Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Simplicity Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DonMac

New Simplicity Snowthrower
Original Message   Dec 5, 2007 10:54 pm
Hi All,

New here (first post) but have been reading on this site for a few years and appreciate all of the knowledgeable info from all of you. Thanks!

I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ and have a big driveway along with a sidewalk that is 150' long, . Also, the bus stop for the kids is on my driveway so it is important to me to make sure it it clean and safe. Well, tonight I bought a new Simplicity Signature Pro model 10524 from a dealer in Princeton. The dealer told me it was last year's model and would sell it to me for last years price for 1650.00, which I paid. But when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed the model was a 10524P, not P10524E as in last years brochure. On top of that, the 2008 model is P1524E.

Anyone know what the 10524P year is and did I get a bad deal? I didn't want to buy something brand new if it's a two year old model.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Gelid

Re: New Simplicity Snowthrower
Reply #2   Dec 6, 2007 10:09 am
DonMac wrote:
Hi All,

New here (first post) but have been reading on this site for a few years and appreciate all of the knowledgeable info from all of you. Thanks!

I had a Simplicity 555 snow thrower for seven years but it was way underpowered (5 HP), and I am pushing 50 with a bad back, so I decided to buy a new one with more power. I live in NJ and have a big driveway along with a sidewalk that is 150' long, . Also, the bus stop for the kids is on my driveway so it is important to me to make sure it it clean and safe. Well, tonight I bought a new Simplicity Signature Pro model 10524 from a dealer in Princeton. The dealer told me it was last year's model and would sell it to me for last years price for 1650.00, which I paid. But when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed the model was a 10524P, not P10524E as in last years brochure. On top of that, the 2008 model is P1524E.

Anyone know what the 10524P year is and did I get a bad deal? I didn't want to buy something brand new if it's a two year old model.

Thanks for your help in advance.

10524P is Pro Series 2007 model. For some unfathomable reason many "E" models have decals on the machine itself where the "E" is replaced with a "P" so it appears that 10524P and 10524E are in fact one and the same. One possible reason for the discrepancy is Simplicity using a variant model number for export units. In periods of strong demand these units are sold domestically, they are identical to domestic units.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
DonMac

Reply #3   Dec 6, 2007 10:10 pm
Talldog,
Yes this one has the hand warmers and electric chute.

Gelid,
Thanks. I feel better about this purchase. Wasn't sure about the various P/Ns. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Anyone actually use one of these? I bought this because I figured 10.5 HP on a 24" width on their top of the line series should give me enough power to get through the EOD while still being maneuverable. I tried to search about the Power Boost feature but there isn't much here on that. Hope it works as advertised.

Thanks again.
Talldog

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2007 9:26 am
Don, best snowblower I've ever used. You're gonna love it!
Talldog

Reply #5   Dec 7, 2007 11:54 am
Don, I just noticed, like Gelig said, on the model# tag it says 1524E, but on the sticker on the top of the snowblower it says 1524P.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is a great snowblower.
borat

Reply #6   Dec 7, 2007 4:16 pm
You made a wise purchase.  I bought a new 9.5 h.p. 28" Simplicity in October.  We've had over thirty inches of snow fall so far this year in three big dumps.  The last storm dumped over twenty inches on us.  The way the wind blows around here, it lifts the snow off of the roof of the house and dumps that onto the driveway as well.  Our driveway is 110 feet long with a 35 x 35 foot turn around area at the top.  It also has has 10% grade so there's some hill climbing involved.  The biggest deposit I had to move was the last dump we got.  It was probably on average 21" of drift pack snow.  It was often over the top of the intake.  Big snow is where the Simp shows it's stuff.  My old 10 h.p. Craftsman would have taken twice as long to get the job done.  The Simplicity is just that much more efficient at tossing large volumes of snow long distances.  I have made a slight modification to the chute on mine.  I lined it with a piece of Krazy Karpet.  That's one of those plastic sheets kids use to slide down hills.  Not sure if that contributes to the attained efficiency and distance but it does save the paint on the inside of the chute from gravel left by the snow plow at the end of the driveway. 

Needless to say, I'm very much impressed with the Simplicity.  I'm certain that with normal maintenance, this machine will last a very long time.        

jubol

Re: New Simplicity Snow thrower
Reply #7   Dec 7, 2007 5:00 pm
Borat and all!

Go Google or go EBay: Tecumseh hour meter.

I bought  one for $15.00!!

Shows hours and tenths of hours

Needs no batt's.

Just wrap the input wire around the spark plug wire.

Sure makes it easy to keep track of OPE hour usage!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Reply #8   Dec 7, 2007 5:08 pm
jubol wrote:
Borat and all!

Go Google or go EBay: Tecumseh hour meter.

I bought  one for $15.00!!

Shows hours and tenths of hours

Needs no batt's.

Just wrap the input wire around the spark plug wire.

Sure makes it easy to keep track of OPE hour usage!

Fred

As Homer Simpson would say "doughhhh!!!" I bought a unit for my snowblower for $35.00.  However it is a tach as well.   Fifteen bucks is pretty good.  Is it also a tach or just an hour meter?   Thanks for the tip nonetheless. 

jubol

Reply #9   Dec 7, 2007 5:12 pm
Just hour meter!!

I have a portable tach, called a: "TREYSIT "!

No power required, accurate to + or - 25 Rpm's.     IMHO

Cost $15.00, Tecumseh sells them.

Bought mine on EBay.

Fred

This message was modified Dec 7, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Reply #10   Dec 8, 2007 12:54 pm
jubol wrote:
Just hour meter!!

I have a portable tach, called a: "TREYSIT "!

No power required, accurate to + or - 25 Rpm's.     IMHO

Cost $15.00, Tecumseh sells them.

Bought mine on EBay.

Fred

Hi Fred:

I went to the site for the Treysit  (Tecumseh Vibratach)  and they indicate a measuring capability of up to 50,000 rpm.  Is that correct or are they over by one zero?  I have a Tiny Tach that's multi functional and can measure to 20.000 (I think) could be a little less.  Problem is that I have it wired to an ATV and it's a pain to take off if I want to test another machine.  The tach on the snow thrower is good to 7000 which is a little shy for measuring two strokes.  Will this thing work on a three cylinder diesel?  If it does, I could use one. 

jubol

Reply #11   Dec 8, 2007 12:58 pm
No , They are correct, just checked mine and it goes to 50,000 Rpm!!

It will work on your 3 cylinder or 4, 5, any number!!

Fred

This message was modified Dec 8, 2007 by jubol

Replies: 2 - 11 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42