Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp won't start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Snowbound

Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp won't start
Original Message   Dec 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Sears had a recall last summer-fall to fix these machines because of a concern about fire when primed.  They offered an oil change, new spark plug along with the new fix. 

The technician arrived at 9 am on a September day and acted very nervous and shaky when he worked on the machine.  I asked him if he was ok and he responded that he had too many recall type service calls and not enough time in the day.  He kept rushing and scattered screws and parts all over the place.  I gave him a plastic container to hold the parts while he worked.  When he put it all back together and was ready to leave, I asked him to start the machine for a test run.  He ran it for thirty seconds or so, shut it down and I assumed it was ok.  I should have test run it again in November but took it for granted that all was ok. 

I have only used this machine ONCE.  It was last February 2007.  Purchased in February 2006, it sat for a year unused in a snowless winter.  I have a feeling the troubled technician's bad day is now haunting me.  Sears can only send a tech out on January 2, 2008 so I'm stuck with a machine sitting out half the winter.  (I did have the urge not to have Sears do this fix but they were fairly aggressive with mailings, etc.)  The machine is also under the extended warranty I purchased. 

Anyone else out there who had Sears call on them for this so-called fix?

I tried the pull start first with choke on full (primed with two shots as required).  After waiting several minutes, I then tried the electric start after I walked through the owner's manual check list with everything in place and it still won't start!  I returned 30 minutes later to try again and still no start.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
frdf

Re: Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp won't start
Reply #10   Dec 16, 2007 3:13 pm
Reference your problem.  Not familiar with your model number, in Canada they start with a C and have nine numbers or so after.
Anyway, I had a SEARS Craftsman 11 H.P. Tecumseh and gave it to my son just a week ago.  It was a medium frame and I used
if for over 6 years.  Never had a hitch until the first snow storm of the season and it ran for about 5 minutes and then quit. 
It wasn't getting gas. lots of spark.  You could prime it, it would run and then die.   Now taking off the carb is a pain but I did anyway
and cleaned it as best I could, installed it back on the engine and the same thing.  It would run for a few seconds and then sputter away.
It came to me that maybe it was the vent in the gas cap.  Something so simple couldn't be the it but that was what had been
causing the problem.
The gas caps come with a splash retainer inside ( aluminum ) and at the end of the last season when I was putting the blower away,
it had fallen out.  I screwed the cap on and forgot about it.  I couldn't get the piece back in so took a little gasket material, punched 4
small holes around the edge and inserted it in the cap. I also drilled a hole in the top of the cap.  The center of the gas cap has a protrusion
on the inside and keeps the  gasket material from going
flat.  The 4 holes are for breathing purposes to vent.  The old caps used gasket material and were punched with vent holes as well as
a physical hole drilled in the top of the cap.  The newer caps when tightened, still allow venting but around the sides, when mine broke,
and I tightend it ,it literally sealed off the venting.
When I had completed the fix I primed and started the engine.  It didn't do a full revolution and was running normally, blew me away!
Now it may not be the case for you but worth a quick check.
I have a large frame SEARS Craftsman which I purchased last Jan.  It had the same recall and the guy came by and did the fix in about
10 minutes.  They only thing they could screw up would be the choke but my unit will start 90% of the time on a prime without choking
however,it is a B&S engine.  Good luck........

Snowbound

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2007 10:07 pm
My engine is also a Briggs & Stratton.  Today I followed Borat's advice by priming six to eight times.  It started with the pull start then quit in a few swconds.  I then used the electric start, the engine caught, I pumped the primer while it ran for probably twenty seconds ( a long time) and then it stopped.  Did this a few times and I finally quit.  I'll leave it up to the Sears tech.  By the way, I also tried it with a loose gas cap and nothing happened.

This new machine always started quickly and ran without a hiccup until the field tech did the recall fix.

NHsnowman

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2007 9:02 am
Hi,

I have the 8.5 hp version of this snowthrower and also had sears come about the recall over the summer. My problem is very similar to what I am reading here as well. The problem with mine isn't getting it started (it starts great) but as soon as I try to blow snow with it,  if it comes under any kind of load it dies and then will not restart for about an hour or two.

Thus I can usually make one pass up the driveway and then it will die on me.  Or if there is only about an inch of snow it will go fine but anything more taxing on it and it dies. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this?

tried dry gas and that did nothing to help. Called Sears and they were not much help either they said they can't even come look at it until Jan 2 2008. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jubol

Re: Craftsman Snow thrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp won't start
Reply #13   Dec 17, 2007 11:11 am
Next time buy from a local dealer, you would be up and running now!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Snowbound

Reply #14   Jan 2, 2008 7:46 pm
The Sears repair tech arrived today (late this afternoon while being told his ETA was between 8 & 5) and he was not sure what went wrong with my machine after trying to start it.  He drained the gas and added his own.  Still wouldn't start.  Finally with lots of spray ether and pumping of the primer it ran weakly on full choke.  When he started to release the choke slowly, the machine would falter with an occassional backfire.  It simply struggled along on full choke and wouldn't run normally.

He thought it needed a new carburator so he ordered one and I parked the machined.  According to his schedule controlled by his manager, it will be installed on Saturday, Jan. 12, between 8am and 5pm.  Should be interesting if the next fix doesn't work.  We could continue on into springtime.  There isn't any snow in the next ten days or so forecasted for eastern Mass.

FYI: said he hadn't heard of any problems other than mine after the recall fix. 

borat

Reply #15   Jan 2, 2008 7:54 pm
Did the service tech even pull the float bowl off of the carb?  If not, he's not much of a tech.  Pull the float bowl off yourself to see if there's debris,  water or ice in there.  Could be something as simple as that.  Could be the float needle being stuck closed thus not allowing fuel to flow into the float bowl. 
Snowbound

Reply #16   Jan 9, 2008 2:16 pm
Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2008

Received my new carburator yesterday afternoon ordered by the tech during his last  visit.  He'll be here on Saturday, Jan. 12th.

The part number on the box and packing slip is 794593

The part number in the owner's manual is 696737.  He took the part number from the owner's manual when he ordered the carburator. 

The plot thickens.  I hoping the new number is one that supercedes the old (wishfull thinking) with a new-and-improved carb.

WX forecast over the next few days or so is rain and mild weather.

borat

Reply #17   Jan 9, 2008 3:42 pm
That is truly a pathetic attempt to solve your problem.  I'm not a practicing mechanic although I do have a fair amount of mechanical training and a great deal of mechanical experience.  Timmy the tech should have at least pulled the fuel bowl off of the carb to look for debris, ice or water.  Personally, I'd have pulled the carb off on day one for a thorough inspection and cleaning.  A chimpanzee can do R & R (remove and replace).  Sad to see the level of incompetence that the big box stores have reduced their service staff to.   I'd be some pissed off if I were in your shoes.   

Not to be a smart ass, but have you thought of buying yourself a small engine repair manual for simple repair work?   Even if you learned the basics of carburetor operation you'd probably be able to solve 90% of your small engine problems.  Very, very seldom is engine starting/running problems caused by anything else.  A little knowledge and a simple tool set can do wonders.  The satisfaction of doing it yourself is also rewarding.  Not to mention the money you'll save.    

Best of luck to you.

Snowbound

Reply #18   Jan 9, 2008 6:06 pm
I appreciate your concerns and getting pissed off on my end doesn't help daily life.  I'm saving that for Saturday when he arrives and I may be told to wait two weeks or so for another repair visit when the correct part is shipped.

This machine is under warranty so I don't intend to tinker with it.  It is, however, a mechanical learning experience for me and we'll see what happens.  I'm retired so I have plenty of time to get on the phone and work through the Sears network.

Snowbound

Reply #19   Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm
The Sear's tech (same guy) was here on Saturday and he replaced the carburator.  The new carb part number superceded the old one, which explains the difference.  That was a great relief at the moment.  The machine started immediately on the second pull, he slowly backed off on the choke and we stood, watched and listened.  Sounded good.  It ran well.

After he left, I went to start the machine for the purpose of burning off the remaining gas in the tank (about two inches from the bottom).  It started and ran for 20 seconds or so, slowed on its own and died.  I thought it was out of gas.  I remembered last sping when I ran it to burn off remaining gas that the bottom of the tank could be partially seen.  The machine just would not start this time yet there's enough gas in there for a run.

I called the Sears number and they said he would return later in the day.  He didn't.  I called them on Sunday and he's scheduled to be here tomorrow  (Tuesday).  I asked what it would take to turn this in and get a new replacement and she said it would be up to the technician (I doubt I'd be eligable of course but needed to know).

I also got a quick tuturiol on the carb and how the screws on the bottom which houses the float are designed not to be removed.  The tech said the screws (look like brass) would distort and he thinks they're mounted with loctite.  This is a mean and powerfull vibrating machine so it made sense.  Older aircraft engines, piston and jet , are filled with safety wire locking the screws.

By the way, it snowed today and we got about five or six inches. . . .heavy and wet and made for 11.5 hp.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42