Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Sno Thro Auger & Rake - 'til death do they part?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Ariens Sno Thro Auger & Rake - 'til death do they part?
Original Message   Jul 23, 2005 10:06 am
I'm restoring an old Ariens Sno Thro and one of the rakes is seemingly locked to the shaft. Guy at work put it on a 40 ton hydraulic press and it still didn't budge - just started distorting the rake. He didn't heat it though.

I have a second parts snowblower and the rake is stuck on that one as well. The difference is that one is on the "closed" side of the gearbox so I could remove the axle shaft if necessary.

I'm was thinking of getting as much penetrating oil on it as possible, putting a gear puller on it, leaving ot for a few days, tighten the puller, etc. Any other suggestions? Both gearboxes are nice and tight and they're the old cast iron ones so I'd like to rescue both of them.
Replies: 18 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Ariens Sno Thro Auger & Rake - 'til death do they part?
Reply #18   Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am
May be center drill the center of the shaft so the puller has somewhere for the point to go.  Put a good deal of pressure on the shaft, and hit the end of the puller screw with a hammer to see if it will break loose.  I'm sure you tried this, but I figured I would post it anyway.
Garandman

Reply #19   Aug 10, 2005 3:30 pm
There is a hole in the end of the shaft, I put a smaller bolt in it so the puller would have something to bear on.
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #20   Aug 10, 2005 7:06 pm
Jeez,
You guys are scaring me......sounds like dangerous work.
Is there anything I should be doing NOW so I do not need to do this to MY Ariens snowblower a few years down the road??

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #21   Aug 10, 2005 7:54 pm
Regularly do the grease procedure, take the shear pins out and rotate the augers around the shaft while putting grease in the fittings once in a while.  I'll do that sometime this season. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Garandman

Reply #22   Aug 11, 2005 4:50 pm
Frank, what AJ says is Ground Truth.

Many owners faithfully lube the Zerks - you can tell because it's coming out the ends. But they don't rotate the Rake on the auger shaft, so it never gets distributed.

The other problems I found on almost every one I looked at was that the bushings on the ends of the auger and for the axle shaft are often badly worn. They're $3 each at a dealer. The auger bushings are easy, the axle bushings require knocking out a couple of roll pins. 
This message was modified Aug 11, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 18 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42