Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Simplicity Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DonMac

New Simplicity Snowthrower
Original Message   Dec 5, 2007 10:54 pm
Hi All,

New here (first post) but have been reading on this site for a few years and appreciate all of the knowledgeable info from all of you. Thanks!

I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ and have a big driveway along with a sidewalk that is 150' long, . Also, the bus stop for the kids is on my driveway so it is important to me to make sure it it clean and safe. Well, tonight I bought a new Simplicity Signature Pro model 10524 from a dealer in Princeton. The dealer told me it was last year's model and would sell it to me for last years price for 1650.00, which I paid. But when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed the model was a 10524P, not P10524E as in last years brochure. On top of that, the 2008 model is P1524E.

Anyone know what the 10524P year is and did I get a bad deal? I didn't want to buy something brand new if it's a two year old model.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: New Simplicity Snow thrower
Reply #9   Dec 7, 2007 5:12 pm
Just hour meter!!

I have a portable tach, called a: "TREYSIT "!

No power required, accurate to + or - 25 Rpm's.     IMHO

Cost $15.00, Tecumseh sells them.

Bought mine on EBay.

Fred

This message was modified Dec 7, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Reply #10   Dec 8, 2007 12:54 pm
jubol wrote:
Just hour meter!!

I have a portable tach, called a: "TREYSIT "!

No power required, accurate to + or - 25 Rpm's.     IMHO

Cost $15.00, Tecumseh sells them.

Bought mine on EBay.

Fred

Hi Fred:

I went to the site for the Treysit  (Tecumseh Vibratach)  and they indicate a measuring capability of up to 50,000 rpm.  Is that correct or are they over by one zero?  I have a Tiny Tach that's multi functional and can measure to 20.000 (I think) could be a little less.  Problem is that I have it wired to an ATV and it's a pain to take off if I want to test another machine.  The tach on the snow thrower is good to 7000 which is a little shy for measuring two strokes.  Will this thing work on a three cylinder diesel?  If it does, I could use one. 

jubol

Reply #11   Dec 8, 2007 12:58 pm
No , They are correct, just checked mine and it goes to 50,000 Rpm!!

It will work on your 3 cylinder or 4, 5, any number!!

Fred

This message was modified Dec 8, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Re: New Simplicity Snowthrower
Reply #12   Dec 8, 2007 1:49 pm
Hi Fred:

This is shaping up to be a good thing maybe.  Several months ago, I needed a tach to measure the rpms of my diesel power plant that I have out a camp.  I ordered an electronic Tiny Tach that used a transducer that mounts onto one of the fuel lines.   Well it seemed to have worked for about two minutes.  Just long enough for me to get a reading of 1800 rpm then it went haywire.   So, I think I have the desired setting of 1800 rpm but not completely sure of it.  Now for my final question (hopefully), can this device be trusted to give me an accurate reading of +/- 50 rpm or less?   The engine I'm trying to test is a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel.   Cast iron block and head if that matters.

This message was modified Dec 8, 2007 by borat
Gelid

Reply #13   Dec 8, 2007 5:21 pm
Talldog wrote:
Don, I just noticed, like Gelig said, on the model# tag it says 1524E, but on the sticker on the top of the snowblower it says 1524P.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is a great snowblower.

When I bought my current snowblower both the sales slip and other paperwork stated it was a Honda HS928 TAS but the machine is actually an HS928 TCD like it says on the small serial# decal. The difference between the TAS and TCD is that the TCD has joystick type electric chute controls, DC electric starter (like a car) and work light, "the works". After ordering the machine from a dealer near my home in Maine I looked at the paperwork and got somewhat anxious over the fact that it appeared as if the dealer had made a mistake or was trying to push a TAS on me after charging me for the more expensive TCD. Called them and got it cleared up, they told me that since the TCD is a Canadian model that's only available in the US on special order, their computer did not have it listed as such but that if I read the small print I would notice that the extra features that come with the the TCD were all listed, and indeed they were. Apparently this saves Honda some extra duty fees.

When the machine arrived I was expecting the decals to proudly display the snowblower's impressive pedigree, with perhaps a maple leaf emblem to boot, so that I could make the Joneses turn green with envy but damn, it just said HS928!

Seriously, I think that's pretty wise. After all, all 9/28 Hondas are HS928's and that way they can change the suffix of specific models every year if they feel like it and still use the same decal.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Tubby

Reply #14   Dec 8, 2007 5:33 pm
I just bought the same 10.5 hp simplicity.

I like the machine, but that exposed wiper motor for the shute seems like it might be a trouble spot. It will get hit with plenty of salt from EOD crap. Hopefully it wont be a problem. I may make some sort of plastic shield for it?
$1650 is what I paid, I think that is list. Wish I bought last May.
Talldog

Reply #15   Dec 8, 2007 7:44 pm
Tubby wrote:
I just bought the same 10.5 hp simplicity.

I like the machine, but that exposed wiper motor for the shute seems like it might be a trouble spot. It will get hit with plenty of salt from EOD crap. Hopefully it wont be a problem. I may make some sort of plastic shield for it?
$1650 is what I paid, I think that is list. Wish I bought last May.

Tubby, I'm not too worried about the motor itself, but  its wiring might be a weak spot. There is also exposed wiring on the bottom of the starter motor. Guess time will tell. I was thinking of making some kind of boot/shield for it also. Maybe something like a spark plug boot?
Tubby

Reply #16   Dec 8, 2007 8:01 pm
At the very least, maybe some sealing with some liquid electrical tape around where the wires enter the connectors. That stuff is great, use on electrical stuff in boat bilges. It will keep salt water from flowing down the wire into the terminal where it can sit and corrode.
borat

Reply #17   Dec 8, 2007 8:07 pm
Talldog wrote:
Tubby, I'm not too worried about the motor itself, but  its wiring might be a weak spot. There is also exposed wiring on the bottom of the starter motor. Guess time will tell. I was thinking of making some kind of boot/shield for it also. Maybe something like a spark plug boot?

Protecting the wiring is a good idea.  Putting something around it that my have the propensity to hold water might add to the corrosion problem.  If you're going to put a boot around it, fill the boot with dielectric grease to deny any opportunity for water and salt to get into it.    I think a dab of silicone might do the trick as well. 
nibbler

Reply #18   Dec 9, 2007 8:36 pm
DonMac wrote:
Talldog,
Yes this one has the hand warmers and electric chute.

Gelid,
Thanks. I feel better about this purchase. Wasn't sure about the various P/Ns. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Anyone actually use one of these? I bought this because I figured 10.5 HP on a 24" width on their top of the line series should give me enough power to get through the EOD while still being maneuverable. I tried to search about the Power Boost feature but there isn't much here on that. Hope it works as advertised.

Thanks again.

If I remember correctly we discussed this last year and came to the conclusion it was a variable diameter pulley setup. When the engine is under too much load the RPMs start to drop. The Sheaves on the pulley change and the ratio between the engine pulley and the auger pulley goes up so you have more power going to the auger.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42