Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda GX200 Clone engines?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Honda GX200 Clone engines?
Original Message   Apr 10, 2005 7:42 am
I was surprised to see that there are several different clones (presumably Chines) of the Honda GX200. Oddly, some seem to sell for about the same price as price as a replacement Honda, although others are much less - about half. The various folks selling them claim parts are interchangable with the Honda.

Are these any good? I don' think "You get what you pay or" has been suspended, but  China does have very low labor rates and we are talking small engines, not satellites. The one owner I talked to bought one for a generator - $160 delivered - and he said it started on the second pull and seems to perform fine. 
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Outline
skyking3

Re: Honda GX200 Clone engines?
Reply #1   Apr 10, 2005 12:07 pm
while visiting the neighbors, he showed me a generator that he purchased....................

no stickers anywhere on the engine....................

he says the guy selling them said it was a 13 hp honda......................

dont know what it really is but its really quiet and starts on the first pull......................

might be clones out there............wouldnt be the first time...........

bill

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #2   Apr 10, 2005 12:56 pm
I see on the Honda Canada website they have a small notice about counterfeit products. The engines look identical with the same paint scheme, but without the logo or stickers, which I'm sure would result in a SWAT team of lawyers armed to the teeth with lawsuits parachute on them so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

I don't know how a knock-off can be the same as the original unless they can get the identical parts from where Honda gets or manufactures them. You can get a lot of parts that are similiar, but doesn't mean they meet the original design specifications of the maker.

Why are they doing this? Obviously to cash in on the Honda reputation and make money. People think as it looks the same it is likely the same, but just isn't branded. But try to take it back to a Honda dealer for warranty work and watch him ROFL his AO.

It would be interesting to endurance run those engines to see how they do.

China doesn't have much in the way of copyright or consumer protections laws, I presume.

Anyone want to buy a Rolex watch at a fraction of the cost, but with a slight imperfection in spelling: "Rollhex" Those typos save you a lot of money.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Apr 10, 2005 1:16 pm
Maybe they're a Hondo Highwind. LOL
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #4   Apr 10, 2005 2:18 pm
Marshall wrote:
Maybe they're a Hondo Highwind. LOL

LOL Marshall,

Or "Hondha", "Hawnda", or the Vietnamese version "HoChiMinhda" .

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

skyking3

Reply #5   Apr 10, 2005 2:59 pm
i went down to check it out after reading this post ...........

it says Kenowa tools on the tank and theres a small sticker on the recoil housing that says GS188 OHV...........

this generator runs great also has key start.........................

when i asked him what it cost he said it was marked down from $999 to $750.................

he waited till they were packing up and got it for $700................

hope its worth it........

bill

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #6   Apr 10, 2005 3:07 pm
Here in our area they are called Lifan engines.  We sell them.  Sure enough all the parts are interchangable.  The starnge thing is we are a dealer for these and the Honda.

If Honda really and truly has no part in these engines, how come we get parts labeled made in China?  Having said that, a coil that retails over a $100 Canadian for a Honda, retails at $15 Canadian for a Lifan.

It does seem rather odd.  Some have said it was Hondas way of getting into the cheaper bracket, some have said that some company has bought the old molds from Honda.  Either way the knock offs are selling here for half or less then what a Honda does.

The generators here aren't "legal" because of safety reasons, so that maybe a good thing to check out in your area as well.  They have not safety badging on them.  Here they come in a variety of colors, red, orange, black, you get the point.

They run as well as the Honda, but as of yet they don't have any emission standards.

That's about what I know of them off the top of my head.

Sherri

Garandman

Reply #7   Apr 10, 2005 6:26 pm
Highwind wrote:
I see on the Honda Canada website they have a small notice about counterfeit products. The engines look identical with the same paint scheme, but without the logo or stickers, which I'm sure would result in a SWAT team of lawyers armed to the teeth with lawsuits parachute on them so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

I don't know how a knock-off can be the same as the original unless they can get the identical parts from where Honda gets or manufactures them. You can get a lot of parts that are similiar, but doesn't mean they meet the original design specifications of the maker.

Why are they doing this? Obviously to cash in on the Honda reputation and make money. People think as it looks the same it is likely the same, but just isn't branded. But try to take it back to a Honda dealer for warranty work and watch him ROFL his AO.

It is very unlikely that you are using an IBM PC? I worked for an American company that cloned the IBM "Winchester" hard drive and later tried to reverse engineer a Savin copier (which was made by Ricoh). Any area that had patent protection was designed around  so they weren't infringed upon. AMD makes chips compatible with the Intel instruction set but without using  the Intel design.

I'm not sure how much, if any, of a Honda GX200 is patented or otherwise protected by intillectual property rights. If there aren't any, and they don't claim it to be a Honda, they're probably free and clear.

Reverse-engneering of parts is relatively straightforwrd. The parts are put into an X-Y-Z coordinate measuring machine and the critical dimensions captured. Then 3D CAD models are constructed and prototypes are made and tested. Once everything works, production can begin. It is very common for manufacturers to design in extra features with no purpose just to determine if a product has been cloned.

I was curious because the GX200 seems to have as much as 3 ft lbs of torque more than  other  mid-frame engines. But t's for a snowblower application, and no no seems to have a handle on  what needs to be done to a GX200 for such use.
robmints

Reply #8   Apr 10, 2005 7:15 pm
A box of the same parts are not an engine.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm
And the parts being designed the same on CAD don't necessarily have the same properties of material.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #10   Apr 10, 2005 9:35 pm
I'm curious, are these  clone engines as quiet running as a Honda?  If so, that would be enough for me to try one out if I needed to replace a Tecumseh engine on a piece of power equipment.

Richie
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #11   Apr 11, 2005 5:36 am
These engines are as quiet.  The boss has had one on his woodsplitter since last year.  No big deal, but we rent it out.  I've figured out that it has probably has split 500 - 700 cord of wood.  Everyone that has used it has said that they can't tell the difference other then the decal.

In the cold weather it would start on the first pull, were as the brand new Honda needed some coaxing.

I've seen them both tore sown to nothing a bench beside each other.  Took internals and placed them in both engines.  Fits are as good as any.

Sherri

Garandman

Reply #12   Apr 11, 2005 5:40 am
 Material properties could be worse, or better. And the manufacturing toleances could be worse, or better. As the Japanese have very good in-process quality control, one could assume the clones are worse. The Chinese have also cloned a wide variety of U.S. firearms, from  old Winchester pump shotguns to the civilian version of the M14. In general, the steel used was pretty good, but some of the internal tolerances weren't optimal. But making small engines is easier than forged firearm receivers and there's a bigger market.....

Ironically,  Honda soesn't seem to have an electric start 6.5 hp, but you can buy a clone with one.

Looked on eBay and some are selling for $130 plus shipping.
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #13   Apr 11, 2005 3:55 pm
Check this out everybody! Hongda!!! LOL!!!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-06/03/content_336280.htm

Lifan is BIG when it comes to the small .49CC to the 110CC pocket bikes.!!! They sell like crazy and for cheap!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Emmo

Reply #14   Apr 11, 2005 4:06 pm
Highwind wrote:
LOL Marshall,

Or "Hondha", "Hawnda", or the Vietnamese version "HoChiMinhda" .

Pretty good guess Highwind,

according to the article:

"Last year, the Beijing No 2 Intermediate People's Court heard a case filed by Honda against Lifan. In that case, Honda said Lifan used "Hongda" on its products, which Honda claims is very similar to Honda. The case is still pending."
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #15   Apr 11, 2005 8:05 pm
There is also a model called trumaxxs on e-bay  which is a clone not 1but 40 or 50  of them  cheap .

OTLBuilder

Reply #16   Aug 28, 2006 1:31 pm
I am looking for parts to one of the 6.5 hp lifan engines and cannot find anyone in my area who can help me out. Anybody know where I can get a new head and valve for one?

Tim

Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42