Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > '92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jdutton

'92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power
Original Message   Mar 13, 2006 11:35 pm
While I was snowblowing today, I suddenly realized that only one wheel is getting power.  The other spins freely.  Apparently something is broken.  Might it be something simple like a sheer pin, or am I looking at a more expensive repair?

Thanks,

Jeff

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
solara

Re: '92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power
Reply #1   Mar 14, 2006 11:05 am
HEY I AM JUST THE FIRST TO to see this. on the non driving side there is a pin (on the axle that goes thru the wheel) pull it out. push the wheel in towards the bodyto  the the closer hole and put the pin back in.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
nibbler

Reply #2   Mar 14, 2006 5:53 pm
On most 2 stage snowblowers you have the option of having one or two of the wheels being driven. With both wheels being driven the wheels are locked together and the machine is hard to stear. If only one wheel is driven then it is easier to steer but there is less traction.

Some of the higher end machines have a couple of solutions for this. The Ariens Pro machines use a differential that tries to keep both wheels turning but makes it easy to turn. It also has a trigger that allows you to lock the wheels together to get the most traction possible. Another solution is to have either one or two triggers that will engage or disengage the wheel on the side that the trigger is on. This makes turns easier while the straightaways have the wheels locked for maximum traction. The low end machines have a pin through the axle that can be in one of two positions. In one position the wheel turns freely while in the other the wheel is locked to the axle.
jdutton

Reply #3   Mar 15, 2006 11:24 am
Interesting.  I've had this snowblower for 14 years and never knew that there was a pin in the axle that could be used to control whether the wheel gets power or not.  Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Jeff

sammyk

Reply #4   Mar 16, 2006 2:26 pm
What's more interesting is that you've been using it for 14 years and you just suddenly realized it! :)
nibbler

Reply #5   Mar 16, 2006 5:52 pm
Its probably more a comment on the weather. It finally got bad enough so that having extra traction on the straightaways became noticable. For light stuff ( a.k.a. Fluffy) I use oe wheel free. For heavy stuff where we need traction I lock the wheels. I'm saving my pennies for a machine with a differential  but have been wondering if the trigger release would be "good enough".
jdutton

Reply #6   Mar 17, 2006 12:31 pm
sammyk wrote:
What's more interesting is that you've been using it for 14 years and you just suddenly realized it! :)

Actually, I know that both wheels were getting power until the incident I'm asking about, and it has always been that way until now.  I still haven't looked at the snowblower to determine exactly what might have happened.

Garandman

Reply #7   Mar 17, 2006 3:13 pm
Most of the old Ariens had both wheels locked to the axle with a Woodruff Key - a half-moon shaped piece of metal that locked the wheel hub to the axle but allowed it to slide out if necessary. they fit into semi-circular notches in the axle. It could have fallen out or become dislodged.

You can buy a replacement at the dealer for about $1.50 or buy an unplated one at Home Depot for about $0.50.

If yours is unlockable, you'll likely have a knob on the wheel that looks like the one in this picture near the tire stem.

jdutton

Re: '92 Ariens 724 - Problem fixed
Reply #8   Mar 18, 2006 1:36 pm
As it turns out, my wheels are not unlockable, and are held onto the axle by a simple nut and bolt.  One of the bolts had rusted off.  I replaced it.  Checked the other side and it is in good shape.  I bought an extra nut and bolt "just in case".

Thanks for all the ideas.

Jeff

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42