Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
IntrinsicValue

Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!
Original Message   Dec 15, 2007 10:31 am
I'd like to buy a snowblower (for $1,500 or less if possible).  I have a normal sized driveway (10 feet by 80 feet) and get pretty heavy snow as I'm in the snowbelt here in northeast Ohio.  If you guys could help me witih the exact brand/model to get, it would help me out a lot.

1.  I read that the Briggs & Stratton engines are better than Tecumseh -- how true is this?

2.  Research has indicated the best brand names (in approximate order) are:  Honda, Simplicity (Snapper), Ariens, Toro -- is this fairly accurate?

3.  However, since my budget is $1,500 I'm looking for the best VALUE too (not necessarily the best blower).  I'm thinking the best value might be: Simplicity, Toro, Ariens, Honda -- is this accurate or am I way off?

4.  If I spend an extra $500 will I get something SUBSTANTIALLY better than what a $1,500 (or less)  snowthrower can give me? 

I'm not into bells and whistles (i.e. I don't want hand-warmers or electronic shute controls).  If you can offer any advice on the exact brand/model to get, I'd appreciate it!!

(P.S.  I also have a 600 squarefoot deck - is it OK to use a snowblower on a deck?)

Replies: 1 - 10 of 29NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Buying a Snowblower - $1500 or less - Advice needed!
Reply #1   Dec 15, 2007 11:14 am
IntrinsicValue wrote:
I'd like to buy a snowblower (for $1,500 or less if possible).  I have a normal sized driveway (10 feet by 80 feet) and get pretty heavy snow as I'm in the snowbelt here in northeast Ohio.  If you guys could help me witih the exact brand/model to get, it would help me out a lot.

1.  I read that the Briggs & Stratton engines are better than Tecumseh -- how true is this?

2.  Research has indicated the best brand names (in approximate order) are:  Honda, Simplicity (Snapper), Ariens, Toro -- is this fairly accurate?

3.  However, since my budget is $1,500 I'm looking for the best VALUE too (not necessarily the best blower).  I'm thinking the best value might be: Simplicity, Toro, Ariens, Honda -- is this accurate or am I way off?

4.  If I spend an extra $500 will I get something SUBSTANTIALLY better than what a $1,500 (or less)  snowthrower can give me? 

I'm not into bells and whistles (i.e. I don't want hand-warmers or electronic shute controls).  If you can offer any advice on the exact brand/model to get, I'd appreciate it!!

(P.S.  I also have a 600 squarefoot deck - is it OK to use a snowblower on a deck?)

Of course you realize that this is a subjective matter and "opinions"  will vary.   I have extensive mechanical experience and would say I know quality/value when I see it.   I will try to answer your questions as objectively as I can.

1.  Not necessarily true.  Recently more snow throwers have been equipped with B&S over head valve engines which are better in performance than the predominant L head engine which Tecumseh have provided for  tens of thousands of machines.   Their L head engines are relatively crude but certainly reliable.  Tecumseh now is offering over head valve snow engines on certain models of snow throwers.  Do I have a preference?  Yes.  I would take the B&S ohv engine ahead of a Tecumseh of the same design simply because I think B&S  is more available and as a company they're going forward while Tecumseh flounders.

2.  I agree with that.

3. I rate it as follows:  Simplicity, Ariens (be careful of which model you choose), Toro (do not pay a cent more for it than the price of any equivalent Simplicity or Ariens.  You should also look at Husquvarna and John Deere.   I think they are made by AYP but to higher standards than other brand names made by the same manufacturer.  As far as Honda goes, forget it.  I have nothing but praise for the machine but for that kind of money, it insults my intelligence to pay such an extreme premium and not get the same percentage in reliability and performance.   I'd have to live for 200 years for a Honda to pay for itself.   My preference is Simplicity/Snapper .  Hands down.  It was the best value that I could find for the money. 

4.  Considering your caveat to no. 4, I'd say no.

I have used a snow thrower on a wooden deck.  If your skids are worn or scraper bar is too low, you will gouge the wood.  If I were to use it on a deck, I'd manufacture a pair of plastic or Teflon shoes to put under the skids while working on wood.  It would be simple enough to do.  Just look around for anything of suitable material that will fit and fasten it to the skids with quick release pins.   Even a couple of pieces of molded   ABS plastic pipe would work.  Just split it lengthwise to fit it over the skid,  heat it to make it pliable and drill holes and fasten it. 

Hope this helps you with your decision. 

This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by borat
Gelid

Reply #2   Dec 15, 2007 3:19 pm
IntrinsicValue wrote:
I have a normal sized driveway (10 feet by 80 feet) and get pretty heavy snow as I'm in the snowbelt here in northeast Ohio.

What matters is how often you get that pretty heavy snow. I can't imagine myself buying a $1500-$2000 machine that I would use only occasionally (10 times a year or less) unless the average dumping was of obscene proportions, 12 inches or more. But that's just me, after all having a big machine can't hurt (except perhaps your deck). What you definitely don't need in your area is a large tracked machine, those are for colder areas that have months-long snow cover, ice and frequent precipitation. I just described my hometown. Tracked Hondas are worth their price tag up here but like Borat says in Ohio that would be overkill and you'd never get to use it often enough to justify the expense. Same goes for tracked Ariens Pro, they cost almost as much as a Honda anyway.

If I were you I'd get a reasonably good quality 8 to 10hp in the $1000-$1200 price range and buy a little electric Toro for the deck. The plastic auger is definitely more deck-friendly than metal. Now you just lost any justification for a tracked machine , in case you were thinking of having those tracks climb the deck stairs. It CAN be done but it's not as practical as it sounds and having the snowblower climb down the stairs once the deck is done can be VERY tricky.    

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
borat

Reply #3   Dec 15, 2007 3:57 pm
Hey Gelid:

I see you own a Honda.  As I mentioned, it's probably the best machine out there but certainly not the best value out there.   I cannot justify that kind of money.  I live in Northwestern Ontario.  We get plenty of snow.  I have a 110' long driveway with a 35' x 35' turn around at the top.  It has a 10% grade with the road being 11 feet lower than my garage.  I have used two wheeled snow throwers for almost twenty years and never once felt like I ever needed a tracked machine. The new Simplicity I just bought will throw snow much further than I need it to go and it's pleasant to operate.  For the price of one equivalent Honda, I could have two Simps sitting in my garage.  If I wanted to, I could have a Honda.  And, as much as I respect and appreciate the brand, I have trouble coming to terms to spend that kind of money for the difference.  Hell, I could have a two week vacation in Costa Rica for difference in price between the Honda and the Simp.   Well, this year it will be Panama instead.   Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Honda dealer here is the slimiest gouger the world will likely see.   Here's a picture of one over-night snow fall a couple weeks ago.

This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by borat
fireworks

Reply #4   Dec 15, 2007 4:35 pm
Hi,

I'm also looking for a snow blower for under $1500.  Never owned one before so you'll have to forgive any dumb questions.

I have a pretty standard driveway; fits 2x2 cars with a 5 degree slope.  I also have an L shaped walkway to the front door that is approximately 35-40 feet if you add the two lengths together and its 4 feet wide.  There is also a walk way to the side door that is approximate 40 feet in length and 2 feet wide.

I'd like to be able to use the snow blower to clear all of these areas so I think what I'm looking for is:

- In place turning both left and right as I have 90 degree turns for both walkways

- ~26 inch clearing

Things I think are worth having:

- OHV engine

- Bearings

- 2 stage

- Steel instead of plastic.  But this is only because I don't know if the plastics are proven.

- Simple chute control as I'm going to have to move the chute a fair amount with the 90 degree turns

- long term durability.  I don't want to have to fix it in the first 10 years.  I don't mind doing 'wearable' components but I'll pay for things like bushings versus bearings

Lower priority but I'd like to have them:

- low noise

- ability to be left outside.  I'm assuming this isn't a problem :)

- upgrade path.  Not a deal killer, but it would be nice to pay for a solid chassis and add things over time to make it better.

The Simplicity L9528E seems like a good buy any other suggestions?

borat

Reply #5   Dec 15, 2007 4:55 pm
You're on the right track.  Stay the course.  Go with the Simplicity or Snapper.  

See you in Panama.....

fireworks

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2007 7:51 pm
borat wrote:
You're on the right track.  Stay the course.  Go with the Simplicity or Snapper.  

See you in Panama.....

Thanks! Mostly your comments lead me to his conclusion anyways!

What about the left/right turning though?  I don't understand how the Simp can turn both directions.  It seems like it can only pivot one way.

Is this true?

What about this?  Any good?

http://international.husqvarna.com/node1556.aspx?pid=1214

EdwardoKarochio

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2007 9:16 am
I have a Simplicity witht he "easy-turn" feature.  I don't know why, but it turns easier in either direction when the trigger is activated.
jubol

Reply #8   Dec 16, 2007 10:31 am
FW,

Which Husqvarna model are you looking at ? ?

I have a 927STE OHV engine, with trigger steering.

Squeeze right, turn right, squeeze left, turn left !

It is a very solid machine!!

Would buy it again!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
fireworks

Reply #9   Dec 16, 2007 10:32 am
EdwardoKarochio wrote:
I have a Simplicity witht he "easy-turn" feature.  I don't know why, but it turns easier in either direction when the trigger is activated.

How exactly does this work?  I take it it doesn't power itself around a turn?  You have to push it left or right?

I have to make 90 degree turns while in the snow.  How would it handle this?

borat

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2007 10:57 am
fireworks wrote:
How exactly does this work?  I take it it doesn't power itself around a turn?  You have to push it left or right?

I have to make 90 degree turns while in the snow.  How would it handle this?

You pull a small lever on the left side handle.  It dis-engages two wheel traction drive to allow one wheel traction drive.  One wheel is still driving but turning is much  easier in either direction.  Trust me, it's simple and it works very well.  You will also like the one handed operation feature.  When you depress the wheel drive lever after depressing the auger drive lever, you can take you right hand off of the handle to operate controls and the auger keeps turning.  Releasing the wheel drive lever also disengages the auger drive.  The mechanics of it are simple yet effective.  Not too much to adjust or go wrong.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 29NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42