Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > simplicity 1170e wont start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
corsair

simplicity 1170e wont start
Original Message   Dec 4, 2005 11:27 am
i have a simplicity 1170e that has seen just 2 winters.  this morning i tried to use it for the first time this season, and it wiil not even try to start.  i prepped it last season according to the manufacturers instructions: drained the fuel, changed the oil, little oil in the cylinder (and i sowly cranked a few times, etc), new spark plug.  this morning the key was installed, choke set, throttle to fast, fresh fuel, and i primed it as required.  when the manual pull start got me nowhere (which has always worked, even on very cold days), i went to the electric start which also proved useless.

i verified that i am getting fuel flow to the carb (pulled the fuel line off at the carb and fuel flowed freely) .  i verified that the primer bulb and its line are unblocked (removed hose and visiually inspected).  i verified that the fuel tank vent is clear (visually and by checking fuel flow was unchanged out of the fuel line with and without the gas cap installed).  i verified that i am getting a spark at the plug.  i squirted a bit of starting fluid into the carb and the engine started and ran for a second or two until the ether had burned off...so it seems as though it is in running condition (which i would expect).  there has been absolutely no change in its desire to start; it doesnt even sputter and belch like it is trying to start.  it simply spins up.

it is not bitterly cold hold...it is in the 20's.  so, i am lost as to what to try next...i have never experienced such a problem before.  any suggestions would be appreciated!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Re: simplicity 1170e wont start
Reply #1   Dec 4, 2005 11:41 am
Make sure that you have the choke in the correct position. The chokes on Simplicity's are very confusing....
wally

Re: simplicity 1170e wont start
Reply #2   Dec 4, 2005 3:16 pm
Don't know the machine - but you didn't actually say gas was getting INTO the carb - only that gas TO the carb ran freely.  Stuck float??? If you continued to prime it, does it overflow??? If not, something's not functioning.  You also didn't say that the spark plug was wet if you pulled it.  Presumably it would have flooded sometime in the process.  Good luck.

*(:>)*

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42