Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for a mower 36" and under

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mows2much

Looking for a mower 36" and under
Original Message   Apr 24, 2005 2:09 pm
I have a few accounts this year that are going to require me to enter through a gate   I have been looking at the exmark metro with a fixed deck and gear drive.  I am not sure if I want to spend the money on a machine that is this small.  I would rather have a  metro hp with the floating deck and hydro in a 48" or 52".  I am takeing these lawns over from a friend getting out of mowing.  He says that I should be able to pick up another 10-15 accounts once the people see me mowing.  He said that people were always asking if he could do there lawns also.  I don't want to get something that I will have to upgrade if I do end up with 15-20 accounts that require a 36" or smaller deck.  I want to buy from a local dealer.  The local dealers that I know of carry Exmark, Scag, Toro, Ariens, JD and Husky.  Where should I start?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
mows2much

Re: Looking for a mower 36" and under
Reply #1   Apr 24, 2005 2:41 pm
Thats the plan,search and read.  Thats how I found this place.  It's not that what I can afford but what will get the job done.  I dont plan on this being my main mower so I cant see spending extra money if its not needed.  If it takes $3,000 to get what will work best then thats what I will spend.  BUT..... if $1,500 is all I need to spend then thats $1,500 to spend on something else.  I want to do things right......buy once and get many mowings out of it.  I don't want to get something that I will need to sell to upgrade later.  Keeping this in mind like I said earlier I don't plan on this being my main mower, just one to do gated lawns.  Don't take what I am saying the wrong way.....I am glad that you took the time to tell me what you think.  
robmints

Reply #2   Apr 24, 2005 3:06 pm
Can you buy your friend's machine?

Do you need to mow in the rain or wet?

Are the lawns mostly flat, any real hills?

In general, how big are the lawns?

Did you look at the Bradley?

Do you already have a sulky?

Do you have a preference in brand?

You might not be too late to find something used, here in Maryland, you are too late.

Would you consider used?
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #3   Apr 24, 2005 3:43 pm
Hey, I have 16 yards I do on the side. I use a 48 inch metro belt drive with a velky, I also have a bradley 36 inch I bought used for 500.00. I started out with only 4 yards and that is when I bought that metro. The only thing i regret is it is a fixed deck as far as belt driven i don't have a single complaint. I start mowing at 7:00 on saturdays the grass is nice a wet and I have never had it slip one time honest! As for that Bradley mine is a old one, I think It's a great bang for the buck. The only diffrence I see in them now is I don't think you can get a Kawasaki on them mine has a 14hp kaw on it. I also if you have a dealer close that sells Lesco,  my buddy was looking at a 36 hydro and by his research he told me you can get a 36 hydro from them new for 3200.00 . I've also been looking into a new mower, i'm thinking about going with a Wright Stander 61 inch, I dunno if you have ever looked into them,they are very quick. I probably did'nt help you none but thats my input on it.      later Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #4   Apr 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Hi m2m...

I agree... buy once... buy right... when getting started... I'd prefer a 48" hydro-drive commercial mower at least... for speed... but... do what fits best for U ! 

Well... how much lawn in those gate-constricted yards ??? Little ? A-lot ? Worth it ?

Will a cheap 21" inch push mower do it without toooo much time ? Why do you think these jobs are being "given" away ? Start where you can... with what you can justify...

Mowing $$$ net income= time spent on the job and equipment and overhead... don't overbuy for a few "tough" jobs...

...There may likely be another way into these yards with a wider mower... the mower you can really justify... Look and be inventive !... How about ramps (that you can use elsewhere) over the gate ... ?  Helicopeter ? hoist? two strong guys lifting ? Wider or no gate ? Tunnel ? Thru a neighbor's yard ?  From China ? LOL...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #5   Apr 24, 2005 5:54 pm
Yup, that would be me I must say I am VERY VERY happy with this Bradley machine!!! After a few adjustments to make it fit my hands better, and a little practice, you can have GREAT cuts!!!

Price was $1550 with tax and delivery!

This is a shot from today  4/24/05

And this is the machine that did it!!!!

And the other side...

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Apr 24, 2005 5:57 pm
Real nice Brian.  

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jubol

Reply #7   Apr 24, 2005 6:01 pm
 Brian,

Great lawn, wished mine looked like that!

Fred    

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #8   Apr 24, 2005 8:14 pm
Man Brain wish mine cut like that still probably did when it was new i guess. Looks great!

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Apr 24, 2005 10:41 pm
Boy, I can't add to anything here. But I will say welcome to the forum! 
trevino

it's for sell
Reply #10   Apr 9, 2007 11:00 pm
i have a wright stander 32" which happens to be the perfect size for any project. this mower is reliable and powerfull with it's 15 kawasaki engine. this mower has only 90 hours of operation. i bought the mower less than a year ago to use in my landscaping business, but no long has use for the machine. i no longer do maintanence. i paid $4700 for the mower, and i'm asking $3900. call and lets make a deal.

tony

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42