Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why does craftsman get a bad rap?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loudsubz

Why does craftsman get a bad rap?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2005 8:47 am
I mean they use the same engine as the Ariens and other machines, so does it boil down to the craftsmanship and mechanical issues on these blowers rather than engine problems?
Replies: 7 - 16 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
singercs

Re: Why does craftsman get a bad rap?
Reply #7   Dec 16, 2005 3:23 pm
Majorxlr8n wrote:
Personally, The older Sears units were very tough. Most were made by Murray or AYP. The newer Sears really aren't that bad - but heres the catch. Any Murray made Craftsman currently available will be a bad choice if you need parts. Why? Murray was bought out by Briggs & Stratton & obtaining parts for any Murray product is a NIGHTMARE. Stuff like belts, skids & other commonly replacable parts can be had, but if you need a HARD part like a worm gear, auger rakes - forget it. To ID a "Murray" Sears, look at the model number - if it starts with "536" its a Murray. If you see "247" its made by MTD. MTD makes entry level machines that are so-so quality.

Marty

I just rebuilt my 87 8/28 craftsman's gearbox, auger shaft, impeller shaft, bearing assembly,impeller fan and augers and got all the parts right from sears here in Dartmouth.

the whole unit was seized on so I just cut everything off and started anew.

the machine was built by Murray and the last two storms threw snow like a new one.

Majorxlr8n

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2005 12:51 am
singercs wrote:
I just rebuilt my 87 8/28 craftsman's gearbox, auger shaft, impeller shaft, bearing assembly,impeller fan and augers and got all the parts right from sears here in Dartmouth.

WOW - you are VERY LUCKY INDEED! Glad to hear you got yours buttoned up! Next time I need parts, I'll call this very store & hope I'm as lucky...

Marty

singercs

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2005 6:02 am
Majorxlr8n wrote:
WOW - you are VERY LUCKY INDEED! Glad to hear you got yours buttoned up! Next time I need parts, I'll call this very store & hope I'm as lucky...

Marty

I don't know about being "very lucky "about getting parts for the machine, but I do know that Sears keeps quite a few parts in stock for the older units.

when I called for the gearbox parts both gears and casing halfs along with the shafts,keys and augers they had more than 6 of each available here and more in stock at the Toronto warehouse.

how long they will be available is anyones guess however they can be had with a bit of phone work, parts can be purchased from various small engine suppliers and most would be very glad to help track down any parts needed.

RnB213

Reply #10   Dec 19, 2005 9:40 pm
The typical wait for Craftsman parts is two weeks, best thing is as written above figure out who made your machine and find a dealer who carries those parts, then eventually buy one from them!  Murray/Noma parts have been resolved and are easy to obtain from a Briggs dealer (powersource canada in ont.)

Toro/Lawnboy, Simplicity, Snapper, Husqvarna,Jonsered, Briggs, Tecumseh,Kohler,Honda
wally

Reply #11   Dec 20, 2005 11:30 am
From a parts perspective, if you're in West Toronto, the Rexdale/401 Sears location has a great number of parts off the shelf.  And, yes...possibly two weeks if they don't have it.   But Tecumseh & B/S parts from a top-rate OPE shop usually take a week if it's something they don't have off the shelf.  So Sears is not too far "out-to-lunch" ... and Sears DOES have parts availability for older products - I've been very satisfied that way.   But Sears isn't cheap....there's a significant embedded charge in the price for handling... I've found ordering stuff off the web can be significantly cheaper than picking it up in person!!!   At least, that's been my experience.

*(:>)*

Doodlefork

Reply #12   Dec 20, 2005 12:31 pm
"Personally, The older Sears units were very tough. Most were made by Murray or AYP. The newer Sears really aren't that bad - but heres the catch. Any Murray made Craftsman currently available will be a bad choice if you need parts. Why? Murray was bought out by Briggs & Stratton & obtaining parts for any Murray product is a NIGHTMARE. - Marty "

Does this count for their riding mowers also?

Majorxlr8n

Reply #13   Dec 20, 2005 7:10 pm
Doodlefork wrote:
"Personally, The older Sears units were very tough. Most were made by Murray or AYP. The newer Sears really aren't that bad - but heres the catch. Any Murray made Craftsman currently available will be a bad choice if you need parts. Why? Murray was bought out by Briggs & Stratton & obtaining parts for any Murray product is a NIGHTMARE. - Marty "

Does this count for their riding mowers also?

If they are manufactured by Murray (536 model prefix), YES!

Marty

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #14   Feb 19, 2011 7:28 pm
Craftsman snow blowers have been built by many different manufacturers over the years, generally they have been of acceptable quality , some better than others. If you are buying a  Craftsman Snow Blower, Currently,   Buy one of  the models built by Husqvarna . They have excellent quality and great features.

But recently , I discovered that the Craftsman snowblowers sold in the USA are entirely different than those sold in  Canada and are  manufactured by different companies.   Here in  Canada we have Husqvarna built Craftsman snowblowers , which are not  sold in the USA. Excellent machines, Husqvarna in red.

This message was modified Feb 26, 2011 by royster

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #15   Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am
Why do you keep posting to threads that are years old?

CharlesW

Reply #16   Feb 20, 2011 2:34 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
Why do you keep posting to threads that are years old?

Why not?
It appears that the problems that were talked about 6 or 7 years ago still exist to some extent.
Maybe the discussion can help a newbie, (like me), make a more informed decision.

FWIW, When I was researching prior to making my decision this year, it seemed like much of the dissatisfaction was with Sears rather than the equipment.
I read a lot of reviews where owners felt the Craftsman did a good job and was a pretty decent "Bang for the Buck".
I also read a lot of negative comments about Sears service and parts. Those negative comments were enough for me to remove the Craftsman from consideration.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42