Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity is gonna get a workout today!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Talldog

Simplicity is gonna get a workout today!!
Original Message   Feb 6, 2008 3:03 pm
Northern Illinois, about 10" of snow on the ground and another 4" on the way before it's over with blowing and drifting on top of that.  This is the most snow at one time this area has got in years. Really glad I bought the new blower this year. I don't think my old Toro would have been up to the task.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Simplicity is gonna get a workout today!!
Reply #4   Feb 6, 2008 7:48 pm
I think we had this discussion just recently concerning unnecessary techno gizmology.  My Simplicity has the old fashion manual controls.   If it freezes,  which it has only done once, it's simple enough to get it back into service.  Just tap the chute to break the ice at the base.    Sophisticated technology has it's place.   However, on a machine designed to carry out the basic function of moving large amounts of snow from where you don't want to where you do, is not the place.  As I have previously stated, manufacturers have begun to implement unnecessarily complicated and susceptible components on machines that work in hostile environments.  I doubt that their reasons for doing so are as much for function as it is for fashion.   They are appealing to men's uncontrollable desire for the latest techno wizardry.  Sadly, there are sufficient numbers of us to fall for their techno allure resulting in enough sales to keep the manufacturers going in that direction.  RESIST I SAY.  RESIST.

Now to address your frozen gizmo issue.   Try to pull a plastic bag over the frozen component to create a heat shroud.  Once you have devised a method to contain the heat in the desired area, get a hair drier and feed hot air into the shroud.  Once you've thawed the effected component out, turn off the hair drier, take off the shroud and kick yourself in the ass for "failing to resist." 

Snowbound

Reply #5   Feb 7, 2008 7:41 am
Seems to me a heating pad or an electric blanket would work if you have an outlet nearby. 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Feb 7, 2008 9:09 am
I am a Simplicity fan. First one in my family was purchased in 1960.  Two years ago I bought a 1060DLXE as a house warming gift for my son who lives 50 miles away. I replaced my 1974 six years ago by selling it to a friend who needed a reliable machine to clear the loading dock at his business. He still  thanks me for the sale and I still enjoy a visit to his shop to see my "old friend". I would have replaced it with another Simplicity had there been a local dealer.

Having said all that you couldn't "GIVE" me a machine with an electric chute. Ariens tried it on their top of the line PRO machines a few seasons ago and no longer offer it. I remember someone saying you can slather the chute base and gear mechanism with synthetic grease to help the freezing situation. Not a cure but it will help.

Maybe the genius in the R&D department who decided electric chutes were a good idea would have thought to to hook up a chute warmer similar to the hand warmers. That way he could have gotten another "gold star" for raising the price of the machine a few hundred $ based on a  feature that only serves to diminish a perfectly good design. 

Sorry for the rant,

Marc   

This message was modified Feb 7, 2008 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Talldog

Reply #7   Feb 7, 2008 4:27 pm
Tubby wrote:
I love my new Simplicity EXCEPT:

Three times now I have gone out to the shed to use it, started it, and find the electric chute control froze in place. That is getting me a little bit angry. I wonder if there is manual control I can put on it.

I haven't had this problem. I do store it in an attached garage, but the garage is not heated. One of the first things I did after getting the machine was to smear some synthetic grease on the gear and teeth on the chute.

I love the electric chute control, but I do wish that there was a manual backup.

mfduffy

Reply #8   Feb 14, 2008 11:53 am
I picked up the 1524 last fall.  Overall, a great machine.  I admit, the electric chute gave me pause.  I use the snow brush from my car  to clean off the entire machine, especially the chute, after each use -- religiously.  I live in Wisconsin and despite the recent strings of single-digit temps, I've had no issues with it.  I have had issues with the cable-based EZ-Turn control, which I posted in another stream.  I spent some time last night following borat's sensible advice.  In doing so, I found some synthetic grease that claimes to be rated for -40F at a local hardware store -- Super Lube.  It comes in a silver tube.  Maybe that would help here, too.
carz

Reply #9   Mar 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Question: I realize that the chute rotation is electric but how do you control the deflection of the chute (i.e. up/down)? I can't see on the Simplicity Web site if it is cable driven from a handle on the console or manually controlled at the end of the chute. On the 7 HP Simplicity you control it manually at the end of the chute. I am curious as I am looking at ordering one of these for next winter.

Ariens 724 (1994), Honda HR215HXC (2003)
mfduffy

Reply #10   Mar 19, 2008 10:07 pm
The deflection is controlled via a lever on the console. The lever is attached to the deflector via a cable. There are notches on the console to lock the angle of deflection.
carz

Reply #11   Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm
Thanks for the answer.

Ariens 724 (1994), Honda HR215HXC (2003)
mfduffy

Reply #12   Mar 21, 2008 7:08 pm
Southern Wisconsin got dumped on today. As it's so late in the season and the ground was starting to warm up, it's heavy, heavy, heavy. I mentioned previously in this thread, that I sprung for Simplicity's 1524 -- their Signature Pro series. The extra horsepower and sturdy frame are much appreciated when dealing with this stuff. Though we average about half as much snow as we've gotten this winter, I have no regrets on spending the extra cash. Years like this will make it well worthwhile. The bells and whistles don't matter so much, I know, but I can affirm the advice of so many on this forum -- buy as many horses as you can afford.
Talldog

Reply #13   Mar 24, 2008 8:56 am
mfduffy wrote:
Southern Wisconsin got dumped on today. As it's so late in the season and the ground was starting to warm up, it's heavy, heavy, heavy. I mentioned previously in this thread, that I sprung for Simplicity's 1524 -- their Signature Pro series. The extra horsepower and sturdy frame are much appreciated when dealing with this stuff. Though we average about half as much snow as we've gotten this winter, I have no regrets on spending the extra cash. Years like this will make it well worthwhile. The bells and whistles don't matter so much, I know, but I can affirm the advice of so many on this forum -- buy as many horses as you can afford.

You guys got it a lot worse than we did, but we still got about 6" of the real heavy wet stuff in Northern Illinois. I think this year is a record as far as snowfall goes. I was afraid that we weren't going to get much snow this year since I bought the new Simplicity. I wish I could get this lucky in timing the stock market.

When I was a teenager, I bought a used Snowmobile. I kept it a few years, but because we weren't getting much snow, I sold it. The next winter after I sold it was the winter of 78-79, nuff said.

I still really like the new machine and haven't had any problems yet although the electric chute rotator makes me nervous. As I said in a previous post, I wish Simplicity would provide a manual backup.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42