Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How much increased speed will the Ariens cast iron gearbox safely handle.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnDahl

How much increased speed will the Ariens cast iron gearbox safely handle.
Original Message   Jan 22, 2008 6:38 pm
First off I am new to the site, and I have enjoyed reading the different posts. This site looked like I could get the most help for my aging snowblower. I have an  Ariens 924016 with the 8hp snowking, and 32 inch cut. My impeller pulley was destroyed while changing the impeller gearbox seals. I originally had a 9 in dia. impeller pulley and a 2.75 in diameter engine pulley. I have a 8in on the shelf. I am concerned if the cast iron gearbox will be able to handle to increased speed. With the 9 in pulley I have a ratio of 3.27/1 and with the new setup the ratio is 2.90/1. Has anyone done this, and if so has the gearbox held up? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
This message was modified Jan 23, 2008 by JohnDahl
Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: How much increased speed will the Ariens cast iron gearbox safely handle.
Reply #7   Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm
The impeller kit will add load to the engine.  By eliminating clearance between the impeller and housing, it will not allow for much slippage therefore the engine will taxed a bit more.  However, it will also move snow better provided it can make enough power to keep it from bogging down.
Snowmann

Re: How much increased speed will the Ariens cast iron gearbox safely handle.
Reply #8   Jan 23, 2008 10:30 pm
JohnDahl wrote:
First off I am new to the site, and I have enjoyed reading the different posts. This site looked like I could get the most help for my aging snowblower. I have an  Ariens 924016 with the 8hp snowking, and 32 inch cut. My impeller pulley was destroyed while changing the impeller gearbox seals. I originally had a 9 in dia. impeller pulley and a 2.75 in diameter engine pulley. I have a 8in on the shelf. I am concerned if the cast iron gearbox will be able to handle to increased speed. With the 9 in pulley I have a ratio of 3.27/1 and with the new setup the ratio is 2.90/1. Has anyone done this, and if so has the gearbox held up? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

JD,

Don't worry about the gearbox, it'll be fine. However, your auger brake will not function with a 8" pulley as-is, which will make the unit dangerous (your auger won't stop when you de-clutch). You could try to modify it, but I wouldn't recommend it. And as other have indicated, you'll be loading up the engine more and possibly recirculating more snow (faster isn't always better).

PK
Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42