Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gilson snowblower question.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

Gilson snowblower question.
Original Message   Apr 6, 2005 10:09 am
I was at my friends house last night and he showed me a  snowblower a relative gave him for free !    It is a Gilson  5 hp 24" cut   two stage.  It is in very good condition (no rust,good paint etc. )    .  He said it starts up and runs OK   but may need a tune up.   the only problem is the wheels.   they are some kind of hard rubber.  the tire is not cracked or split but the treads or lugs or what ever they are called  are completey  worn off from use !    My friend said he tried the machine in our last spring storm and it worked OK  but he could get traction  on the smooth tires.  

I forgot to get the model number or serial number   but I will get it tonight.      The wheels lokked like they are held on with one bolt through the center??.

I think I recall that Gilson was a premium brand   at least the machine looks well built.     

But what can he do about the wheels?      My first thought was to see if we could get a set of chains to fit?    but I think a new set of wheels would be better.  

who  has got some ideas?

thanks

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 3 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Re: Gilson snowblower question.
Reply #3   Apr 6, 2005 8:15 pm
If you did't find your exact answer yet, here it is:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowfaq.html#tires

That model doesn't exactly count as one of Gilsons finest efforts but it was a good value for the $$. Be sure that the worm gear for the auger dirive is also good. That and the tires are the weak links.

Pete

jgreen

Reply #4   Apr 7, 2005 9:24 am
Hi Gilson,

Great web site you have !     My friend still hasnt  emailed  me the serial numbers  but  it looks like the  70s intermediate model  pictured on you site.    

could you explain ,what is the worm gear?      thanks

As far as the tires  I read on your site they  are a problem        ,    I followed the link on you web site to that tire supply  place.     I see under the solid rubber heading ,what looks like an exact match  (at least visually)   .    to the ones on  the blower.       so that may be something to look at  ????      

my other thought was chains.    the tires seem solid it just the lugs are gone from wear !        any thoughts on   this?

I think we are done with snow here in MA   so I will help him  get it ready for storage .   then we can address the tires in the next few months.

He is also storing a 1978  Bolens   that a friend gave me .    I plan on restoring that one if it is not shot !   . It hasnt  been run in years and he told me thre impeller bearing is gone, tiresare flat, recoil rope wont return  ........ !     

With help from this group I got my free hand me down  1980 yardman   running  very well.      I just hope all you snowblower guys/gals  dont dissapear in the summer. I know I am going to need some help with this bolens !

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
18Degrees

Reply #5   Apr 7, 2005 6:02 pm
jgreen wrote:
      I just hope all you snowblower guys/gals  dont dissapear in the summer. I know I am going to need some help with this bolens !

some of  us snowblower folk check in on cooler days in the summer.        (I have seen it snow in June - in Yellowstone Nat. Park )                                        18 degrees
This message was modified Apr 7, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Apr 7, 2005 10:20 pm
18Degrees wrote:
some of  us snowblower folk check in on cooler days in the summer.        (I have seen it snow in June - in Yellowstone Nat. Park )                                        18 degrees
Been there done that myself 18D. 

Matter of fact it was Beartooth pass. Beautiful!
18Degrees

Reply #7   Apr 8, 2005 4:34 pm
At Yellowstone the Park Ranger drove around and announced on his truck's P.A. ----"relax folks, the mountian passes are closed-no one is going anywhere.  Relax and enjoy the park."

in two days the 6" of wet heavy stuff was gone.                                                   18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Garandman

Reply #8   Apr 9, 2005 12:55 pm
jgreen wrote:
... I just hope all you snowblower guys/gals  dont dissapear in the summer. I know I am going to need some help with this bolens !

I 've taken down our old Ariens to start refurbishing: it's a lot easier to do when the temp is in the 60's and it's daylight than when you're going to have to use it the next day.....
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #9   Apr 10, 2005 2:03 pm
I am around all year round though I don't know how much help I would be.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 3 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42