Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Great time to buy a new truck

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Great time to buy a new truck
Original Message   Jun 8, 2005 5:40 am
I forget the guys name here I mailed the GM buying cert last year that saved him K's, BUT anywho, Just picked up a new Avalanche today taking advantage of Chevys "Employee" discount, available to everyone until July 5th.  Have ats Gents.  I spent the night pullin the exhaust off y 02, to put on my 05.  Ahhh that new car smell, and new Corsa exhaust is yummy!!!
Replies: 12 - 21 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Re: Great time to buy a new truck
Reply #12   Jun 10, 2005 11:09 am
Marshall wrote:
I saw where Honda Motor Company is considering raising their prices on US Honda's in order to "try to help out the domestic auto market".

Would Honda consider lowering its Canadian retail prices to help out the Cdn domestic buyer?

It seem they've already been a price leader here to help out the domestic car makers, but people keep buying Hondas anyway.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #13   Jun 10, 2005 11:16 am
I think it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're smart enought to realize that Honda owners are going to keep buying Honda's even with a price increase. It helps with their image which is already pretty good and will certainly help with profits.
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #14   Jun 10, 2005 11:41 am
Marshall wrote:
I think it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're smart enought to realize that Honda owners are going to keep buying Honda's even with a price increase. It helps with their image which is already pretty good and will certainly help with profits.

Sadly some of us Honda owners weren't as smart as Honda. Had one, love it. Traded it in for a domestic vehicle which constantly needed repairs. Sold that one and bought a new domestic minivan that consumes parts like a chocoholic does smarties. Maybe I pay more up front for the Honda, but it seems I pay a whole lot less in maintaining it, which more than makes up for the higher price.

I'm not really complaining though, as the Honda service people didn't know me by name, but my Dodge dealer's service and I are on a first name basis. You really can't put a price on friendly social interaction can you? And I've almost got a dedication plaque over one of the services bays that I helped pay for. Just a few more visits oughta do it.  And I will have 20 holes punched on my frequent service users card that qualifies me for free coffee in the waiting area, and use of the easy-boy chair on a priority basis. So why would I buy a Honda again?

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #15   Jun 10, 2005 3:00 pm
Honda makes a good car, but I would never buy one unless they came out w/ a V-8 at least.  I have driven a friends accord w/ V6, yippee.  That new truck they came out w/ that looks like the Avalanche only has a 6, that just does nothing for me.  I know gas is expensive, but I will continue to enjoy the sound of my tires makin a small chirp when i punch it at 40mph.  Hell I can spin my 68 Olds around at 40 mph givin it only 3/4 pedal.   
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #16   Jun 10, 2005 8:59 pm
GM vehicles don't seem to need much repair, they just keep going and going and going.  I have a 90' Silverado that doesn't miss a beat and has almost always started but twice when I really didn't need to go where I was planning on.  Chevy is really like a rock.  Are they still making them this way?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Garandman

Reply #17   Jun 10, 2005 9:16 pm
Bill_D wrote:
Honda makes a good car, but I would never buy one unless they came out w/ a V-8 at least.  I have driven a friends accord w/ V6, yippee.  That new truck they came out w/ that looks like the Avalanche only has a 6, that just does nothing for me.  I know gas is expensive, but I will continue to enjoy the sound of my tires makin a small chirp when i punch it at 40mph.  Hell I can spin my 68 Olds around at 40 mph givin it only 3/4 pedal.   

I have an 05 Accord V6. On a round trip NH - CT, I averaged 30.3 mpg . On one tank I averaged 31.3. This for a car with 240hp  from a V6 that burns regular. It does 0-60 in  less than 7 seconds according to most magazines, and  the quarter mile in less than 16 seconds with trap speeds  of 92-95 mph. That's with the five speed automatic - the manual is faster. It's been named Best Family Sedan and one of the 10 Best by Car & Driver in 19 of the last 23 years. And the best thing - the second exhaust pipe is pretty much hidden behind the rear bumper so if you remove the V6 sticker on the back it looks just like a 4 cyl Accord .  

By surfing the www I was able to find one Oldsmobile that is faster. According to albeedigital.com, a 1969 Olds 442 will do 0-60 in 5.9 and a 13.9 sec quarter mile.

I know what you mean by spinning those old Detroit V8's. I drove my brother's 1965 GTO a lot (when gas was 33.9 and it's a good thing as it got 11-12 mpg) and it would leave rubber if you let your foot off the clutch at idle. It also had drum brakes, bias ply tires, recirculating ball manual steering, and a clutch that  would make a man out of you.  Starting it below freezing usually involved a can of ether and some sprinting back and forth. After driving through a puddle I'd leave my foot on the brake peal for a while to dry out the brakes so I could stop someday.  0-60 5.8, 1/4 in 14.5 @ 100, top speed 114. Putting 3.90 gears in anything sure helps 0-60. At 75mph the GTO was spinning at around 3,500  rpms as I recall. The Honda is turning 2,200.....guess which lasts longer....
This message was modified Jun 10, 2005 by Garandman
Marshall

Reply #18   Jun 10, 2005 10:40 pm
1995 Merc Cougar 0-60 in 5.5 sec. Top speed 146........so far.
115,000 miles + ........like new condition.

I'll get you a better picture someday

Emmo

Reply #19   Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Nice ride!!!!!!

Hey Marshall........Looks like there are 2 guys tarred (hold the feathers) hanging from your tree!
Marshall

Reply #20   Jun 11, 2005 12:07 am
We do that here in Oklahoma now and then Emmo.

Actually it's the Ex and one of her friends, don't really want to stare at her here on the forum.

It had 2 chamber Flowmasters then, now they're 1 chambers. Top speed raised almost 10mph and 55-100 has a marked improvement. Obviously that's not all that's done to it.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #21   Jun 11, 2005 12:21 am
Just saw a commercial that GM is doin all cars at employee cost now to.  Great time to pick up a new car as well if anyones in the market.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42