Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 11528 Gearcase Leaking

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
CFoote

Ariens 11528 Gearcase Leaking
Original Message   Feb 4, 2006 10:14 pm
Hi All,

I have a year old Ariens 11528LE that I bought from a local Ariens dealer (trying to support the little guy). About a month ago I noticed red fluid seeping out of the aluminum gearcase in the front.

I called my dealer and he said its a fairly common problem. He said Ariens has a new lube out which is called L2 and that should seal the leak.

Now call me stupid, but I don't seem to recall L2 being a new fluid, it's been around for years and is probably what is in there now!

Do I just need a new gasket? My gameplan is to top off the gearcase for winter so that I won't go without a machine in the event of a large snowstorm. I'll bring it to them in the Spring and let them fix it.

Thanks for your advice!

Chris

Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
countryboy

Re: Ariens 11528 Gearcase Leaking
Reply #13   Feb 9, 2006 11:38 am
The grease zerk's on the auger shaft is there to prevent rust, the main reason is not for easier removal but to keep the auger shaft from rusting to the auger in case you run something through your blower they will turn and break the shear bolts. If any of you have tried to take a rusted bolt or similar thing apart you will understand the welding affect rust has.
Taking the shear bolts out and rotating  the auger while greasing it up a few times is a great idea, I only do this about every 3 or 4 years but I grease it up every year. Once a year is plenty considering the fact that it is just to prevent rust and the grease will not go to far.
Garandman

Reply #14   Feb 10, 2006 5:33 am
If you don't rotate them, the rakes will rust to the auger shaft and you'll have to cut the tube; put it in a 40 ton hydraulic press; heat it with a torch; then replace the seals on the auger gearcase damaged by the heat.
nibbler

Reply #15   Feb 10, 2006 8:02 am
bmwe0692 wrote:
Nibbler:
The shear bolts do just that!! They shear off (hopefully) before any damage is done
to the gear case,gears and rake shafts. If you get a news paper,door mat,
childs toy stuck in the bucket. At least you can turn the rakes to get whatever it is out! Make sure, it's out of gear,plug wire off and grounded. Stay safe!!!!
Take out the shear bolts, Use a grease gun on the zerks, that are on the tubes,turn the rakes 1/4 or 1/2 turn and squirt grease again,use plenty of grease!
Make sure both rakes turn easily on the shafts.
Put the shear bolts back in and tighten to manual specs.
Also go over the manual as to all the grease zerk locations and give them a shot of grease. Check over the machine, belts, cables,loose bolts or parts.
Have spares of shear bolts,belts,spark plug and fresh gas on hand
Don't want a break down when blowing 5" or 2' of snow!!
Hope this helps you.
T.J.

When you're working with the rakes its also a good idea to put something ( I use a 2x4) into the impeller via the discharge chute. Its also a good idea to try and remove whatever the jam is using something that isn't an integral part of your body, a small shovel works well. The tension in the system is suddenly released when the blockage is cleared and the rakes will move forward a bit to release the tension., anything soft and sliceable can get in the way and be seriously damaged.

Remeber to take the 2x4 out before starting up, its kind of (cough) embarassing if you don't 
Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42