Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need Help: Wheels get Stuck on a Trusty old Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowman

Need Help: Wheels get Stuck on a Trusty old Ariens
Original Message   Jan 24, 2006 8:08 pm
Have a circa 1970 7 HP Ariens chassis with a newer 7 HP Teucmseh engine.   Has the great differential.   Had a new problem in the last storm.

Twice, both times just after changing gears, the wheels both locked into position.  Auger/impeller continued to turn.  Engaged the shifter in verious gears and wheels remained locked.  Couldn't turn the machine, couldn't budge it.  Like it was stuck where it was.  Suddenly it freed itself as if nothing had gone wrong.

This was the first time it was used after I changed the belt.  I also had removed and reinstalled the impeller assembly after it seized.   I have no idea why the impeller  was stuck, but assume a rock or something was behind it.  The assembly spun fine after being reassembled, and it spun fine when the wheels were locked. 

I haven't a clue why the wheels would lock.  As I type this, I wonder if the differential engaging knob on the wheel is in the proper postion.

Any assistance appreciated.

New ones are on sale now at Home Depot.  It's tempting to get one, but I'd really like to keep this one going.
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42