Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which Snowblower shoud we get?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BBgarage

Which Snowblower shoud we get?
Original Message   Dec 6, 2005 12:39 am
Hi, First let me introduce myself, I am Mike, I am 16, I made this account with a friend for us both to use. I live in New England and found this forum through google because I felt it was neccessary to ask some snowblower experts and people who have various blowers what I should purchase.

Basically my mother decided she wants a snow blower so my dad doesnt have a heart attack in the case that I am not home to shovel(he has a valve problem). At first she wanted to go with the Arien 7.5, but I did some research and figured with the thick snow the plows pile up at the edge of our driveway, the 9.25 HP deluxe model would be better. When researching I also came accross an 11.5 HP blower from craftsman with power steering, and a 10.5 HP blower from Yard Tools that had "power steering." First let me mention I have a small, 30 by 20 driveway, and a 50 foot sidewalk. I also want to add that to make money this winter I will be doing neigboring houses so I want something relativly reliable and durable, though none of this is extreme use. I compiled some general info and was hoping for some input on what I should get.

The Ariens 7524E Compact: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/compact_sno_thros/7524_e/
Price: $749 at HD
Pros: Compact, Cheap and Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: No console, small intake, So so power
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? How annoying does the lack of console shute controls get(the ones at HD don't even have the hand crank)?

The Ariens 926LE Deluxe: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/deluxe_sno_thros/926_le/
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: Durable(seemingly), Large 4 Bladed impeller, Console mounted controls, Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: Lack of differential or any type of assisted steering system
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows?

Yard Machines 5MLG729: http://www.yardmachines.com/servlet/BrandProductDetail?ID=1597&CAT=14&SUB=74
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: 10.5 Ponies, "power steering," Seemingly same features as Ariens 926LE, fairly priced, coolest color scheme
Cons: Polymer shute, suspicious brand, the cheaper one at my local HD had looked pretty flimsy, didn't seem to "heavy"
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? Is this brand really any good? How reliable is it? How long until the "polymer shute" cracks?

Craftsman 11.5HP Snow Thrower: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07188115000&tab=des&bidsite=CRAFT#tab
Price: $1,049 at Local Sears
Pros: 11.5 HP, "power steering," Craftsman name, Looks like it might be tough
Cons: 12 inch 3 blade impeller(outdone by 926LE), I see some plastic, Not Ariens
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? This has more power, but does it function as well as the Ariens system with the larger 4 bladed impeller?

I am interested in peoples(especially owners and expersts) responses to my question. Are there any other recomended brands for this 1k price that can be purchased locally? Currently I am leaning towards the Ariens as most of my friends have them and one found a 25 year old one at a yard sale and it runs great. Any other info I should be aware of feel free to add.

Thanks,

Mike of BBgarage
Replies: 1 - 39 of 39View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 39 of 39View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42