Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
IntrinsicValue

Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!
Original Message   Dec 15, 2007 10:31 am
I'd like to buy a snowblower (for $1,500 or less if possible).  I have a normal sized driveway (10 feet by 80 feet) and get pretty heavy snow as I'm in the snowbelt here in northeast Ohio.  If you guys could help me witih the exact brand/model to get, it would help me out a lot.

1.  I read that the Briggs & Stratton engines are better than Tecumseh -- how true is this?

2.  Research has indicated the best brand names (in approximate order) are:  Honda, Simplicity (Snapper), Ariens, Toro -- is this fairly accurate?

3.  However, since my budget is $1,500 I'm looking for the best VALUE too (not necessarily the best blower).  I'm thinking the best value might be: Simplicity, Toro, Ariens, Honda -- is this accurate or am I way off?

4.  If I spend an extra $500 will I get something SUBSTANTIALLY better than what a $1,500 (or less)  snowthrower can give me? 

I'm not into bells and whistles (i.e. I don't want hand-warmers or electronic shute controls).  If you can offer any advice on the exact brand/model to get, I'd appreciate it!!

(P.S.  I also have a 600 squarefoot deck - is it OK to use a snowblower on a deck?)

Replies: 7 - 16 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
EdwardoKarochio

Re: Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!
Reply #7   Dec 16, 2007 9:16 am
I have a Simplicity witht he "easy-turn" feature.  I don't know why, but it turns easier in either direction when the trigger is activated.
jubol

Reply #8   Dec 16, 2007 10:31 am
FW,

Which Husqvarna model are you looking at ? ?

I have a 927STE OHV engine, with trigger steering.

Squeeze right, turn right, squeeze left, turn left !

It is a very solid machine!!

Would buy it again!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
fireworks

Reply #9   Dec 16, 2007 10:32 am
EdwardoKarochio wrote:
I have a Simplicity witht he "easy-turn" feature.  I don't know why, but it turns easier in either direction when the trigger is activated.

How exactly does this work?  I take it it doesn't power itself around a turn?  You have to push it left or right?

I have to make 90 degree turns while in the snow.  How would it handle this?

borat

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2007 10:57 am
fireworks wrote:
How exactly does this work?  I take it it doesn't power itself around a turn?  You have to push it left or right?

I have to make 90 degree turns while in the snow.  How would it handle this?

You pull a small lever on the left side handle.  It dis-engages two wheel traction drive to allow one wheel traction drive.  One wheel is still driving but turning is much  easier in either direction.  Trust me, it's simple and it works very well.  You will also like the one handed operation feature.  When you depress the wheel drive lever after depressing the auger drive lever, you can take you right hand off of the handle to operate controls and the auger keeps turning.  Releasing the wheel drive lever also disengages the auger drive.  The mechanics of it are simple yet effective.  Not too much to adjust or go wrong.
fireworks

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2007 1:01 pm
jubol wrote:
FW,

Which Husqvarna model are you looking at ? ?

I have a 927STE OHV engine, with trigger steering.

Squeeze right, turn right, squeeze left, turn left !

It is a very solid machine!!

Would buy it again!!

Fred

Maybe this one?

http://www.prestonhardware.com/estore-product-details.asp?id=24682

The part I find difficult is finding the details of things like bearing/bushings, belt change difficulty, etc.  It looks good for the cash.  Especially the power steering.  I assume this means it actually will use power to turn versus a wheel disengaging and you pushing it around?

It's the 90 degree turn in the snow that I unsure about.

fireworks

Reply #12   Dec 16, 2007 1:04 pm
borat wrote:
You pull a small lever on the left side handle.  It dis-engages two wheel traction drive to allow one wheel traction drive.  One wheel is still driving but turning is much  easier in either direction.  Trust me, it's simple and it works very well.  You will also like the one handed operation feature.  When you depress the wheel drive lever after depressing the auger drive lever, you can take you right hand off of the handle to operate controls and the auger keeps turning.  Releasing the wheel drive lever also disengages the auger drive.  The mechanics of it are simple yet effective.  Not too much to adjust or go wrong.

How well does it turn when it's in 12 inch or more of snow?
The one hand thing sounds good. I think simple has merit!
jubol

Reply #13   Dec 16, 2007 1:07 pm
Almost the same blower as mine!!

Difference, yours 10.5 Tec L head, mine 9.5 Tec OHV.

It is a great machine that is user friendly!!

Turns on a Dime!

The one hand allows you to work chute controls without stopping!

Also has infinate speeds.

I would buy mine again!!

Fred

This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
fireworks

Reply #14   Dec 16, 2007 1:52 pm
jubol wrote:
Almost the same blower as mine!!

Difference, yours 10.5 Tec L head, mine 9.5 Tec OHV.

It is a great machine that is user friendly!!

Turns on a Dime!

The one hand allows you to work chute controls without stopping!

Also has infinate speeds.

I would buy mine again!!

Fred

Husky's web site doesn't even list your model and all of the blowers are Fixed Disc.

I don't get it.

jubol

Reply #15   Dec 16, 2007 1:55 pm
Mine is 3 years old!!

All have disk drives, just that Huskies are infinite and others 2, 3 5, or 6 speeds.

Fred

borat

Reply #16   Dec 16, 2007 2:04 pm
fireworks wrote:
 How well does it turn when it's in 12 inch or more of snow?
The one hand thing sounds good. I think simple has merit!

It's like any other snow thrower in deep snow.  If the snow is heavy there will be resistance regardless of what machine you are using.  I used my Simplicity a couple of weeks ago after a big 20+ inch snow fall of heavy drift snow.  It just ate it up.  If I have trouble getting it to turn in very deep snow, I just use the machine to make a big enough hole to turn it around.  You'd be doing the same regardless of one or two wheel drive. 
Replies: 7 - 16 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42