Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bimbert84

True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface
Original Message   Oct 16, 2005 9:11 am
My driveway is about 25'x40', with a 60'x5' sidewalk, all pavement.  I live in Metro Detroit, so most of our snowfalls are in the 6"-and-under range.  But once or twice a year, we get hit with 10" or so, and that's when my single stage just ain't cutting it.  I currently have a 6HP Toro that really gives me a workout when the snow gets deep and/or wet.  Plus, it is pretty much useless for any substantial EOD. 

Medical reasons now require me to get a machine that will require less physical straining in the deeper snows, so I'm looking at a 2-stage.  I'm really leaning toward the Ariens 7254E.  I have no doubt this will have enough power, but my primary concern is whether or not it can clear right down to the surface on a paved driveway.  I've never used a 2-stage, so I'm relying on the advice of others here.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bimbert84

Re: True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface
Reply #5   Oct 17, 2005 6:47 pm
Majorxlr8n wrote:
A 2 stage can be adjusted pretty low so that it can scrape a good amount of snow off the surface, but it may leave a miniscule amount. The single stage machines with rubber augers come in complete contact & get it all. Maybe keep both? Use the 2 stage for the big snows & then clean up the residue with the single stage? Just a thought.

Marty

I'd probably just clean up the residue with a shovel rather than use a second machine.

-- Rob

krislu

Reply #6   Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm
Bimbert84- Because no driveway/walkway is smooth there are always bumps and obsticles, curbs etc and you will ware down the scraper bar faster and the machine has more of a chance to hit something and get stuck and the shock on the machine if you do hit something . it also picks up stones and twiggs that you really don't want to go thru the machine and get thrown. That's why. - Kris

bimbert84

Reply #7   Oct 18, 2005 5:59 am
krislu wrote:
Bimbert84- Because no driveway/walkway is smooth there are always bumps and obsticles, curbs etc and you will ware down the scraper bar faster and the machine has more of a chance to hit something and get stuck and the shock on the machine if you do hit something . it also picks up stones and twiggs that you really don't want to go thru the machine and get thrown. That's why. - Kris

So how far up do you position the scraper for a typical, suburban, paved driveway?  1mm?  1/8"?  1/4"?  1/2"?  1"?

-- Rob

krislu

Reply #8   Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm
1/2" to an inch is fine.  - Kris

jonb

Reply #9   Oct 18, 2005 2:56 pm
bimbert84 wrote:
So how far up do you position the scraper for a typical, suburban, paved driveway?  1mm?  1/8"?  1/4"?  1/2"?  1"?

-- Rob

I just ordered a 7524 and the dealer said he would set it up at about 1/8" for a paved driveway.

I, too, am coming from a single stage Toro that wiped the pavement clean. I can't imagine leaving 1/2"-1" of snow unless you have a gravel driveway.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   Oct 18, 2005 4:14 pm
I adjust the skids by placing paint stirrers under the machine, making sure they are in contact with the scaper bar. Then I adjust the skids so that the scraper bar just rests on the paint sticks. This provides about 1/8" clearance, which usually keeps the scraper bar high enough from bottoming out but providing a pretty good cleanup of snow.

Marty

bimbert84

Reply #11   Oct 19, 2005 3:32 am
Majorxlr8n wrote:
I adjust the skids by placing paint stirrers under the machine, making sure they are in contact with the scaper bar. Then I adjust the skids so that the scraper bar just rests on the paint sticks. This provides about 1/8" clearance, which usually keeps the scraper bar high enough from bottoming out but providing a pretty good cleanup of snow.

Marty

So do you have to clean it up with a shovel, or do you just leave it?  Do you have problems with the leftover 1/8" freezing over?

-- Rob

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #12   Oct 20, 2005 8:59 pm
I adjusted the scraper bar/ skids on my Ariens so that they allow the scraper bar to clean the driveway as much as it can.  I found that leaving 1/8" or 1/4" of snow just caused me more problems with icing after I snowblowed.  I wasn't going to go out and try and shovel the remaining 1/8" of packed snow off after snowblowing. 

I haven't really noticed a downside, although I do have to be careful at the driveway/ road transition, as the lip is about 1/2" high. 

The scraper bar has lasted three years so far, with minimal wear.  I think it cost about $20 for a new scraper bar.  Well worth the "clean driveway" factor. 

Good Luck,

Ralph

Garandman

Reply #13   Oct 21, 2005 10:20 am
I don't fret about it too much as the wind is going to blow a film back on anyway. If not a drift.
Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42