Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > tecumsch or briggs + stratton engines which one ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snoman561

tecumsch or briggs + stratton engines which one ?
Original Message   Jan 21, 2006 10:44 am
I have decided to buy a ariens 7524 snow blower it comes with a tecumsch 7.5 hp ohv snowking engine or for 30 dollars move you can get a briggs + stratton 7.5 power built ohv engine any comments on which one is better would be a big help to me . thanks in advance
Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: tecumsch or briggs + stratton engines which one ?
Reply #2   Jan 21, 2006 12:06 pm
Ford or Chevy ? You are opening a can of worms with this thread. You will get half that say Tecumseh and half that will say Briggs .

I myself would take the Tecumseh . 

Garandman

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2006 1:26 pm
I have both brands. New to the business or not, the Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow OHV engine I have is impressive.

I don't think I'd spend the $30 though. They'll both last a long time.

jubol

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2006 4:12 pm
Snoman,

HD has the Ariens 926LE on sale for $799.00.

You might consider buying it!!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2006 12:39 pm
I bought the 7524E this year from HD and paid $759.00 in the box. You can pick it up now for $609.00 . I love it and its not very loud. If i were you I'd go for it.

SnowPro

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2006 8:22 pm
jubol wrote:

Briggs is new to the Sno engines business,

Tecumseh has been in the sno engines for ever!

Well, not exactly.  B&S HAD been in the snow engine business for a long time, but got out of it.  It then became a market dominated by Tecumseh.  Back in the day, the Briggs engines were hit and miss.  Some were very reliable and strong, some needed constant repairs.  Consequently, sales for those engines dropped and then halted comepletely.  Briggs and Stratton has recently re-entered the snow engine world, and this time their engines are winners.  Now, that being said, the power built engine is a lesser engine than the Intek engine.  While it will likely be very good, the Intek engine is commercially oriented and therefore built better.

To be fair, you cannot compare the Tec. L-head engine to the OHV Briggs engine.  But..........a properly maintained Tec. engine should last a homeowner a lifetime.

For a measly $30.00 go for the B&S.  It is very quiet, powerful and smooth running, compared to the Tecumseh L-head.

My 0.02

Ken

EGreen

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2006 2:13 am
SnowPro wrote:
Well, not exactly.  B&S HAD been in the snow engine business for a long time, but got out of it.  It then became a market dominated by Tecumseh.  Back in the day, the Briggs engines were hit and miss.  Some were very reliable and strong, some needed constant repairs.  Consequently, sales for those engines dropped and then halted comepletely.  Briggs and Stratton has recently re-entered the snow engine world, and this time their engines are winners.  Now, that being said, the power built engine is a lesser engine than the Intek engine.  While it will likely be very good, the Intek engine is commercially oriented and therefore built better.

To be fair, you cannot compare the Tec. L-head engine to the OHV Briggs engine.  But..........a properly maintained Tec. engine should last a homeowner a lifetime.

For a measly $30.00 go for the B&S.  It is very quiet, powerful and smooth running, compared to the Tecumseh L-head.

My 0.02

Ken

The 7524 has a Tecumseh OHV which is a great engine.  The briggs are good but may as well keep the 30 bucks and know that you have a machine with an engine thats been known for good winter service.

Garandman

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2006 7:20 am
SnowPro wrote:

The compact series Ariens have a Tecumseh OHV engine. not the L-head found on the Deluxe series.
Garandman

Reply #9   Jan 23, 2006 7:25 am
Since you can't edit messages, I did want to clarify that the 5.5hp Compact is an L head, the 6 and 7.5 are OHV.
SnowPro

Reply #10   Jan 23, 2006 11:27 pm
One thing I'd like to add is that I have spent NO time looking at the specs. of the Ariens line.  I only know the Pro series machines.  It appears that  the OHV engines are used more than I thought.

Ken

toolpig

Reply #11   Jan 24, 2006 4:54 am
I have owned two machines with 11.5hp engines.  One was a Briggs Intec snow OHV, and the other was a Tecumseh Snowking OHV.

Both have great power, the Briggs I found started easier and ran quieter. I don't know about long term reliability with regards to the briggs because I didn't own one that long,  BUT  I did own a 12hp tecumseh OHV that was on a Noma 33 in blower and it lasted 16 years . Then I sold it to a friend and it still runs great.

I drive neither Ford nor Chevy.  I drive a Dodge!

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42