Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bimbert84

True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface
Original Message   Oct 16, 2005 9:11 am
My driveway is about 25'x40', with a 60'x5' sidewalk, all pavement.  I live in Metro Detroit, so most of our snowfalls are in the 6"-and-under range.  But once or twice a year, we get hit with 10" or so, and that's when my single stage just ain't cutting it.  I currently have a 6HP Toro that really gives me a workout when the snow gets deep and/or wet.  Plus, it is pretty much useless for any substantial EOD. 

Medical reasons now require me to get a machine that will require less physical straining in the deeper snows, so I'm looking at a 2-stage.  I'm really leaning toward the Ariens 7254E.  I have no doubt this will have enough power, but my primary concern is whether or not it can clear right down to the surface on a paved driveway.  I've never used a 2-stage, so I'm relying on the advice of others here.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 13NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: True or false: a 2-stage can clear down to the surface
Reply #1   Oct 16, 2005 12:28 pm
A 2 stage can be adjusted pretty low so that it can scrape a good amount of snow off the surface, but it may leave a miniscule amount. The single stage machines with rubber augers come in complete contact & get it all. Maybe keep both? Use the 2 stage for the big snows & then clean up the residue with the single stage? Just a thought.

Marty

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #2   Oct 16, 2005 2:59 pm
Majorxlr8n wrote:
A 2 stage can be adjusted pretty low so that it can scrape a good amount of snow off the surface, but it may leave a miniscule amount. The single stage machines with rubber augers come in complete contact & get it all. Maybe keep both? Use the 2 stage for the big snows & then clean up the residue with the single stage? Just a thought.

Marty

True. If you really, really need it to scrape bare pavement, you can have it ride on the steel scraper bar.

But it will wear out faster, and can catch any cracks or bumps in the drive, causing a sudden stop or the machine to jump. Ive caught sidewalk edges with my machine, and it does jolt you.

Or, you can use the Big machine to do the heavy work, and then touch up with the Toro. Little extra work, but will save the machine.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
krislu

Reply #3   Oct 16, 2005 4:01 pm
True !  I wouldn't do it though.  - Kris

bimbert84

Reply #4   Oct 17, 2005 6:46 pm
krislu wrote:
True !  I wouldn't do it though.  - Kris

Why not?

-- Rob

bimbert84

Reply #5   Oct 17, 2005 6:47 pm
Majorxlr8n wrote:

Marty

I'd probably just clean up the residue with a shovel rather than use a second machine.

-- Rob

krislu

Reply #6   Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm
Bimbert84- Because no driveway/walkway is smooth there are always bumps and obsticles, curbs etc and you will ware down the scraper bar faster and the machine has more of a chance to hit something and get stuck and the shock on the machine if you do hit something . it also picks up stones and twiggs that you really don't want to go thru the machine and get thrown. That's why. - Kris

bimbert84

Reply #7   Oct 18, 2005 5:59 am
krislu wrote:
Bimbert84- Because no driveway/walkway is smooth there are always bumps and obsticles, curbs etc and you will ware down the scraper bar faster and the machine has more of a chance to hit something and get stuck and the shock on the machine if you do hit something . it also picks up stones and twiggs that you really don't want to go thru the machine and get thrown. That's why. - Kris

So how far up do you position the scraper for a typical, suburban, paved driveway?  1mm?  1/8"?  1/4"?  1/2"?  1"?

-- Rob

krislu

Reply #8   Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm
1/2" to an inch is fine.  - Kris

jonb

Reply #9   Oct 18, 2005 2:56 pm
bimbert84 wrote:
So how far up do you position the scraper for a typical, suburban, paved driveway?  1mm?  1/8"?  1/4"?  1/2"?  1"?

-- Rob

I just ordered a 7524 and the dealer said he would set it up at about 1/8" for a paved driveway.

I, too, am coming from a single stage Toro that wiped the pavement clean. I can't imagine leaving 1/2"-1" of snow unless you have a gravel driveway.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   Oct 18, 2005 4:14 pm
I adjust the skids by placing paint stirrers under the machine, making sure they are in contact with the scaper bar. Then I adjust the skids so that the scraper bar just rests on the paint sticks. This provides about 1/8" clearance, which usually keeps the scraper bar high enough from bottoming out but providing a pretty good cleanup of snow.

Marty

Replies: 1 - 10 of 13NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42