Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need Help: Wheels get Stuck on a Trusty old Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowman

Need Help: Wheels get Stuck on a Trusty old Ariens
Original Message   Jan 24, 2006 8:08 pm
Have a circa 1970 7 HP Ariens chassis with a newer 7 HP Teucmseh engine.   Has the great differential.   Had a new problem in the last storm.

Twice, both times just after changing gears, the wheels both locked into position.  Auger/impeller continued to turn.  Engaged the shifter in verious gears and wheels remained locked.  Couldn't turn the machine, couldn't budge it.  Like it was stuck where it was.  Suddenly it freed itself as if nothing had gone wrong.

This was the first time it was used after I changed the belt.  I also had removed and reinstalled the impeller assembly after it seized.   I have no idea why the impeller  was stuck, but assume a rock or something was behind it.  The assembly spun fine after being reassembled, and it spun fine when the wheels were locked. 

I haven't a clue why the wheels would lock.  As I type this, I wonder if the differential engaging knob on the wheel is in the proper postion.

Any assistance appreciated.

New ones are on sale now at Home Depot.  It's tempting to get one, but I'd really like to keep this one going.
Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DNK1

Re: Need Help: Wheels get Stuck on a Trusty old Ariens
Reply #6   Jan 29, 2006 11:56 pm
Garandman wrote:
If it's a single belt machine and the auger is engaged and turing, I'd take a look at the friction wheel assembly. It's on a spring loaded carrier and may be hanging up or need adjustment.

This one doesn't have a differential but this is what the old ones look like inside.

The bearing to the left side of the friction wheel looks like it's on an angle or worn out.
Garandman

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2006 5:57 am
DNK1 wrote:
The bearing to the left side of the friction wheel looks like it's on an angle or worn out.

...Or partially dissasembled for rebuilding, which is why there waa no chain. Shifter not shown.

Garandman

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2006 6:40 am
Here's the same machine after completion of the refurbishing. It's a 1970.
snowman

Reply #9   Jan 30, 2006 12:07 pm
So the engine drives the disk that turns the rubber wheel that connects to the chain that drives the gears that turn the wheels......

How can I diagnose an infrequent seizure of the wheels turning?

Wheels lock hard in place, won't turn, the snowblower won't turn and the problem starts when shifting gears and it returns to normal sometime after under no specific condition as if nothing had happened.
Garandman

Reply #10   Jan 30, 2006 3:27 pm
First thing I'd do is the simplest. Disconnect the spark plug, and prop up the wheels on some crates or tip the unit forward securely, and take the bottom cover off the drive unit.  Shine alight in there and take a look.. Check the shifter action as well.

You never know. I bought a parts machine that was in great shape with a blown engine. But the drive unit didn't work properly. After I removed the mouse nest, and the shed snake skin, it worked much better.....
snowman

Reply #11   Jan 31, 2006 6:54 am
I've done that.

Took the bottom cover off and looked around earlier.  Posted above that the rubber wheel was in fine condition and round; everything else looked intact and secure.  And the shifter action is smooth.

I'm confuzzled.
Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42