Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Fuel dryers - isopropyl or ethanol?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
markbean

Fuel dryers - isopropyl or ethanol?
Original Message   Dec 4, 2007 7:27 pm
I recently purchased a snow thrower.  The person who delivered it recommended that I always add stabilizer and fuel dryer/antifreeze every time I fill the tank.  He made it very clear that while many are ethanol, I should use isopropyl dryers/ antifreeze.  Considering that we can have light and heavy snowfall years in central NJ, I understand why I should always add stabilizer and dryer.  One can never know if they will use up the fuel in the tank.  What I don’t understand is why isopropyl over ethanol.   While I have only shopped at two places, I have yet to find a dryer with isopropyl.  This guy also repaired engines.  Does he have a valid point and should I search longer for the isopropyl?

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Re: Fuel dryers - isopropyl or ethanol?
Reply #1   Dec 4, 2007 7:31 pm
i dont kow why he would say that,but you can get iso in a can of heet,at any auto store,as for stabil,i wouldnt bother with it as long as your gas is fresh,i use stabil only for storage of my equipment,i also dont use iso in anything other than my truck in the winter.hope this helps,jag

borat

Re: Fuel dryers - isopropyl or ethanol?
Reply #2   Dec 4, 2007 8:17 pm
Isopropynol is primarily used for treating diesel fuel.   Methanol apparently reduces the lubrication effect of diesel fuel which adversely effects the injectors resulting in premature wear.  Being that snow thrower engines are gasoline and carbureted, I have no idea why he'd recommend iso over methanol.  I use both because I own a diesel engine and keep some of each on hand.  I will use iso in gas engines but never methanol in the diesel.  If you keep your fuel tank full, you will reduce opportunity for condensation and the necessity for fuel dryers.  Stabilizer is added for long term storage.  If you use Seafoam, it will do the both jobs.       
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42