Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Great time to buy a new truck

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Great time to buy a new truck
Original Message   Jun 8, 2005 5:40 am
I forget the guys name here I mailed the GM buying cert last year that saved him K's, BUT anywho, Just picked up a new Avalanche today taking advantage of Chevys "Employee" discount, available to everyone until July 5th.  Have ats Gents.  I spent the night pullin the exhaust off y 02, to put on my 05.  Ahhh that new car smell, and new Corsa exhaust is yummy!!!
Replies: 1 - 48 of 48View as Outline
robmints

Re: Great time to buy a new truck
Reply #1   Jun 8, 2005 7:38 am
Congrats Bill. Nice.

They better do something. Getting rid of almost 25% of the work force, that's their plan. Wow.

The unfunded retirement benefits that the big auto and UAW agreed to, is going to kill them.

There is more retirement  in many GM cars than steel. I edited out an "every and put in a many"

There are about 2 retirees for every current GM worker.

Not good.
This message was modified Jun 8, 2005 by robmints
Dantheman

Reply #2   Jun 8, 2005 8:23 am
It figures,  I bought my Colorado in April...If I had waited any longer though I would have lost my trade. Just my luck.

Dan

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Jun 8, 2005 9:56 am
Cat back sysytem I take it?
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #4   Jun 8, 2005 5:17 pm
Bill, you seem to buy new vehicles all the time.  You bought a brand new one and still have your truck SS?  Lotsa plastic on those, but they are neat.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #5   Jun 9, 2005 3:41 am
No plastic on this 05'. W/O Body Hardware.  Jet black everything but chrome bumps.   It's gorgeus!!!

Yeah, Cat back Marshall.  I'm gonna try to post a sound clip of the Corsa.  I've tried just about all over the years, ands depending on the exact vehicle, always loved Flow Masters, but these boys here at Corsa are makin a nice piece!!  Expensive though.  But ya gotta pay to play, I always say.

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #6   Jun 9, 2005 4:13 am
Hope this works.  link to Corsa X 

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashdenali.htm, move your mouse over 1-4 to hear.

This message was modified Jun 9, 2005 by Bill_D
Marshall

Reply #7   Jun 9, 2005 9:11 am
Looks nice Bill. I had a Gibson cat-back system once, it came out in front of the rear tires, they called it super truck exhaust. Since then I've gone to duals with 2 chamber Flowmasters.
whitedog

cry once when you buy it, not every time you use it!

Reply #8   Jun 9, 2005 9:09 pm
if you have ever thought about a duramax diesel pickup,

this empoyee pricing is about $3000 less than  any rebate program GM has run in the last 12 months.

this would be the time to buy.

no haggle! i love no haggle!!

SHAMELESS COMMERCE

i work in the commercial department of a chevy store near NYC.

message me if i can  help you with a truck.

ope: ariens 8524, winco 8kw - b/s vanguard v twin, little giant 5 hp b/s, stihl br-650

the difference between smart and stupid is stupid knows no bounds

AJace

Reply #9   Jun 10, 2005 1:04 am
I like a throaty exhaust @ idle.  Then I was to be able to move without making too much noise.  I also like to make a little boom when I startup.  Along with that sound clip you might want to post up some pics?   
This message was modified Jun 10, 2005 by AJace

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #10   Jun 10, 2005 9:19 am
Whitedog, yes it is a great discoubnt they have going.  I did notice at my dealer that it would not aplly to "medium" duty trucks.  Not sure if the diesel you mentioned falls into that or not.    Also anyone else, if you go to Chevy's official site, you can plug in what truck ya want, w/ what options, it will do a search for you of where you can find it, and at exactly what price it will be after discount.  As Whitedog siad "no hassle/haggle" It is what it is.
Marshall

Reply #11   Jun 10, 2005 9:31 am
I saw where Honda Motor Company is considering raising their prices on US Honda's in order to "try to help out the domestic auto market".
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #12   Jun 10, 2005 11:09 am
Marshall wrote:
I saw where Honda Motor Company is considering raising their prices on US Honda's in order to "try to help out the domestic auto market".

Would Honda consider lowering its Canadian retail prices to help out the Cdn domestic buyer?

It seem they've already been a price leader here to help out the domestic car makers, but people keep buying Hondas anyway.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Marshall

Reply #13   Jun 10, 2005 11:16 am
I think it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're smart enought to realize that Honda owners are going to keep buying Honda's even with a price increase. It helps with their image which is already pretty good and will certainly help with profits.
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #14   Jun 10, 2005 11:41 am
Marshall wrote:
I think it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're smart enought to realize that Honda owners are going to keep buying Honda's even with a price increase. It helps with their image which is already pretty good and will certainly help with profits.

Sadly some of us Honda owners weren't as smart as Honda. Had one, love it. Traded it in for a domestic vehicle which constantly needed repairs. Sold that one and bought a new domestic minivan that consumes parts like a chocoholic does smarties. Maybe I pay more up front for the Honda, but it seems I pay a whole lot less in maintaining it, which more than makes up for the higher price.

I'm not really complaining though, as the Honda service people didn't know me by name, but my Dodge dealer's service and I are on a first name basis. You really can't put a price on friendly social interaction can you? And I've almost got a dedication plaque over one of the services bays that I helped pay for. Just a few more visits oughta do it.  And I will have 20 holes punched on my frequent service users card that qualifies me for free coffee in the waiting area, and use of the easy-boy chair on a priority basis. So why would I buy a Honda again?

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #15   Jun 10, 2005 3:00 pm
Honda makes a good car, but I would never buy one unless they came out w/ a V-8 at least.  I have driven a friends accord w/ V6, yippee.  That new truck they came out w/ that looks like the Avalanche only has a 6, that just does nothing for me.  I know gas is expensive, but I will continue to enjoy the sound of my tires makin a small chirp when i punch it at 40mph.  Hell I can spin my 68 Olds around at 40 mph givin it only 3/4 pedal.   
AJace

Reply #16   Jun 10, 2005 8:59 pm
GM vehicles don't seem to need much repair, they just keep going and going and going.  I have a 90' Silverado that doesn't miss a beat and has almost always started but twice when I really didn't need to go where I was planning on.  Chevy is really like a rock.  Are they still making them this way?

Garandman

Reply #17   Jun 10, 2005 9:16 pm
Bill_D wrote:
Honda makes a good car, but I would never buy one unless they came out w/ a V-8 at least.  I have driven a friends accord w/ V6, yippee.  That new truck they came out w/ that looks like the Avalanche only has a 6, that just does nothing for me.  I know gas is expensive, but I will continue to enjoy the sound of my tires makin a small chirp when i punch it at 40mph.  Hell I can spin my 68 Olds around at 40 mph givin it only 3/4 pedal.   

I have an 05 Accord V6. On a round trip NH - CT, I averaged 30.3 mpg . On one tank I averaged 31.3. This for a car with 240hp  from a V6 that burns regular. It does 0-60 in  less than 7 seconds according to most magazines, and  the quarter mile in less than 16 seconds with trap speeds  of 92-95 mph. That's with the five speed automatic - the manual is faster. It's been named Best Family Sedan and one of the 10 Best by Car & Driver in 19 of the last 23 years. And the best thing - the second exhaust pipe is pretty much hidden behind the rear bumper so if you remove the V6 sticker on the back it looks just like a 4 cyl Accord .  

By surfing the www I was able to find one Oldsmobile that is faster. According to albeedigital.com, a 1969 Olds 442 will do 0-60 in 5.9 and a 13.9 sec quarter mile.

I know what you mean by spinning those old Detroit V8's. I drove my brother's 1965 GTO a lot (when gas was 33.9 and it's a good thing as it got 11-12 mpg) and it would leave rubber if you let your foot off the clutch at idle. It also had drum brakes, bias ply tires, recirculating ball manual steering, and a clutch that  would make a man out of you.  Starting it below freezing usually involved a can of ether and some sprinting back and forth. After driving through a puddle I'd leave my foot on the brake peal for a while to dry out the brakes so I could stop someday.  0-60 5.8, 1/4 in 14.5 @ 100, top speed 114. Putting 3.90 gears in anything sure helps 0-60. At 75mph the GTO was spinning at around 3,500  rpms as I recall. The Honda is turning 2,200.....guess which lasts longer....
This message was modified Jun 10, 2005 by Garandman
Marshall

Reply #18   Jun 10, 2005 10:40 pm
1995 Merc Cougar 0-60 in 5.5 sec. Top speed 146........so far.
115,000 miles + ........like new condition.

I'll get you a better picture someday

Emmo

Reply #19   Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Nice ride!!!!!!

Hey Marshall........Looks like there are 2 guys tarred (hold the feathers) hanging from your tree!
Marshall

Reply #20   Jun 11, 2005 12:07 am
We do that here in Oklahoma now and then Emmo.

Actually it's the Ex and one of her friends, don't really want to stare at her here on the forum.

It had 2 chamber Flowmasters then, now they're 1 chambers. Top speed raised almost 10mph and 55-100 has a marked improvement. Obviously that's not all that's done to it.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #21   Jun 11, 2005 12:21 am
Just saw a commercial that GM is doin all cars at employee cost now to.  Great time to pick up a new car as well if anyones in the market.
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #22   Jun 11, 2005 10:33 am
How in the world did you get a 1995 Merc Cougar  to do 0-60 in 5.5 sec. ????? (Super Charger with a shot of NOS and some slicks should do the trick :-) Even the Thunderbird SC's and Turbo coupes were pigs by todays standards...

My next truck will be the Nissan Titan 5.6L V8, 32 valve, 305@4900!

Try this little comparison...Put in any Titan and then put in a comparable Chevy

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/comparison/select.html;_ylt=AnglEc_actXsiaBDgxoguM9xC8UF?carid0=16621

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

Reply #23   Jun 11, 2005 12:07 pm
Cougar 4.6 OHV V-8. Electronics will makes a huge difference in todays cars and trucks. I'm getting a lot out this engine via an Electronic Control Model from Superchips, opening up the breathing with a Filtercharger system from K&N attached to a Trueflow intake plenum, 75mm throttle body and oversize mass airflow meter. Opening up the exhaust with duals, no catalytic converter and single stage Flows has helped tremendously. A 3.55 Ring and Pinion for the rear end, polished aluminum lightweight 3 SCP piece pulley set and a auxiliary transmission oil cooler. Coil packs from Screamin Demon and billet plug wires. I haven't done anything with the stock injectors though I might oversize them someday, at the same time I'll put on a high flow fuel pump. If I decide to do anything with the transmission at some point, I'll go to a 2300-3400 torque converter and do something with a shift kit. The Superchips ECM  really makes strong precise shifts and does away with all rev limiters and speed limiters, it raps out to 6100 RPM now and to 98MPH in second gear. I get second gear scratch so who knows, may not do a shift kit? Anyway, it's amazing what you can do with bolt on today. These engines have so much capability just waiting to be let go,  they are so detuned it's  funny, well, maybe sad is a better word.

For handling I've added an 1 1/8" rear sway bar and Koni shocks. I left the wheels alone, I like the stock look, I run 245-60-15 tread, quite a bit wider than stock. The factory traction control and independent rear end helps keep spinning to a minimum.

Timing is by hand held stopwatch so it varies by tenths every time I do it. I'm in the ballpark though.
This message was modified Jun 11, 2005 by Marshall
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #24   Jun 11, 2005 12:46 pm
Most impressive Marshall! That ECU must be doing the trick for sure! I am using a Jim Wolf ECU in my Sentra and does make for more fun! (Limiters = YUCK!)

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

AJace

Reply #25   Jun 11, 2005 12:58 pm
Brian, I don't see the Silverado on there. 

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #26   Jun 11, 2005 1:28 pm
It is not...you have to add it. It allows you to compare a couple of trucks at the same time...

Below is a section that you use to select different models. Look for something that says

Choose the secound car

You can choose up to 4 vehicles....

This message was modified Jun 11, 2005 by cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #27   Jun 11, 2005 1:34 pm
I added a Silverado and a Ford F 150 for you... Cut and paste:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/comparison/select.html;_ylt=AltQFKSzRyh1huG1X6W5_IEYc78F?search_type=all&make=fordtruck&model=4010%3Afordtruck_f150supercrew4x4_2005&trim=15286&carid0=16621&carid1=15575

Next click the orange tab that says compare. Then at the bottom of that page you can compare features, specs, etc...

Basiacally the GM is outdated and the Ford is heavy!

This message was modified Jun 11, 2005 by cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #28   Jun 11, 2005 1:48 pm
See what Car And Driver had to say...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7692&page_number=7

Brian Chang

AJace

Reply #29   Jun 11, 2005 3:15 pm
Those Titans really are nice trucks.  I like to have 3/4 to a ton for towing and hauling.  I recently heard that my local Chevy is offering this employee discount on every vehicle on the lot, with the extra low financing, which could still be 0%. 
Marshall, it's always nice to have a stock looking car and then suprise them on the road.  I know the supercharged Riviera's are fast. 

AJace

Reply #30   Jun 11, 2005 3:23 pm
That sure is an interesting pic of the Ford F-150.  The inside of the Silverado looks just right for me.

Marshall

Reply #31   Jun 11, 2005 6:05 pm
Brian, thanks. I've enjoyed messing with it over the years, makes for a little fun to the 40's. LOL

AJace, yea, I've been tossing with the idea of a blower, pretty much bolt on today but expensive.

As far as the trucks go, I like them all! Each has their strong suit. The Titan sure has a strong engine!
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #32   Jun 12, 2005 1:37 am
Garandman wrote:

By surfing the www I was able to find one Oldsmobile that is faster. According to albeedigital.com, a 1969 Olds 442 will do 0-60 in 5.9 and a 13.9 sec quarter mile.

I have a 68' Hurst/Olds 442.  454 rocket.  Same as the 69 442 you spoke of.    1 of 500, it's my safest investment I own.   
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #33   Jun 13, 2005 3:55 am
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:
How in the world did you get a 1995 Merc Cougar  to do 0-60 in 5.5 sec. ????? (Super Charger with a shot of NOS and some slicks should do the trick :-) Even the Thunderbird SC's and Turbo coupes were pigs by todays standards...

My next truck will be the Nissan Titan 5.6L V8, 32 valve, 305@4900!

Try this little comparison...Put in any Titan and then put in a comparable Chevy

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/comparison/select.html;_ylt=AnglEc_actXsiaBDgxoguM9xC8UF?carid0=16621

Why not get the 8.1L Chevy Big Block in the 2500.  Compare that bad boy to the Titan, LOL!!! 
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #34   Jun 13, 2005 8:30 am
Bill_D wrote:
Why not get the 8.1L Chevy Big Block in the 2500.  Compare that bad boy to the Titan, LOL!!! 

Yes but....that is a different truck made for a different purpuse...and priced accordingly Just wouldn't be a fair comparison. However Nissan is planning to go into the Heavy Duty market....Big diesel too! Look out big 3....

Brian Chang

AJace

Reply #35   Jun 13, 2005 10:24 pm
OOO, I'm looking forward to that. 

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #36   Jun 17, 2005 11:19 pm
Man all the manufactureers are doin this now.    Great time to buy whatever ya wanna drive rite now.  Just saw Saab and Volvo doinb the employee pricing.  Dint think Saab was stilll in business anymore.  Anyways, happy motoring whatever ya drive.
Emmo

Reply #37   Jun 17, 2005 11:53 pm
Bill_D wrote:
Man all the manufactureers are doin this now.    Great time to buy whatever ya wanna drive rite now.  Just saw Saab and Volvo doinb the employee pricing.  Dint think Saab was stilll in business anymore.  Anyways, happy motoring whatever ya drive.

Yep, Saab is hooked up with GM, just as Volvo is Ford's Sweedish partner.
navihawk

Reply #38   Jun 25, 2005 10:08 pm
I just bought a Silverado Z71 extended cab in black of course.Got the GM employee price.I picked it up for $26,366.00 .Looked at Rams but I have always owned Chevy's so I couldn't veer away.The price was right too.I read that car and driver thing.I can't believe they feel that way.I love this truck.It has the small 8, 4.8 liter.289 ci?Plenty of power for me.How muck 1/4 mile speed does anyone need in a pickup anyways?It has the power to pull my trailer,and then some if i upgrade in a few years.Can't beat the Bose sound system either.In my opinion its neck and neck with looks with the Ram as far as style.They're all nice when they are new.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #39   Jun 25, 2005 10:14 pm
That's a steal Navihawk.  That engine is the Vortec 4800 @ 285 HP.  Plenty of giddy up.  Glad to hear ya got the Bose package, and of course BLACK.  Really, is there any other color??  My wife has the Z71 Tahoe in that metalic blue which is o.k., but i always tell her it's a black wanna be.  Enjoy your truck man!!!
  •  
  • Marshall

Reply #40   Jun 25, 2005 10:59 pm
    Nav, congrats buddy, nice ride! Hell, that truck has more HP with the small engine than the 350 did a few years ago.
    robmints

Reply #41   Jun 25, 2005 11:25 pm
    navihawk wrote:
    I just bought a Silverado Z71 extended cab in black of course.Got the GM employee price.I picked it up for $26,366.00 .Looked at Rams but I have always owned Chevy's so I couldn't veer away.The price was right too.I read that car and driver thing.I can't believe they feel that way.I love this truck.It has the small 8, 4.8 liter.289 ci?Plenty of power for me.How muck 1/4 mile speed does anyone need in a pickup anyways?It has the power to pull my trailer,and then some if i upgrade in a few years.Can't beat the Bose sound system either.In my opinion its neck and neck with looks with the Ram as far as style.They're all nice when they are new.

Nice, Hawk. I'm one that thinks like you, stick with what you like. I like Fords, but wouldn't even try to convince a Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota guy to look at a Ford. OK, maybe I would, but not real hard.

Your truck sounds great. Can't beat the deal.
    AJace

Reply #42   Jun 26, 2005 2:45 pm
    I like the inside of the new Silverados, but they just can't seem to convince me on the exterior.  I liked the style from 00 to 02.  Real nice sweet truck.   

Marshall

Reply #43   Jun 26, 2005 8:14 pm
    AJace wrote:
    I like the inside of the new Silverados, but they just can't seem to convince me on the exterior.  I liked the style from 00 to 02.  Real nice sweet truck.   

They could have a better job the front end huh?
    navihawk

Reply #44   Jun 26, 2005 8:35 pm
    I like the front end now.I didn't used to.It grows on you.I just took off the dealers little plastic stick on.Used dental floss to get it off.Then I am on my way to my brother in laws for a cook out and drivind up 495 and a rock pings the windshield puttin a small spider crack in it dead center.What luck.I bought that harley a few months ago,and ended up spilling it because some guy slammed his brakes on in front of me.I locked em up and dumped it breaking my collar bone and some ribs.Needless to say my wife and daughter want me to sell the bike....Hence the new truck.Bike?I don't need no stinkin bike.
    This message was modified Jun 26, 2005 by navihawk
    robmints

Reply #45   Jun 26, 2005 8:49 pm
    Steve,
    Sorry to hear about your spill. Hope you saved the pain meds for when you feel better.
    Marshall

Reply #46   Jun 26, 2005 8:53 pm
    Steve, could have been worse.

Hell, you came out of it with new truck!
    AJace

Reply #47   Jun 27, 2005 1:38 pm
    At least you can still enjoy these nice things like you used to.  I think learning from mistakes sometimes makes us stronger.   That truck will look better without that stuff on it.  Great tip!! 

Garandman

Reply #48   Jun 27, 2005 8:50 pm
    navihawk wrote:
    .I bought that harley a few months ago,and ended up spilling it because some guy slammed his brakes on in front of me.I locked em up and dumped it breaking my collar bone and some ribs.Needless to say my wife and daughter want me to sell the bike....Hence the new truck.Bike?I don't need no stinkin bike.

When I got my first  bike a friend told me, "Ride like you're invisible."

I modified that to "Ride like you're visible and every car and truck on the road is a drunk psychopath trying to kill you." 

As they say, there are old bikies, and bold bikies, but no old, bold bikies. 
    Replies: 1 - 48 of 48View as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42