ron

This message was modified Feb 14, 2008 by jump2
Snowbound

Reply #4   Feb 14, 2008 1:31 pm
1,000 feet is nearly one-fifth of a mile.  Now that's a long driveway, and with curves!  $50.00 for plowing is quite a bargain but not worth the money if the job is botched up.  Personally, I'd try to find someone willing to plow efficiently at a flat rate of $75 or $100 and that's cheap (and gas is expensive).

If you are serious about buying a snowblower, sounds like 11.5  - 13hp in a $1,500-plus price range would be appropriate.  Be sure to check out the dealer's service policy and warranty which should include house calls for at least three years  A large snowblower of this size weighs at least 300 or more pounds and you don't want to be ramping - hauling your new purchase back and forth to a dealer to whom you just paid over 1,500 bucks.

$1,500 divided by $75 per truck plowing = 20 plowings   (something to think about)

This message was modified Feb 14, 2008 by Snowbound
jacqualynn

Reply #5   Feb 14, 2008 6:31 pm
1000' of driveway is very long and my husband is not very excited about the walk behind but I read the Polaris ATV unit was disconntinued. We do not have a riding lawnmower yet (new house and have not put the lawn in yet) and was hoping to buy one thing at a time but they may not be our best option.
borat

Reply #6   Feb 14, 2008 9:50 pm
If it were I in your situation, I'd be putting a plow on the truck.   I'd get something light weight to minimize wear on the front suspension components.   
Moderator Denis

Reply #7   Feb 14, 2008 9:57 pm
Thats what you need 2cyl engine and chain on the tire 48inches auger hehehe one way down one way up and the job is done.

chipguy98

Reply #8   Feb 16, 2008 9:44 pm
my neibour has a blower att. for his four wheeler and it works awsome..  Whith the 4 wheeler you will get lots of traction and the blowwers are real wide so lest passes + less time
borat

Reply #9   Feb 16, 2008 11:00 pm
chipguy98 wrote:
my neibour has a blower att. for his four wheeler and it works awsome..  Whith the 4 wheeler you will get lots of traction and the blowwers are real wide so lest passes + less time

The drawback with these units are twofold.  They're expensive and awkward in tight spaces due to the size of the ATV and the attachment. 
Moderator Denis

The Snow Hogg, ATV snowblower attachment
Reply #10   Feb 18, 2008 9:31 pm

The Snow Hogg, ATV snowblower attachment

Video here

This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by Denis

Replies: 3 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42