Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sno thro engine replacement-which one?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slickclay

Sno thro engine replacement-which one?
Original Message   Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm
Hi. My 6hp tec seized up  (on my Ariens old snothro)and I will swap it with new Intek. I have both an auger unit and mower deck for this and I need to confirm (question 1) that I should get an air-filtered engine. I can get a great price on a 7.5hp Snow Intek OHV, 12C314-0207 snowblower engine but I mow with it in the summer, so it demands an air filter. Does anyone know of  how to retrofit an airfilter onto a snowblower engine? Otherwise, I can only afford a 6.5 hp intek and while the 6hp tecumseh worked well, I would have like to go close to 8 hp. Anythoughts on the 6.5hp Intek IC PRO, 123435-0168 ?  It is a air filtered, tiller rated engine. Thank you all who contribute. Sincerely, Rick
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
slickclay

Re: Sno thro engine replacement-which one?
Reply #2   Jan 10, 2008 2:34 pm
 My old H60 would stall on me and require frequent adjustments. There isn't anyroom on the H60 for mounting an airfilter as far as I can see and that is why I asked. I haven't looked at the Intek engines and I wondered if I could "wallpaper" the inside of the carburator housing (which I assume looks like a slotted or louvered box) with filter material or remove it and mount a summer version made from another box.. The other point that I have read here in the archives was the risk of overheating a snow engine when running it in warm months above 80 degrees F because of the heated carburation; My old H60 would stall on me and require frequent  carb adjustments. The engine may give me problems eEither way, I guess from what I have read  below 0 (for the warm weather or regular engine) or above 80 degrees (running the snow engine). Thanks again. Rick
borat

Reply #3   Jan 10, 2008 3:13 pm
Try this place.  They have a large selection of all kinds of small engines.  There has to be one there that will suit your needs.  The prices are very good as well.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine

slickclay

Reply #4   Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm
Thank you  Borat, for your suggestion, but I took your advice already.  My problem isn't where to buy from as I found these two engines at small engine warehouse in the first place. My problem is getting the best engine for my buck. To rephrase, my Ariens motor seized. This sno thro is actually a  tractor that  has two attachments that I use. One is for summer mowing and the other is for winter snow blowing. Snow blower engines have no air filter (required for the dusty mowing conditions that I have) and could have problems running when air temps are over 80 degrees. I don't really have to mow in the heat, so, my problem is "can I attach an airfilter to the 7.5hp Snow Intek OHV ? The guy I talked to at smallenginewarehouse recommended that I buy the 6.5hp Intek IC PRO instead. But I read on this board that could have problems running it in cold weather. So, what do I buy for my dual use Ariens tractor? Sincerely appreciated, Rick
borat

Reply #5   Jan 10, 2008 5:12 pm
I assume that your old engine had an air filtration system of sorts on it right?  If it did, you could try rig that system to fit the new engine.  Also, compare the air filtration system on the Intek I/C to the old engine.  If they're similar, the engine should work fine.  The problem with summer engines in winter is that the carb and surrounding area is unheated by either ambient temperatures or from heat generated by the engine itself.  Icing in/on the carburetor can occur causing fuel/air mixture problems.  If you engine will be running in an eclosure that can capture some of the engine heat, it should operate with no problem in cold weather.   I'd go with the I/C engine.  Another thing to consider is the actual available horse power from the same sized engine.  If you would like more power, there's a very good chance that an eight h.p. might just slip right into your machine.   
slickclay

Reply #6   Jan 10, 2008 6:30 pm
Thank you Borat for continuing to help me out. That old HH60 tecumseh never had an air filter on it at all. As I have read, winter engines don't have filters and this one does not have any place for it and the small engine mechanic who has worked on it through the years never said to me that it was missing. I haven't looked at the IC in person, so I don't know if a heat reflector shield of some kind can be installed. The price of the IC is $249 6.5hp Intek IC PRO, 3/4" Shaft, OHV, Recoil & Electric, NO ALTERNATOR, Great for Troy Bilt Horse compared to the price of the Intek $260 7.5hp Snow Intek OHV 3/4"x2 5/16" Shaft, Electric Start Provisions, 3 Amp Alternator. As you can see, the price of the Intek can't be beat which is why I want to put an airfilter on it so I use it with my mower. Any suggestions on putting an airfilter on this Intek? Sincerely, Rick
borat

Reply #7   Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm
Don't forget that the I/C engine has a cast iron bore vs. aluminum bore on the Intek snow engine.   Of the two engines, the I/C is probably most suitable for both cold and warm weather service.  If need be, you can remove the air filter in winter.  If the engine, is kept relatively warm by the heat it generates when installed on your machine and the carb intake is protected from inhaling snow, it should have no problem in winter. 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #8   Jan 10, 2008 8:52 pm
Some of the engines being offered for sale on the engine seller sites are those that have a fixed throtle. Make sure that the one you order has the throtle type (fixed or adjustable) that is proper for your application. I was suprised to see Snow Inteks listed with both a cast iron bore and a fixed throtle carb. 

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Professorpi

Reply #9   Jan 11, 2008 1:46 am

Rick, I've done some research into this b/c my H70 is smoking and I'd like to replace it. First, in the owners manual when using the ariens for mowing you are supposed to remove the heat box and install a filter. Second, many non-"snow" engines work in cool weather just fine don't sweat it. I'm not sure a filter can be attached to the snow inteks; they seem to have very tight packaging, therefore definitely go with a filtered engine. the I/C pro should work well, other engines that have gotten my interest are the 6.5 HP Honda clones (I just saw pepboys have them on sale for $99) and the Robin 7HP (~$325) has a lot of torque and revs to 4000rpm which will increase your throwing distance. BTW, how do you like the mower attachment I was thinking about getting one? Keep us informed.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Professorpi
nibbler

Reply #10   Jan 11, 2008 8:14 am
It was my understanding that engines designed for cold weather use have reduced air circulation ( generally a shroud) so that they run "warm enough". Therefore they would run too hot in the summer.

It might be a matter of taking the shroud off or it might not be that significant if the engine runs 40C (72F) or so hotter.
slickclay

Reply #11   Jan 11, 2008 10:08 am
Professorpi; I have been looking at some very low priced engines on Ebay and elsewhere but I don't trust them because I don't have trust in Chinese made knockoffs and their uses are for anything from a go cart to utility. I have learned for the web that I want torque and hp in the low rpm range, unlike a go cart engine that would want speed. I  am satisfied using  the mower deck for light brush cutting, knotweed and high grass cutting.

Borat; I found a site http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/tecumseh_snow_engines_feature-specs.htm stating the tec has a cast iron bore.

mm14; I almost made that mistake but I am reading alot of webpostings and learned that ahead of time. Thanks

Nibbler; I wondered if the shroud was removable. I am going to make some calls and get more info

I am find great pricing to MTD shaft engines but I can't find a pulley to go on it. I also wonder if I need to change the pulley size ratio if I go to a larger engine than the 6hp that died.

Thanks

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42