Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Simplicity Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DonMac

New Simplicity Snowthrower
Original Message   Dec 5, 2007 10:54 pm
Hi All,

New here (first post) but have been reading on this site for a few years and appreciate all of the knowledgeable info from all of you. Thanks!

I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ and have a big driveway along with a sidewalk that is 150' long, . Also, the bus stop for the kids is on my driveway so it is important to me to make sure it it clean and safe. Well, tonight I bought a new Simplicity Signature Pro model 10524 from a dealer in Princeton. The dealer told me it was last year's model and would sell it to me for last years price for 1650.00, which I paid. But when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed the model was a 10524P, not P10524E as in last years brochure. On top of that, the 2008 model is P1524E.

Anyone know what the 10524P year is and did I get a bad deal? I didn't want to buy something brand new if it's a two year old model.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Replies: 15 - 24 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Talldog

Re: New Simplicity Snowthrower
Reply #15   Dec 8, 2007 7:44 pm
Tubby wrote:
I just bought the same 10.5 hp simplicity.

I like the machine, but that exposed wiper motor for the shute seems like it might be a trouble spot. It will get hit with plenty of salt from EOD crap. Hopefully it wont be a problem. I may make some sort of plastic shield for it?
$1650 is what I paid, I think that is list. Wish I bought last May.

Tubby, I'm not too worried about the motor itself, but  its wiring might be a weak spot. There is also exposed wiring on the bottom of the starter motor. Guess time will tell. I was thinking of making some kind of boot/shield for it also. Maybe something like a spark plug boot?
Tubby

Reply #16   Dec 8, 2007 8:01 pm
At the very least, maybe some sealing with some liquid electrical tape around where the wires enter the connectors. That stuff is great, use on electrical stuff in boat bilges. It will keep salt water from flowing down the wire into the terminal where it can sit and corrode.
borat

Reply #17   Dec 8, 2007 8:07 pm
Talldog wrote:
Tubby, I'm not too worried about the motor itself, but  its wiring might be a weak spot. There is also exposed wiring on the bottom of the starter motor. Guess time will tell. I was thinking of making some kind of boot/shield for it also. Maybe something like a spark plug boot?

Protecting the wiring is a good idea.  Putting something around it that my have the propensity to hold water might add to the corrosion problem.  If you're going to put a boot around it, fill the boot with dielectric grease to deny any opportunity for water and salt to get into it.    I think a dab of silicone might do the trick as well. 
nibbler

Reply #18   Dec 9, 2007 8:36 pm
DonMac wrote:
Talldog,
Yes this one has the hand warmers and electric chute.

Gelid,
Thanks. I feel better about this purchase. Wasn't sure about the various P/Ns. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Anyone actually use one of these? I bought this because I figured 10.5 HP on a 24" width on their top of the line series should give me enough power to get through the EOD while still being maneuverable. I tried to search about the Power Boost feature but there isn't much here on that. Hope it works as advertised.

Thanks again.

If I remember correctly we discussed this last year and came to the conclusion it was a variable diameter pulley setup. When the engine is under too much load the RPMs start to drop. The Sheaves on the pulley change and the ratio between the engine pulley and the auger pulley goes up so you have more power going to the auger.
DonMac

Reply #19   Dec 10, 2007 10:05 pm
Well, It was delivered on Saturday and I must say, probably up there with the best designed and constructed pieces of equipment I ever bought!

Talldog: glad to hear!

Burat: How did you fasten that plastic sleeve? I just waxed the whole thing , in and out, not sure if that matters at all, but...

Jubol: Bought a Tiny Tach w/ hour meter. Its also resettable (not sure why).

Tubby: I thought the same thing looking at it but I would like to think Simplicity wouldn't put something on there that wasn't capable of dealing with the wet/salt etc. Time will tell.

Nibbler: sounds like a great design. Again, if this performs as well as advertised, wow!

Never thought I would say this, but, looking forward to a major snowstorm!

Thanks guys!
borat

Reply #20   Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm
DonMac wrote:

Burat: How did you fasten that plastic sleeve? I just waxed the whole thing , in and out, not sure if that matters at all, but...

My machine had two holes at the forward edge on the bottom of the chute.  I used those two holes and the bolt that is used to control the deflector on the top right side.  Before I tried to install the piece, I cut  approx. 18" across the piece of Wacky Karpet and folded it evenly across a piece of 2x4.  Using clamps and a propane torch, I warmed up the bends on each side of the 2x4 to get the plastic to conform to the shape.  I left it like that overnight and the next morning, it was much easier to work into the chute.  I fit the bottom so that it squeezed between the chute and the circular discharge hole collar.  There's lots of room in there and the plastic should drop in about 1/2 an inch.  Once I had it in there, I forced the plastic into the chute as far as I could get it.  The piece of 2x4 came  in handy for temporarily pressing the plastic into the chute while I used vice grips and clamps to hold the plastic in place.  Use a piece of cloth on the painted side when clamping so you don't damage the paint.  Once you have the piece in place, draw lines down the sides to shape it to match the chute and cut with scissors.  While you have it in there, mark the holes at the bottom and top of the chute.  I used a heated nail to melt through the plastic while I had it in place.  The top hole has a carriage bolt with a square shoulder.  I had a similar bolt of the same size, heated it and used that to melt a square into the plastic for that hole.  A square hole will ensure the bolt goes through the deflector control slot nice and straight.   Note that you will only need the three points to secure the liner if you have it properly fitted.  In addition to the small stainless steel bolts I used at the bottom of the chute, I made some plastic washers out of the same material.  I heated a short piece of 1/2 copper pipe and used it as a cookie cutter to cut out the washer blanks and melted a hole in the middle of them.   I used a piece of one inch copper pipe to make a big washer to put next to the lock nut for the deflector control bolt.  In addition to this modification, I riveted a 1/32" thick piece of stainless plate to the underside of the top of the deflector.  SS is pretty hard stuff and the piece I put in is already showing some scuffs with only 7 hours on the machine.  This might sound like a lot of work but it wasn't that bad.  Just make sure to fit the liner in good and tight to the bottom collar and after putting in the fasteners, it should stay there.   I used black plastic as a liner and the fit went so well, it looks factory. 
This message was modified Dec 11, 2007 by borat
Tubby

Reply #21   Dec 10, 2007 10:48 pm
Just got delivered today.

It has MUCH more power than my 8hp Ariens ever did!
Not sure you would ever see me waxing my snow thrower, but I have friend that does his.
It is a great machine. We get some where north of 150"/year, so I will get plenty of time to figure out its weak spots.
DonMac

Reply #22   Dec 10, 2007 11:19 pm
Borat, Absolutely ingenious! You obviously are a great innovator! Thanks for that detailed reply.

Tubby, Where do you live to get 150" of snow a year?
Tubby

Reply #23   Dec 11, 2007 10:30 am
North of Syracuse, right on the edge of the snowbelt.

Last year the weather channel showed up when just north west of us by 8 miles got 10' in one week! That mess missed us, we only got 5' that week.
dickizinia

Reply #24   Dec 11, 2007 1:36 pm
DonMac wrote:
I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ

Don - I'd be interested in possibly buying your old Simplicity if you still have it!................ DI

Replies: 15 - 24 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42