Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower size help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
srgallan

Snowblower size help
Original Message   Feb 2, 2008 8:37 am
To all,

I am a bit confused as to what size of snowblower I should be purchasing to meet my needs.  I'll start with a small description of requirements, I have a double lane driveway about 30+ feet in length, so I can have 4 full sized cars in the paved driveway.

I am located in eastern Canada but the snow over the last 7 years has been much less than I have been accustomed too, today on Feb 2nd we are getting thunder and lightning which I never remember getting in all my life this time of year.  When we get snow it's usually around 20 centimeters and often it's the good old heavy wet snow.  My driveway makes it's own little valley type so actual depth of snow is probably around two feet on a given dump of snow.

I am not too concerned if I clear the driveway in 10 minutes or 45 minutes, I just don't want to throw out my back shoveling anymore.  People tell me I should get a 10HP but others say an 8HP would be fine, I rather not spend the extra money if I don't need to and from what I can understand the power is all relative to the bucket size on the blower anyways.  I had my eye on a 26 inch/8HP tecumseh blower made by MTD for a reasonable price of 899 with 4 year limited warranty.  I checked out Ariens as I know that's the typically better brand but they were approximately 1,950 and I don't know if I can justify that expenditure.

Any thoughts if the 8HP dual stage would be enough or should I wait to find a 10 hp?

Thanks.
This message was modified Feb 2, 2008 by a moderator
Replies: 5 - 14 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
wheelsca

Re: Snowblower size help
Reply #5   Feb 2, 2008 9:12 pm
I'm in Canada, Southern Ontario and this year purchased a Simplicity 1724E which is their intermediate blower. I have been dealing with the same dealer for many years and this was his recommendation. This is my third blower and have been very happy with it. 7.5 horsepower is lots of power for this 24 inch blower. The quality seems to be very good and the Brigs&Stratton engine runs like a charm. For the price of $1,100 it is worth taking a look at. I hope this helps.
srgallan

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2008 2:23 pm
Thanks all for your help, I am afraid although with my location in Canada my choices of resellers and supply of available snow blowers is very limited, I picked up that little MTD on the basis of a 30 day return policy  at home depot while a mull it over.  Snowblowers here have been sold out for a while and I think I got the last one in the city below 2K.

After reading this board I think I may take it back (Still is wrapped and sealed in plastic in heated garage) and wait for an Ariens next  year.  I can't justify spending a fortuned but I would rather spend a couple of bucks more with the certainty that I will have something that can do the job properly.

I appreciate all the feedback, this is a great forum.
srgallan

Reply #7   Feb 3, 2008 2:25 pm
Forgot to add that the MTD I picked up is Model E6FFF, a grey and red MTD pro which I guess from checking the web is their value series (bottom end).
srgallan

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2008 7:02 pm
Me again,

Well can't seem to find a Simplicy dealer in my location, still waiting from the manufacturer if there is one around here but so far no luck.  Got some idea of pricing on the Ariens, the 824E ran for $1223 (+16%)and 1027LE was going for $1547 (+16%).  So from the thoughts of the people here, would the cost over the 900$ MTD pro justify these Ariens blowers?

Checked the Toro's and the pricing was way too high, 2K+ for the 8HP here.
borat

Reply #9   Feb 5, 2008 10:08 pm
Toro charges a premium for their name.  Ariens isn't the machine it used to be.  If you're shelling out anywhere near the money to buy either of those two, get the Simplicity.  I found it to be the best value out there.    Check out Massey Ferguson tractor dealers.  That's where I found mine.  Also, chain saw sales outlets sell snow throwers.  If you can't find a Simplicity, look for a Snapper.  It's the same machine just a different colour. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #10   Feb 5, 2008 10:28 pm
srgallan wrote:
To all,

I am a bit confused as to what size of snowblower I should be purchasing to meet my needs.  I'll start with a small description of requirements, I have a double lane driveway about 30+ feet in length, so I can have 4 full sized cars in the paved driveway.

I am located in eastern Canada but the snow over the last 7 years has been much less than I have been accustomed too, today on Feb 2nd we are getting thunder and lightning which I never remember getting in all my life this time of year.  When we get snow it's usually around 20 centimeters and often it's the good old heavy wet snow.  My driveway makes it's own little valley type so actual depth of snow is probably around two feet on a given dump of snow.

I am not too concerned if I clear the driveway in 10 minutes or 45 minutes, I just don't want to throw out my back shoveling anymore.  People tell me I should get a 10HP but others say an 8HP would be fine, I rather not spend the extra money if I don't need to and from what I can understand the power is all relative to the bucket size on the blower anyways.  I had my eye on a 26 inch/8HP tecumseh blower made by MTD for a reasonable price of 899 with 4 year limited warranty.  I checked out Ariens as I know that's the typically better brand but they were approximately 1,950 and I don't know if I can justify that expenditure.

Any thoughts if the 8HP dual stage would be enough or should I wait to find a 10 hp?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum, I suggest Troy-Bilt 9hp at Canadiantire my neighbour just got one, a real cadillac, here's the link

troy-bilt at canadiantire

Good Luck

borat

Reply #11   Feb 5, 2008 10:56 pm
Not absolutely sure but isn't Troybilt  an MTD product? 
Snowbound

Reply #12   Feb 5, 2008 11:34 pm
Thought I'd mention what I paid for my Craftsman 11.5 hp (Briggs & Stratton) machine for what it's worth as information on this forum.  I bought it in February 2006 during a rare, snowless winter in southern New England.  It was a time when snowblowers were being heavily discounted at Home Depot, Loews and Sears.  Home Depot, I understand, was especially agggressive in their discount pricing during this end-of-season period.  I bought this machine for $909.00.  It was the last of its size on the sales floor.  List price was $1,300.00.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by Snowbound
srgallan

Reply #13   Feb 6, 2008 8:46 am
Well checked out Snapper and a 9.5 starts at 1900$ here, so that would be out of the question.  I thank you all for your time, this is a great forum.  Special thanks to Borat who has been trying to provide assistance and great info.  For the price I may even give the MTD 8HP pro a shot, I can buy two for the majority of these.
borat

Reply #14   Feb 6, 2008 9:14 am
You're welcome bud. 

The price quoted for the Snapper is m.s.r.p.  I was quoted the same when I was shopping for the Simplicity.  I ended up getting my 9528 for $1500.00.  Try throwing a low ball at the Snapper dealer.  You never know, he/she might just go for it.  However, if you're area is experiencing lots of snow, you might be out of luck if demand for snow throwers is high.  Good luck.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42