Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

"Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Original Message   Dec 13, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi all,
     Went upstate this past weekend to Cortland County (near Syracuse) to visit my mother. While I was there I swung by an old Ariens dealer to see if he had any of those snow cabs for my Ariens 8526LE. When i walked in I was greated with lots of nice machines....Simplicitys all over and a bunch of Toros. But no Ariens...so I just wondered around and was really digging Toro's new quick aim snow shoot! Pretty cool! But lots of plastic.... The Simplicitys look rugged and well built. Then the salesman/owner came out to ask if he could help. He didn't have any of the cabs but they were due in a week or so....then I asked him "where are the Ariens machines?" His reply.... "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Is there any truth to this? He went on to say that warranty work was killing him...his shop was full of repairs...and mainly all with the same problems. He said that the tranys were a major problem....plastic bushings causing problems and some other things that I can't remember. He said that after the last 2 years, he gave up.

Clarks garden power supply
They carry Simplicity, Ferris, Echo, and Toro...and no longer Ariens:(

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 37NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
gary31570

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #1   Dec 13, 2005 7:35 pm
Thru this group, I found an great Ariens dealer in Buffalo. We still have 4-5 dealers on the eastside of Cleveland, who matched the HD $999 price for the model 926.

I suspect HD made an offer to Ariens which was difficult to ignore. HD did not have Ariens change the model numbers,
which some big box stores can get mfg. to do, if they are different machines.

So far on this discussion board those who have purchased Ariens snow throwers from HD have not complained of their quality; therefore, Clarks Garden Power Supply may have another issue as to why they no longer carry the Ariens line.

I look forward to hearing from those who have bought from HD.

Gary

Cleveland,, OH
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #2   Dec 13, 2005 7:48 pm
It's possible, but also I can see where a lot of small mom and pop shops can get a bit upset when a company like Ariens sells huge quantities to these large chains, probably a lot cheaper then they sell to their smaller dealers. They must feel betrayed by the company. I would. How can you compete, when a company, that you're a dealer for won't back you up. I would think they have a minimum advertised pricing policy, but even still, when the little shop matches that price, he's still making less then HD.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2005 8:10 pm
Cheapened the machine? NO..

Cut the profit margine for small OPE dealers?  YES.....

Only difference between Identical stock number machine purchased from Agent Orange or a small OPE dealer is the quality of setup and experiance. Once Home Depot sells a machine, thats it. The OPE dealer will set the machine up properly and service after the sale.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #4   Dec 13, 2005 8:14 pm
"His reply.... "Ariens really cheapened their product to get it into Home Depot"

I also wonder if the allegation is true. But if you're HD, what do you do? You want to offer a quality snowblower to your customers. Maybe you're tired of having to deal with customer dissatisfaction over the MTD/Yard Machine/Poulan/AYP-type product. So you go looking for a manufacturer to supply you. There's really only three viable choices (Ariens-Toro-Simplicity). I didn't count Honda because of their likely price point. Of the three, only Ariens has the high marquee name recognition as a maker of snowblowers. Toro and Simplicity are good products, but those names are more associated with lawn equipment. So you court Ariens. I probably wouldn't buy a snowblower from HD but many people do, and if Ariens can get more of their machines into customers hands than the competition by selling through HD that's probably okay with Ariens...as long as some of the dealers stick around to service them.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   Dec 13, 2005 8:32 pm
FYI - HD DOES sell the small, single stage Honda HS520A snowthrower, but thats the only Honda model they offer...

Marty

Garandman

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2005 5:09 am
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:
Hi all,
     Went upstate this past weekend to Cortland County (near Syracuse) to visit my mother. While I was there I swung by an old Ariens dealer to see if he had any of those snow cabs for my Ariens 8526LE. When i walked in I was greated with lots of nice machines....Simplicitys all over and a bunch of Toros. But no Ariens...so I just wondered around and was really digging Toro's new quick aim snow shoot! Pretty cool! But lots of plastic.... The Simplicitys look rugged and well built. Then the salesman/owner came out to ask if he could help. He didn't have any of the cabs but they were due in a week or so....then I asked him "where are the Ariens machines?" His reply.... "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Is there any truth to this? He went on to say that warranty work was killing him...his shop was full of repairs...and mainly all with the same problems. He said that the tranys were a major problem....plastic bushings causing problems and some other things that I can't remember. He said that after the last 2 years, he gave up.

Clarks garden power supply
They carry Simplicity, Ferris, Echo, and Toro...and no longer Ariens:(
If you look at the upgrades to the Ariens line for this season, they have added steel in some critical areas that increased the thickness of the drive unit. Where are the plastic bushings located?

I don't suppose the dealer mentioned that all the warranty work that's "killing" him will become service work once the warranty is up?
jcco

Reply #7   Dec 14, 2005 1:02 pm
 Don't know if they are cheapened because my 1128LE is the first and LAST ARIENS I will own.

I bought from HD. They do not know how to set up anything. Had to re-work drive right away & still has one reverse speed only.

Machine is in repair shop now. Went in Nov. 16th & is now Dec. 14th. Auger worm gear stripped on first storm 14"

A month to fix? Might be an OK machine until it breaks, then good luck with repair & warranty. Ariens doesn't care, HD doesn't care, nobody cares. Now my driveway is so screwed up I'm sure 1128LE will break again trying to regain my now full snow storage. Hand shoveling 11' of snow in the last month has taken It's toll on me. When it breaks I will fix it myself which will cause "cancellation of warranty" But, what good is it? I not only have a worthless snowblower but a worthless warranty as well.

If I had to do it again I would buy 2 machines @ half the price so at least I would have a machine if one breaks down.

I am surviving using one of those little Toro electric power shovels. It is a joke but has hung in there better than ARIENS. Heck, go buy 10 power shovels & save yourself the trouble.

From Colorado, Summit County, which by the way has record/great skiing I hear. I am too busy hand shoveling to find ski time. Thank you ARIENS.

oakville

Reply #8   Dec 14, 2005 5:26 pm
sounds like your problems is Home Depot, not Ariens.  just reinforces that the best place to buy is your local OPE store, not a big box.  around here, there was no price savings, and the local guy would deliver an assembled, fueled unit ready to go, and give you a quick lesson in the driveway.
Garandman

Reply #9   Dec 14, 2005 6:16 pm
jcco wrote:
 Don't know if they are cheapened because my 1128LE is the first and LAST ARIENS I will own.

I bought from HD. ////

Just curious - since HD has a 30 day return policy why didn't you just bring it back?

You say Ariens doesn't care, did you call Customer Service, or?
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #10   Dec 14, 2005 6:23 pm
I bought 2 Ariens machines the last 2 years from my local OPE dealer. One is a 1128DLE the other a 8526LE. I COULD have saved a bunch on the 8526LE with a 10% HD coupon...but....when something breaks that I bought from HD, I know this OPE shop will fix it but ........I will be at the back of the line.

In previous years I did notice that some of the Ariens blowers were slopped together. Well, just look at their help...these folks just come and go out the revolving door. You had better be handy if you purchase one from HD IMO.

That auger should not have broke so soon even if it was a 2004 as it is an improved version over the 2003 model. Maybe just bad luck.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 37NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42