Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which Snowblower shoud we get?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BBgarage

Which Snowblower shoud we get?
Original Message   Dec 6, 2005 12:39 am
Hi, First let me introduce myself, I am Mike, I am 16, I made this account with a friend for us both to use. I live in New England and found this forum through google because I felt it was neccessary to ask some snowblower experts and people who have various blowers what I should purchase.

Basically my mother decided she wants a snow blower so my dad doesnt have a heart attack in the case that I am not home to shovel(he has a valve problem). At first she wanted to go with the Arien 7.5, but I did some research and figured with the thick snow the plows pile up at the edge of our driveway, the 9.25 HP deluxe model would be better. When researching I also came accross an 11.5 HP blower from craftsman with power steering, and a 10.5 HP blower from Yard Tools that had "power steering." First let me mention I have a small, 30 by 20 driveway, and a 50 foot sidewalk. I also want to add that to make money this winter I will be doing neigboring houses so I want something relativly reliable and durable, though none of this is extreme use. I compiled some general info and was hoping for some input on what I should get.

The Ariens 7524E Compact: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/compact_sno_thros/7524_e/
Price: $749 at HD
Pros: Compact, Cheap and Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: No console, small intake, So so power
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? How annoying does the lack of console shute controls get(the ones at HD don't even have the hand crank)?

The Ariens 926LE Deluxe: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/deluxe_sno_thros/926_le/
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: Durable(seemingly), Large 4 Bladed impeller, Console mounted controls, Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: Lack of differential or any type of assisted steering system
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows?

Yard Machines 5MLG729: http://www.yardmachines.com/servlet/BrandProductDetail?ID=1597&CAT=14&SUB=74
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: 10.5 Ponies, "power steering," Seemingly same features as Ariens 926LE, fairly priced, coolest color scheme
Cons: Polymer shute, suspicious brand, the cheaper one at my local HD had looked pretty flimsy, didn't seem to "heavy"
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? Is this brand really any good? How reliable is it? How long until the "polymer shute" cracks?

Craftsman 11.5HP Snow Thrower: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07188115000&tab=des&bidsite=CRAFT#tab
Price: $1,049 at Local Sears
Pros: 11.5 HP, "power steering," Craftsman name, Looks like it might be tough
Cons: 12 inch 3 blade impeller(outdone by 926LE), I see some plastic, Not Ariens
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? This has more power, but does it function as well as the Ariens system with the larger 4 bladed impeller?

I am interested in peoples(especially owners and expersts) responses to my question. Are there any other recomended brands for this 1k price that can be purchased locally? Currently I am leaning towards the Ariens as most of my friends have them and one found a 25 year old one at a yard sale and it runs great. Any other info I should be aware of feel free to add.

Thanks,

Mike of BBgarage
Replies: 33 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
BBgarage

Re: Which Snowblower shoud we get?
Reply #33   Dec 11, 2005 6:35 pm
I just raised the skids and the blower seemed to be skipping. it would stick, and pop up, stick, and pop up, etc, etc. I checked and realized on one of the skids I had overtightened a bolt stripping it and making it loose(I will pick one up at the hardware store tommorow). As a result this runner was sliding all the way up. Could that have been causing the skipping?
solara

Reply #34   Dec 11, 2005 7:28 pm
maybe if its out of balance.

either get a stainles steel screw and nut or go to andy s; farina; ferraros and get the rt screw. its to new to start playing around.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
BBgarage

Reply #35   Dec 11, 2005 7:32 pm
The bolt and nut is pretty standard, 1/4 inche carraige. I can pick it up for a few cence down the street at National Lumber or Home Depot.

The machine was fine the other day but the skids were too low, I put them up now, and I guess since one slid all the way up the piece of metal behind the auger keeps catching things.
nibbler

Reply #36   Dec 11, 2005 8:44 pm
If the scraper bar is too low on one side then that is probably why you're getting the skipping that you describe. The scraper catches on something, traction system pushes harder and then the bar releases.

The height adjustment depends on what  type of surface you are clearing. Smooth pavement  can have an adjustment that is pretty close. If yo were going to clear gravel then the scraper bar needs to be higher up to prevent it from catching gravel and feeding it into the auger to be shot out the impeller.

Have fun you got a seet machine.
BBgarage

Reply #37   Dec 11, 2005 8:55 pm
No gravel, but definatly not flat pavement. So I adjusted them so they are a little farther out than a "paint mixer". However one keeps sliding back up so I need to fix that.
Garandman

Reply #38   Dec 12, 2005 7:00 am
solara wrote:
maybe if its out of balance.

either get a stainles steel screw and nut or go to andy s; farina; ferraros and get the rt screw. its to new to start playing around.

It's a 5/16" plated carriage bolt, they're hard to find in 3/4" length but 1" works fine.
BBgarage

Reply #39   Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm
Thanks. Would zinc work alright?
Replies: 33 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42