Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > using a snowblower for a plow

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pie48

using a snowblower for a plow
Original Message   Feb 2, 2008 3:41 pm
hi all i am newbee i have a thought using  my sears 9hp snowblower for a temporary small plow.. sometimes here in buuffalo ny we have very wet snow and slush accumulation maybe just a 1-3 inchs but very wet it can not be thrown with the snowblower.. what i am thinking of doing is to put a small plow blade in front of it mounted with an easy to put on and take off connection and use the blower just to push the wet slushy snow my concern is if i could damage the traction system or the belts making them slip excessivily or some other damage any body try this? why it would not work? cause any damage? thanks pie48
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Re: using a snowblower for a plow
Reply #3   Feb 3, 2008 6:25 am
I've had to use mine as a plow before, not because I wanted to, but because I had no choice. The front end on mine wasn't engaged, and wouldn't. I had to be at work, so I poked a hole at the end of my driveway with the snowblower. Didn't hurt a thing, but my old machine is built like a brick sh*thouse with extra mortar.

Contents under pressure....
krislu

Reply #4   Feb 3, 2008 9:04 am
Well, I wouldn't recommend it. The machines were not made for it and you can damage the trannys. The manufacturers didn't have that in mind for your machine when it was designed and built. Only tractors with real trannys use plows as well as snowblowers like a Gravely or BCS or John Deere. You could do it and may or may not get away with damaging something.  It's up to you but I don't recommend doing it. - Kris

trouts2

Reply #5   Feb 3, 2008 9:50 am
I've seen snowblower manuals that showed factory plows as standard attachments.

Here is patent with drawings for one:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4023287.html

As the patient explains the base snowblower is for heavy snows and does not handle light snow or slush well. The plow covers those so not for driving down the length of a driveway after a 10 inch snow.
trouts2
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2008 10:05 am
put a impeller kit on,i did that to mine and i can blow slush and wet heavy snow almost 20 feet.

Tubby

Reply #7   Feb 3, 2008 6:30 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2ZPRmocs4
This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by a moderator
Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Feb 4, 2008 12:27 pm
Yep! I'm thinking of doing this thing in my shop, taking a piece of 45 gallon barrell of steel, the one they use  for oil, cutting the good size add an handle to lift with a locking system on the side whatever It would look likje this

krislu

Reply #9   Feb 4, 2008 6:34 pm

This is what you guys want.

- Kris

JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #10   Feb 4, 2008 7:02 pm
That Gravely is some machine! Must be worth a bundle.

Contents under pressure....
nibbler

Reply #11   Feb 6, 2008 7:43 pm
I would guess that the main problem is traction. I regularly spin the tires on my snowblower, especially if I forget to engage the auger/impeller so a straight across plow won't do much for you. If you angle it so the snow goes off to the side it might work better but I'm guessing it won't be that good.
borat

Reply #12   Feb 6, 2008 9:35 pm
I'm with Nibbler on this one.  A fixed angled blade attached with a couple of clamps onto the auger housing is what I'd use. 

I'd also use a stout plastic or rubber skirt on the bottom of the blade to reduce jarring if the blade hits a ridge or uneven crack. 

Start plowing in the middle and the angle would feed the snow to the sides in each direction.  Once it's rounded up, take the plow off and throw it.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42