Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Snowbound

Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp
Original Message   Feb 18, 2006 12:18 am
Just purchased this 11.5 hp machine after surfing the web and reading brochures.  I couldn't resist the closeout price of $905.  List price, I believe, was $1,299.  I planned to buy a 9.5 or 10 hp but this was too good to resist.  Also purchased Sears three year "at-home" repair warranty for $99.  This is my first venture in snowthrowing after a life-time of shoveling in Massachusetts.  I just turned 65 on Jan. 31, and thought it was time to stop pushing the odds (or Gods), spend a few bucks and finally have fun with snow removal.  The salesman said the machine was returned unused by a customer who thought it was too large for his needs and that was the reason for the unusually low price.  He said it was technically a used machine, however, the sale to me was written up as a new one.

I checked Sears website and this machine, 88115,  was sold out nationwide.  Coincidentally, while the sale was being written up, two other customers wanted to buy it.  Guess I bought the last one.

I would appreciate any input from all of you folks out there in snowland about this or other comparable two-stage machines.  I think it has 6 speeds forward and 2 reverse.  I'll be clearing a 120 ft long by 12' wide driveway in addition to a sidewalk and front entrance walk.  I'll never forget the Blizzard of 78 and another whopper that hit us last March 2005.  I had to be plowed out three times.  This machine might be considered oversize for my needs but if we get hit hard a few more times in addition to our normal 8"-to-12" snowstorms, it should meet the worst-case challenges.  Also any maintenance information would be helpful.  I plan to take care of it with proper maintenance in hoping this machine will last a long time.

I'm waiting for delivery (arrives late next week) and forgot what it looks like.  Frustrating after buying a new toy.  By the way, does anyone have the cab attachement?  It's on sale for $99.  If so, do you think its worthwhile?  For now, I bought a ski mask for $14.95. 

Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: Craftsman Snowthrower Model 88115, 11.5 hp
Reply #2   Feb 18, 2006 4:51 am
The Craftsman is probably an ok purchase, but not a great one. What really counts in your favor is your willingness to take good care of it. Some Craftsman models are better than others, depending on which company made it.  Although you shouldn't have any parts problems with Sears, it would be a good idea to find a dealer NEAR YOUR HOME that can supply simple things like a belt...just to have an alternate source if something IMPORTANT is needed QUICKLY.

This is just pure speculation...but the guy who returned the machine as being "too large for his needs" probably was burning rubber on his way to Home Despot to get either a 9hp Ariens or a 8 hpToro for 50% off. Many such machines were sold there over the last 2-3 weeks for huge savings, but those deals are mostly over now. If you have an HD near you it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if they have anything left...you might still find one.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Snowbound

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2006 10:41 am
jubol wrote:
Snowbound,

I think you bought a Husqvarna/ Poulan snow blower under the Craftsman name.

Go to husqvarna site and check their blowers, yours is green, theirs orange!!

Fred

Fred,

According to a thread somewhere in this forum, someone said this model is built by Electrolux.  My machine is red and the chute is steel.  I noticed that all Craftsman throwers below this horsepower level have "plastic" chutes.

jubol

Reply #4   Feb 18, 2006 12:04 pm
Snowbound,

Electrolux is the parent company of Husqvarna and Poulon.

If you would email me through this forum and include your regular Email address,

I'll send you the Maintenace and service manual web site.

Which you can download!!

It is an Electrolux maintenance manual from Great Britain.

Huskys and Poulan are sold there under the Electrolux name plate!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Snowbound

Reply #5   Feb 18, 2006 12:55 pm
AZinOH wrote:
The Craftsman is probably an ok purchase, but not a great one. What really counts in your favor is your willingness to take good care of it. Some Craftsman models are better than others, depending on which company made it.  Although you shouldn't have any parts problems with Sears, it would be a good idea to find a dealer NEAR YOUR HOME that can supply simple things like a belt...just to have an alternate source if something IMPORTANT is needed QUICKLY.

This is just pure speculation...but the guy who returned the machine as being "too large for his needs" probably was burning rubber on his way to Home Despot to get either a 9hp Ariens or a 8 hpToro for 50% off. Many such machines were sold there over the last 2-3 weeks for huge savings, but those deals are mostly over now. If you have an HD near you it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if they have anything left...you might still find one.

AZ

AZ,

Thanks for your response and Home Depot info.  Your speculation is probably correct.  Sears has a policy of returning a purchase if one is not satisfied with either price or performance.  While surfing today, the model (photo & info) I purchased has returned to the Sears website with a "temporarily out of stock" statement.  It has been on sale this week and the sale ends today, Feb. 18th so I guess rainchecks (snow?) are available.  I bought this for $200 less than the current "closeout sale" price and feel satisfied about my purchase of $905.  Having bought the 3YR in-home repair protection agreement for $99 offers a level of confidence with this monst. . . .woops! . . . machine.  Also pleased to have Briggs & Stratton for a powerplant.

I browsed through the Ariens and Toro websites, saw their original list prices and gulped a bit.  I'm sure they are of high quality, but when a retailer slashes a product to sell at one-half price, I get very skeptical.  It simply reminds us there's a high markup which is indicative of seasonal products anyway.  The end-of-season price cut is part of the business plan to include a smaller profit margin.  The original purchaser of my machine got what he wanted by downsizing his requirements and price, and I was able to fill my needs with one of Sears largest machines for under $1,000.

The product description claims the engine to be "quiet".  This is a relative term of course.  Anyone out there with noise experience on similar machines??

Snowbound (never again)

Snowbound

Reply #6   Feb 18, 2006 1:42 pm
jubol wrote:
Snowbound,

Electrolux is the parent company of Husqvarna and Poulon.

If you would email me through this forum and include your regular Email address,

I'll send you the Maintenace and service manual web site.

Which you can download!!

It is an Electrolux maintenance manual from Great Britain.

Huskys and Poulan are sold there under the Electrolux name plate!!

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the offer and Electrolux info. I have a Poulan lawnmower from Sears and saw the Electrolux name while filling it with gas one day . . . mergers & buyouts came to mind.  I called Sears to follow-up on the status of my manual which the salesman ordered, and it's in the mail.  Thanks anyway.  The lawnmower works great, after two seasons, and starts easily by the way.

Snowbound

nibbler

Reply #7   Feb 18, 2006 1:48 pm
I have a 11HP B&S Snow Intek and its noticably quieter and smoother than the previous Tecumseh 10.5HP Snow King I used. I listen to it through ear plugs which are under ear muff style hearing protection If I take the hearing protection off I can't hear a difference worth typing about. The point is,  wear hearing protection, either way they aren't particularly quiet.
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #8   Feb 18, 2006 1:56 pm
Snowbound,

Do keep us posted on your experience with the machine. When it arrives, make sure there is oil in the engine before starting it and give it a good look-over before you start blowing snow. Also, it might be a good idea to change the oil after a few hours of operation to get rid of any contamination left over from the manufacturing process. After you have some spent time blowing snow, please post a review of your machine.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Snowbound

Reply #9   Feb 18, 2006 2:10 pm
nibbler wrote:
I have a 11HP B&S Snow Intek and its noticably quieter and smoother than the previous Tecumseh 10.5HP Snow King I used. I listen to it through ear plugs which are under ear muff style hearing protection If I take the hearing protection off I can't hear a difference worth typing about. The point is,  wear hearing protection, either way they aren't particularly quiet.

Nibbler,

Thanks.  I always wear ear protection (when I don't forget).  I was concerned about a grouchy neighbor.  I'll be discreet with operating hours, of course. 

AZ,

I'm looking forward to submitting a review.  I also found the owners manual on the Poulan website.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll compare when I receive the Craftsman.

jubol

Reply #10   Feb 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Snowbound,

The manual I am referring to is the Service Manual!!

Tells how to fix, check, and what to check specs!!

It is 51 pages of photos, specs, how to remove, replace, repair your blower.

What you have on order is the Ops manual!!!

This is the service Manual, what the dealers use!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Snowbound

Reply #11   Feb 18, 2006 5:05 pm
jubol wrote:
Snowbound,

The manual I am referring to is the Service Manual!!

Tells how to fix, check, and what to check specs!!

It is 51 pages of photos, specs, how to remove, replace, repair your blower.

What you have on order is the Ops manual!!!

This is the service Manual, what the dealers use!!!

Fred

Thanks.  I'm waiting for the "Owners Manual" according to Sears.  Could you post the website on here? 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42