Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Blizzard on Long Island NY!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Blizzard on Long Island NY!
Original Message   Feb 11, 2006 7:35 pm
Well finally I will get to try out my new snow blower I bought last year! It is already to go...adjusted, waxed up, snow shooter applied, and 93 octane in the tank

OK Mother Nature...let's see what ya got!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
BBgarage

Re: Blizzard on Long Island NY!
Reply #1   Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm
I finally get to use my brand new Ariens 926LE hear in MA.

Yankees s--k :)

Mike
jogo

Reply #2   Feb 12, 2006 9:16 am
Boston 8lows!

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2006 9:46 pm
Well the new machine got LOTS of use today! I put it to the test with lots of EOD heavy wet stuff. At least 10 houses and they were all done twice. We got aprox 15 inches of snow but with 50 MPH winds, we had some deeeep drifts!

Pluses:
Powerful and really will throw snow 40 feet!
Seeing your neighbors struggle with lesser machines!!!!
I like being able to take both hands off the machine and it still runs. (My old Ariens had a safety lever)
The tires provide extreme traction (see below for the other side)
Engine starts on first pull as long as you use the choke
That little shovel thing is great. I used it at least 3 times.

Negatives:
Reverse is so slow that it is useless! So I had the push down on the bars and pull it back. (I now have a killer backache!)
The tires have so much grip that it makes turning hard. I prefer Ariens old tires...it is not like I ever got stuck with em!
My right wrist/hand is tired from squeezing the auger lever.

Over all
9 out of 10

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Garandman

Reply #4   Feb 13, 2006 9:03 am
You can adjust the shift linkage so the disk moves a little farther over in reverse and gain a little speed. The owner's manual may cover this.

Check your tire pressure. Most snow throwers seem to be shipped with 20 psi for easy rolling. But the operating pressure is usually 12 psi, which allows the blocks to deform and makes it easier to manuever.
Garandman

Reply #5   Feb 13, 2006 9:08 am
This is an older, simpler Ariens tractor but explains what is going on.

When the friction disk is where it is in the picture, you have "high" gear. Moving it into the center gives you lower ratios.

When you shift it past the center, you put it into reverse. You'll see the design allows limited travel in reverse, but yours can probably be adjusted so it is a little farther out on the disk, giving you a little more speed.

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #6   Feb 13, 2006 3:39 pm
Garandman wrote:
This is an older, simpler Ariens tractor but explains what is going on.

When the friction disk is where it is in the picture, you have "high" gear. Moving it into the center gives you lower ratios.

When you shift it past the center, you put it into reverse. You'll see the design allows limited travel in reverse, but yours can probably be adjusted so it is a little farther out on the disk, giving you a little more speed.

Garandman

So your saying to adjust it so it travels further to the larger part of the reverse side and if you indeed do that are you also reducing your forward speed a bit?

Just a thought but I'm wondering if that's so. Please advise.

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #7   Feb 13, 2006 4:19 pm
hirschallan wrote:
Garandman

So your saying to adjust it so it travels further to the larger part of the reverse side and if you indeed do that are you also reducing your forward speed a bit?

Just a thought but I'm wondering if that's so. Please advise.

Even if this is the case, I could loose a little forward speed...it goes faster than it can gobble when the snow is deep.

Thanks all, will look into making this adjustment ASAP!

Brian Chang

Garandman

Reply #8   Feb 13, 2006 4:25 pm
I don't know - I don't have your machine nor have I read your manual. 

You have five forward speeds, though, so even if they were all a little slower it still wouldn't really make a difference, would it? You could cut more detents into the shift gate to make up for it if you desired.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #9   Feb 13, 2006 5:18 pm
Garandman wrote:
I don't know - I don't have your machine nor have I read your manual. 

You have five forward speeds, though, so even if they were all a little slower it still wouldn't really make a difference, would it? You could cut more detents into the shift gate to make up for it if you desired.

Got Ya! Thanks

Snowmann

Reply #10   Feb 13, 2006 5:26 pm
Moving your 1st forward speed closer to the center of the drive plate will reduce wheel torque and friction disk life. Don't get carried away...

PK

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42