Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Deck Sealers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NYCGator

Deck Sealers
Original Message   Jul 30, 2005 1:01 pm
So I put my Troy Built 2550 psi pressure washer to use and cleaned my unbelievably large wood deck.  Came out great (I'll post a before and after photo when I'm done).  I don't want to have to do this every year, so I need the board's advice on the best sealer to finish the job.  I don't think I'm going to stain the deck (I think the fading would get on my nerves), so I'm looking for a clear or tinted sealer that hopefully will give me a few years good protection.  What do y'all like? TIA!
Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
NYCGator

Re: Deck Sealers
Reply #2   Jul 30, 2005 4:31 pm
I've heard raves about Thompson's, but I've also read a bit from those who think it's a reputation only product (like Bose).  Since I know there are many on the board that have done their own decks I wanted to get some opinions here.  Actually I've recently heard some very good things about Thompson's new Advanced line.  As of now that is what I'm leaning towards.
This message was modified Jul 30, 2005 by NYCGator
Termy

Reply #3   Jul 30, 2005 5:10 pm
There are several good brands but Thomsons is the one I hear people using all the time

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #4   Jul 30, 2005 8:01 pm
Regular tompsons is cheap stuff. You barelly get a year or so out of it.( Consumers reports backs this claim up )  They now make a better, Super version that works better, more solids in it. Max life for a deck sealer, on a Horizontal surface, is usually only 2-4 years, because of the extreme abuse from ice, snow, water and walking .

I sold Paint ( Benj Moore and Sears ) for years , and the reps always said, if they dont buy ours, sell anything but Thompsons.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
krislu

Reply #5   Jul 30, 2005 8:56 pm
Take a look at Cabot. They make excellent products. - Kris

uc113

Reply #6   Jul 31, 2005 7:15 pm
I can tell you from personal experience the only brand I would ever use anymore is called one time wood.  Here is the link to their site http://www.onetimewood.com/     We stained my deck and the deck of my best friend several years ago with this product and it still looks great.  My neighbors used cuprinol and another used aa product by flood.  Within two years they were re-applying the product, but not me.  Yes it is expensive, but the amount of time it saves you from not having to re-apply it every two years is well worth it.  I highly recommend this product to anyone getting reaady to do their deck or childs swingset etc.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jul 31, 2005 7:31 pm
Hi NYCGator...

Ok... what kind of wood is it ? (assunption)... 

Deck Board  dimensions?  (I.e. 2"x"6"... 1"x4"...)...

Open joints between boards ? ... or tight tongue & groove flooring ?

Smooth ? a little rough ? kinda' rough ? (surface)...

Location in country ? amount of sun & rain that hits it ?   Near the ocean ?

How far off the ground ? Usual use for the deck ?

$$$ any limitation ? Will apply yourself or hire someone ?

Welcome to the best OPE site !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

NYCGator

Reply #8   Jul 31, 2005 10:41 pm
Dave,

Here's more info.

1)     Deck board is almost all pressure treated 2" x 4" (wouldn't have been my choice but I didn't build it).  A cabana addition is 2" x 6".

2)     Open joints between the boards

3)     Kinda rough in spots with some splits in some boards (nothing too bad).  The prior owner did not take good care of the deck.

4)     Located on on Long Island, but not on the water (ocean is several miles away).  Most of the deck gets alot of sun exposure as well as rain when well it rains.

5)     The deck has three levels.  The top level is substantially above the ground, the second level is raised about a foot and the last level is on the ground.  Deck is usual use and houses my outdoor table and chairs, sun chairs, BBQ.

6)     No real limitation on $$$.  I will gladly pay more for a longer lasting finish and better quality finish.  Given the size of the deck and my limited time this summer, I am going to hire someone to do the finish work.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have.  Right now I am leaning towards Superdeck's Pressure Treated Stain/Sealer.

Garandman

Reply #9   Aug 1, 2005 6:47 am
CR tested them. Thompson's did not do wel.. The more opaque the longer they last: Here's the Summary:

Best for most decks:
1, 2 Cabot $24, $29
3 Wolman $25
The Cabots are outstanding opaque treatments. (1), an alkyd, cleans up with solvent; (2), a latex, cleans up with water. The Wolman (3) is the best choice for wood worth showing off; it's an alkyd but cleans up with water. Most semitransparent products we tested are alkyds, but (12) is a latex.

#1 Cabot Decking Stain 1480
Cabot Solid Color 1880

3 Wolman DuraStain 18146
Benjamin Moore Moorwood 065

#5 Akzo Nobel Sikkens Cetol SRD 1708902

#5 Behr Deck Plus 200 line

I used a Behr semi-transparent because my wife liked the Color and Home Depot stocks it. I picked a color that thy always stock because you'll have to do it every two years or so. I put two coats on with a airless spray gun for the vertical serfaces and a rolloer or the deck. We have a two story deck so it's a brutal job. I've used Cetol a lot on boats and it holds up well.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #10   Aug 1, 2005 11:57 am
Thanks for finding that article Garandman.

Just be carefull with any Solid Color stain, or one that doesnt specifically say DECK ( Horizontal Surface is sometimes used) on it. Some stains will not hold up 6 months if they are walked on. Will end up with traffic wear  and nasty peeling.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
jubol

Reply #11   Aug 1, 2005 12:53 pm
 All,

A very easy way to put on transparent  or tinted stain is to use a hand pump sprayer.

They cost no more than $15.00. You may use a little more stain with the sprayer, but it sure goes on fast!!

You can buy them at Lowe's or HD!!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42