Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repower question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Repower question
Original Message   Jan 13, 2008 6:59 am
Hi all,

I am the not so proud owner of an old Artic 75 made by Bolens. I am a new homeowner and I bought this machine a few months ago for $50 from a friend at work. This machine is built like a tank, but the engine, a Tecumseh H70 died yesterday when I was tinkering. It has been problematic (stalling for no apparent reason, hard to start, continuous tinkering to keep it going etc etc), but now it's dead. I was letting it warm up so that I could adjust the friction wheel clutch linkage, and it piled up. There is oil in the cylinder and covering the spark plug, and it makes a dreadful scraping sound when I turn it over. I am not a mechanic, but I've heard that sound before...

I am certain that there are great examples of this engine out there, but I don't have one. What I do have is an older trash pump with a Honda GX340 on it. The motor works great, and I am thinking the obvious...

I am disassembling the pump today to install the engine on the blower. I would look into replacing the H70 with a 8-9 hp model if I didn't already own the Honda. As I said before, I am a new homeowner and it's only short time since Christmas, so money is a concern.

I am not concerned with drilling holes, fabrication and all that. What I need is to tap into the experience of this forum to tell me if it is too much engine for the blower. It seems very well made, and all greased up and ready to go. I am not hard on equipment and don't mind keeping the throttle at 3/4.

What do you think?

Thanks!

John

Contents under pressure....
Replies: 9 - 18 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Gelid

Re: Repower question
Reply #9   Jan 23, 2008 7:09 pm
Borat is right, increased power in a snowblower is not meant to make it run faster but to prevent it from slowing down under heavier loads.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #10   Jan 23, 2008 7:35 pm
Thanks for the advice, and I took it. The new Honda works like a top and I kept the stock pulley ratios. Being a 26" cut, the engine has no trouble at all. The throwing distance increase is of no consequence though. I was a little disappointed when it wasn't shot into orbit, but so goes my life. My driveway was already cleared, but like most of us dorks, I couldn't wait to use it, and decided to clean a path in the backyard. I am sure I'd burn a belt before it ever started to choke.

While this is a little off-topic for my original post, I'd like to know if there are any tricks out there to increase throwing distance. I've got high banks from a heavy few snowfalls (eastern Canada), and have a hard time clearing them so close in. The front end of the machine has a fair bit of rust from some previous neglect, and it appears that snow sticks to this. Is there a "non-stick" paint available? Does the Krazy-Karpet trick work?

While I am full of questions, I should be full of praise. Thank you to all who've taken the time to answer me. It's very much appreciated and extremely helpful.

John

nibbler

Throwing Distance Tricks
Reply #11   Jan 23, 2008 8:03 pm
  1. Make sure you feed enough snow into the machine, if its not loaded the governor does not kick in and you are at a fast idle. I go as fast as I can without snowplowing, you cna usually hear the engine start to roar;
  2. Most 2 stage machine have the impeller turning clockwise ( from the operator position). This means that the snow will be thrown faster to the right ( in line with the way the impeller is moving);
  3. Many people have posted glowing comments on the Clarence impeller paddle kit, details can be found here;
  4. Change the pulley ratios, carefully and not too much, vibration goes up with the square of the speed ( 2x speed = 4x vibration)
Its not surprising that the throwing distance doesn't change. If the engine is running at about the same RPM then the impeller is turning at about the same speed. This means the snow is leaving the chute at about the same speed and the same maximum volume can be thrown. More power means the machine is less likely to bog down under load, not that it will travel faster.
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #12   Jan 28, 2008 7:22 pm
Thanks for your help. I never thought about pushing the machine quicker into the snow. Good thinking. The machine works a lot better now that it's always got a mouthful.

Once again tapping into the forum's experience, I do have a small problem. The old belt cover is no good anymore. The new motor is 1.5" higher than the one it replaced, so it hits the chute auger. Also the shaft on the honda is quite a bit longer, so it no longer fits. As I said earlier, the engine is off a pump, and I will be using that in the spring, so I am not going to cut the shaft.

I am trying to avoid sitting down with tin snips and light gauge metal to make one. I'd go through a lot of metal trying to get one to fit just right. I couldn't care less what it looks like, so are there any "homemade" solutions out there? Plastic?

Thanks in advance!

John

Bill_H

Reply #13   Jan 28, 2008 10:16 pm
Aluminum flashing, won't take you but 5 minutes to make one, it cuts and bends real easy by hand. Try it out once just to make sure. It won't last long, so once you like the shape, mark it, flatten it, and use it as a template to mark up a piece of heavier sheet steel. That way you'll only have to bend, cut, & drill the real stuff once.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #14   Jan 29, 2008 12:21 pm
Thanks Bill, something to consider!

borat

Re: Repower question - Some Simplicity pics
Reply #15   Jan 29, 2008 7:54 pm
Here are some pics of my 9.5 hp, 28" Simplicity doing it's thing.  The pics are not very high quality due to being captured frames from a video made with our digital camera.  It does give you an idea of what kind of distance and volume can be achieved.  The only modification to this machine is the Krazy Karpet liner in the chute and deflector.   I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I'll tell you, this machine can really move a lot of snow with relative ease.    Hasn't snowed here for a couple of weeks but we're getting it now.  Yeah baby!!!!

JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #16   Jan 30, 2008 6:23 pm
Borat,

That's what I am talking about! Have you used Clarence's kit? The combination of that kit and low-friction plastic lining would be deadly..

Do you know of any non-stick paint? I have seen the spray on stuff that keeps snow from sticking, but my machine is old. There's quite a bit of surface rust/pitting that holds snow.

Thanks

John

borat

Reply #17   Jan 30, 2008 7:41 pm
No impeller kit installed.  That's a stock Simplicity 9528 other than the Wacky Karpet in the chute.   Those things are built to impressive standards.   They don't really need an impeller kit as you can see from the pics.  As far as paint goes, all gloss paint will be slippery.  The problem is that end of driveway snow mixed with gravel and salt will take the paint off.  That's why I went with the chute liner.  If you go with paint, make sure you smooth the the surface by sand blasting and/or sanding.  Get a paint that will remain flexible in cold weather.   The more coats you put on, the longer it will last.  Paint the chute every year and you should keep the rust at bay.   Good luck.   
nibbler

Carboard template
Reply #18   Jan 31, 2008 8:55 am
If you just want to make a template use cardboard, its stiff enough and easy to cut. Join different sections with masking tape. Once its right use it to give a layout for heavier sheet metal or plastic. If you want to get fancy use clear lexan.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42