Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

"Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Original Message   Dec 13, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi all,
     Went upstate this past weekend to Cortland County (near Syracuse) to visit my mother. While I was there I swung by an old Ariens dealer to see if he had any of those snow cabs for my Ariens 8526LE. When i walked in I was greated with lots of nice machines....Simplicitys all over and a bunch of Toros. But no Ariens...so I just wondered around and was really digging Toro's new quick aim snow shoot! Pretty cool! But lots of plastic.... The Simplicitys look rugged and well built. Then the salesman/owner came out to ask if he could help. He didn't have any of the cabs but they were due in a week or so....then I asked him "where are the Ariens machines?" His reply.... "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Is there any truth to this? He went on to say that warranty work was killing him...his shop was full of repairs...and mainly all with the same problems. He said that the tranys were a major problem....plastic bushings causing problems and some other things that I can't remember. He said that after the last 2 years, he gave up.

Clarks garden power supply
They carry Simplicity, Ferris, Echo, and Toro...and no longer Ariens:(

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 32 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowman

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #32   Dec 15, 2007 8:22 am
My 2004 9 HP from HD has run flawlessly.  Purchased as a serviced unit on sale and with a coupon, but that was a joke of sorts.  The machine appeared to never have been started, and the fuel line was kinked and blocked just under the tank and before fed into the engine.  Straightened that out, it started right up and has run fine.  I only regret not getting the DLX with a differential, but that's my problem.

I bought it to replace a 1970 7 HP because the growing number of times it wouldn't start I really had a problem.  Kept it as a "backup" but prefer using it to the newer one and put a NOS engine on it.  Use the new one to throw distance and do the initial "dig", and the nimble and easy to turn older one, which is still incapable of a long snow throw, to cleanup with.

The local dealer really has his "nose in the air".  I only once bought a belt there in desperation.  He made it seem  like I was buying a bag of gold, and charged accordingly.

I see nothing wrong with buying one from HD.  Seems everyone here is inclined enough to assemble one from the box, and shouldn't be set back if "Timmy" doesn't set it up to perfection.
Gelid

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #33   Dec 15, 2007 2:23 pm
snowman wrote:
I see nothing wrong with buying one from HD.  Seems everyone here is inclined enough to assemble one from the box, and shouldn't be set back if "Timmy" doesn't set it up to perfection.

The problem is not so much fixing Timmy's assembly goofs -although this will be an issue for many people- as getting the unit seriously serviced under warranty should it require it. They won't always give you a new one and more than likely won't lend you one while yours is being serviced (elsewhere) like my dealer does for his customers who don't have a backup.   

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Tubby

Reply #34   Dec 15, 2007 11:15 pm
Quoted in whole from another post on this board:

Re: Help on Ariens model 932101
Reply #6   Today 10:19 pm
Quote Quote

Ok heads up to all you Ariens 824 932101 owners Purchased from the Home Depot or other Ariens dealers . The Important thing here is 824 932101. Let me tell you about my experience not unlike what you are experiencing  and others as well I am sure. I purchased this product brand spanking new from the Home Depot in December of 2000 In MA for $ 999.00 total of $1050.00 with tax..

This machine never worked right from day one. Would not throw the snow. You would have to stop or run it very slow. To all of you wanna be mechanics with a quick fix please take a chill and let me finish before you offer your solutions. Plus they will not fix the problem. Took it to an Ariens Dealer in Natick MA that i do not recommend. The unit was 2 weeks old and they charged me 85 bucks and it was under warranty. They adjusted the machine and installed a new auger belt. Nothing else said. I called Ariens corporate nice woman took care of the problem and got my money returned to me with her corp appologies.

So guess what? You got it, the machine starts doing the same thing. At this point I am bulls$%*. Being mechanically inclined I take the cover off of the auger and adjust the pully to put more tension on the belt throws like a charm. A few other adjustment. Then as the season goes on it starts throwing snow less. You have to slow the machine down. Stop it let the auger catch up to speed to throw the snow.  New belt. Calls to home depot no satisfaction. Calls to Ariens same woman but I asked her the following., Miss do you make a lower grade Snowblower for the Home Depot? Her response was NO we make them with all the same internal components. PLEASE keep this prior underlined sentence in mind for later it is very important.

So I keep fixing it adjusting and have been fed up. 2 more years go by more calls to ariens and the depot no satisfaction. In the interim I also own a MTD 8 horse same motor that is on the Ariens that is 12 years older and tt works like a charm. I use it at my mothers house 2 miles away. Never Stops working blows the snow and ia considerably faster than this Ariens.

Around 2006 I phoned an Ariens dealer and he told me to call Ariens with my model Number the dealer new what was up. I Called Ariens now please keep in mind that almost 6 years has passed. I ask the question of recalls or anything pertaining to the 824=932101 SHAZZZAM wanga Bango. Ariens Tech " Sir there is a problem with that machine we have a gear reduction kit that will replace the problems that you are having with your machine, please give me all your information and I will put you in the computer this will repaired by Ariens free of charge at any Ariens Dealer"  WOW after 5 years somebody tells me they had a problem with the machine.

The unit gets the GEAR REDUCTION KIT. Sounds kinda funky..Like sorry your new car had the wrong transmission for the engine we are gonna reduce the ratios so instead of you going 60MPH you can only go 30 MPH max. That is esentially what the gear reduction did. Changed the ratio of the drive gears to compensate for the horspower of the engine which intern kill the auger as well. Major DEFECT and we where all hosed by Ariens and The HomeDepot.

The gear reduction has slowed my machine down in 5th gear to more than half. The Unit is throwing snow porly at best. The machine churps/Belt which is adjustment again the cycle just continues.

More calls to Ariens now this one gets great the other day. The womans Name is Joy In Consumer Tech. Tell her the story she admits there was a problem but the unit is so old and plus the gear reduction should have taken care of the problem. Take care of the problem for Who Ariens. Not me. And then she ads you know there is more moisture in the Air  in the east coast where you are located and the effects the machines. I almost lost it on her. So I think we all know where I am coming from. I also met with the NORTHEAST Ariens Rep..Accidentally I might add. I walked into my Dealer that has done the repairs and this guy cam over to me and asked if  he could help me. This gets really good. Yes I say. Have you repaired the problems with these damn friction disks. Not knowing he is a rep. He answers there are no problems with the friction drive. I chuckle. Then I say. hmmm I had a gear reduction kit put in mine.. He answers oh yes you must have the 824 932101 and purchased it from the home depot. My reaction put it this way it was one of those kodak moments. Then he continues after I push the conversation. Well you know the depot wants so many of these machines at a pricepoint we cut some corners when we made this machine. Plus the snow in the east has more moister in it. Hmmm I wonder if the 16 year old MTD knows about moisture that exceeds the dependability of this Ariens that was defective from the manufacture the day it left the plant.

What bothers me, how many consumers purchased this unit that had now clue that it was defect or just plan gave up and either bought a new one or a different make.

In closing all interested parties I am going to pursue a class action suit against The Home Depot and Areins over this mater. If you have this machine please contact me at the below email for particulars in the subject line please Enter; RE 932101  smugman_ola@yahoo.com

Thank you all.

(end quote)

From my observations getting back into the blower market, I would say yes, their quality has gone down. My old machine has steel rods for controls, the new ones seem to only have cables? That is just one visible observation I made anyway.
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by Tubby
borat

Reply #35   Dec 16, 2007 11:34 am
I've been making that point for a while now.  Maybe it's my eye for detail but when I started looking over the Ariens and Toros at HD, I was immediately turned off.  I know mechanical stuff.  I have tons of it.  I'm a hands on person and can readily see problematic design and deficient build quality.  After looking at their line up, I was out of HD in less than two minutes and very much disappointed with the quality of the "vaunted" Ariens and Toros they were offering.  Don't ask me to go into specifics.  I didn't take notes and I certainly did not buy either of these two brands.  And did I mention the prices?  It's not like they're knocking off hundreds of dollars from these machines.  Not in Canada.  The machines are cheaper (build wise) but not less expensive.  To me, that's the rub.  They're capturing  reputable brand names, having them manufactured at much lower standards and still demanding big bucks.  One must wonder how many unfortunate customers have fallen for this ruse?   When I bought my equivalent Simplicity, I paid three hundred less than the asking price of the Ariens and close to five hundred less than the Toro.  And the Toro had the old Tecumseh L head engine and aluminum auger drive gear case????   Maybe there are wiser people out there who can help me understand how an equivalent Toro of obviously lesser build quality can demand $500.00 more than a Simplicity that has far better all the way around construction and components?   Five hundred buck is a lot of money to pay for a name and it's sad to see those names being sullied by affixing them to inferior machines.   
This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by borat
nibbler

Re: Why more money
Reply #36   Dec 16, 2007 1:31 pm
Unfortunately most people look at a line of blowers from a series of manufacturers and see the same thing painted differently. They have a list of "features" which for the most part are sales features as opposed to use features, they then compare cost.

The problem is that the devil is in the details. Plastic parts can be good in a lot of places on a blower, they just have to be made well of the proper material and not as a manufacturing cost savings item. The same can be said for all metal construction, it could be tin foil, it could be 1/4" plate, its still "all metal". The point is that most people don't want to hunt up the information and find out what is important and which manufacturers do a good job. Add in that there could be variation from year to year with any given manufacturer and it really becomes a trick. It sort reminds of wine enthusiasts ... "As yes an Ariens 1020DLE from 2004, a somewhat presumptuous blower  with a traction system that just won't quit, the ones manufactured in the south plant in July are the best" .

I don't want to get into dealer support and parts availability since that can also affect "good".
borat

Re: Why more money
Reply #37   Dec 16, 2007 2:48 pm
nibbler wrote:
Unfortunately most people look at a line of blowers from a series of manufacturers and see the same thing painted differently. They have a list of "features" which for the most part are sales features as opposed to use features, they then compare cost.

The problem is that the devil is in the details. Plastic parts can be good in a lot of places on a blower, they just have to be made well of the proper material and not as a manufacturing cost savings item. The same can be said for all metal construction, it could be tin foil, it could be 1/4" plate, its still "all metal". The point is that most people don't want to hunt up the information and find out what is important and which manufacturers do a good job. Add in that there could be variation from year to year with any given manufacturer and it really becomes a trick. It sort reminds of wine enthusiasts ... "As yes an Ariens 1020DLE from 2004, a somewhat presumptuous blower  with a traction system that just won't quit, the ones manufactured in the south plant in July are the best" .

I don't want to get into dealer support and parts availability since that can also affect "good".

I understand what you're saying.  I would like to add that "Nothing blinds more completely than brand loyalty."   It's a fault that many seem to acquire after hemorrhaging huge amounts of money to pay for a name then spend the rest of their lives defending the action.  Go figure???   I, on the other hand consider myself to be a "value loyalist".   I'll recommend/defend a product providing it has the right stuff and also has the right price.  I will not recommend a product simply because it has/had a good reputation.  Not good enough.  Each item will be measured on it's own merit.  If it  passes muster, I'll endorse it otherwise I won't.  That's why I own such a wide array of OPE brands.  I have Husqvarna, Jonsereds, Echo, Stihl, Kubota and even a Honda powered Craftsman lawn tractor.  I don't care what the name is, as long as it's built with quality components and assembled correctly. 

Ahhhh yessss.....Muyyy Simpliciteeee comes from the Port Washington Plant in Wisconsin......a robust machine with aspirations of grandeur albeit with a dash of humility..... 

This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by borat
Replies: 32 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42