Search For:
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

For Parents
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 6:26 am
I thought this was pretty neat....and a good reminder when the kids are driving you a little crazy...

http://www.cryofthespirit.com/itsworthitall.html

Enjoy!

Paula

Replies: 1 - 18 of 18View as Outline
skyking3

Re: For Parents
Reply #1   Jan 28, 2005 8:12 am
doggone it.............

you were ( ll )that close to making me cry........................

somedays i wonder why i do it all for 5 kids , but then i walk down the hall with the baby pics hanging there and i then know why......................

thank you very much for the reminder,

bill

Emmo

Reply #2   Jan 28, 2005 9:30 am
Thanks Paula!!

Got my day of to a great start!
Paula

Reply #3   Jan 28, 2005 8:42 pm
Emmo

You're welcome!  Figured we parents need that once in a while....for those moments when you feel like you want to throttle them.......and then they turn around and do something so sweet, you wondered how you ever got mad at them in the first place. 

I think they are born with that skill.... knowing just how far they can push without sending you over the edge...

Does your daughter get to use the snowblower with Dad like the garden tractor?

Bill

Five!  Wow!  I would imagine your house has to be a little chaotic now and then. .  But, I bet you can't imagine life without any single one of them.    What are their ages? 

Paula

Emmo

Reply #4   Jan 29, 2005 1:04 am
Paula wrote:

Does your daughter get to use the snowblower with Dad like the garden tractor?

My oldest, who is autistic, doesn't like the noise but sometimes will watch from the window.  The youngest, (in the picture) loves to watch, but being only 5, I'll think she'll have to wait a few years to participate.  She does love to see how high and far I can make it fly!
Paula

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2005 9:35 am
Emmo

Does you show off for your girls by seeing how far your can make the snow fly?

I'm sorry Emmo.  My older daughter has a few special needs though I'm sure not as challenging as autism can be to deal with from what I understand.  She's lucky to have you as a dad, I have no doubt. 

Paula

skyking3

Reply #6   Jan 29, 2005 4:00 pm
hey paula,

it gets hectic quite often.......................theres 3 boys and 2 girls..........

oldest is 16 , next is 14, then 12 , 11, and my youngest is 5 goin' on 6 in may...................

between racing , ball sports and working 3rd shift , its hard to find time for almost anything else..................but i wouldnt have it any other way............

thanks for asking,

bill

Paula

Reply #7   Jan 29, 2005 7:07 pm
Bill

Were those your activities or your kids' activities (besides the third shift job, of course...)..

A sure fire to avoid getting old....not staying still long enough for age to catch up to you.  I figure I have plenty of time to sit still when I am dead. 

What do you race?  I have a brother who races modified Toyotas but used to race MGs. 

Paula

skyking3

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2005 9:07 am
hi paula,

you're so right 'bout not sittin' still..........

the sports and racing are all for the kids and believe me their schedules are hard to keep track of.........

as of right now my oldest races a Slingshot ...............i posted the website in my profile but it doesn't seem to show up.............

http://www.berkracing.zoomshare.com/.........http://www.slingshotbytobias.com/.................

2 of my kids arent from me , but they might as well be ....................their s.o.b. "real" dad committed suicide 2 years ago............

luckily we were close by then..................

well ...........back to the wrestling match...............its 4 on 1, i'll let you guess on who they ganged up on...............

have a great day,

bill

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #9   Jan 30, 2005 4:59 pm
Paula,

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately the kids didn't let me see it all the way through yet, but what I did see was really nice.

Walt

Paula

Reply #10   Jan 30, 2005 5:40 pm
Walt

&$%!@&*#    kids........LOL. 

When they are sleeping like little angels in their beds....sweetly silent with no arguments or bickering to be heard from them.......you'll have a chance to watch it and appreciate what miracles they are...until they wake up the next morning and it starts all over again....LOL

Paula

Walt

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2005 5:03 am
Paula,

You DO have kids! I have one "Special needs"  (great fun but lots of work), and one "Special Monster" (great fun but lots of work)

I look forward to your "movie" (everytime I get to the "real theater" it's dark and I fall asleep......Ahhhhhh....Sleeeeeeep!) 

Hey, yeh it costs me $7.50 but a full feature can give me up to 3 hours of sleep!!!     The theater says I can't bring in food or drink, but they don't say anything about a pillow and blanket!   Ahhh...I see a Double Feature!

Again,  Many thanks,

Walt

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Walt
Emmo

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2005 8:22 am
To Paula, Walt and anyone else to whom this may apply,

As parents of "Special" children, I think we have a special mission in life.  It obviously isn't an easy task but I hope you, as have I, realize that it also has its own special rewards.  Once my dtr. came along, I saw life a whole lot differently. You are forced to see things thru the childs eye and realize that our whole reason for being on this planet isn't what we thought it was.

I know the things that I used to hold important, really aren't so important anymore.  It changes EVERYTHING.  Careers, relationships, hobbies, residency, daily schedules etc can all get changed. (All of these things have changed in our house).

Would I make my dtr. "normal" if I could?, of course.  Since that isn't possible, would I "trade" my dtr. in? not a chance!

It takes "special" parents to raise "special" children and I guess that old phrase (that I'm sure you have heard more times than you care to guess) that "God doesn't give you anything that you can't handle" is especially true in this case.

God bless you all who were honored with one of these "gifts".
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #13   Feb 1, 2005 9:38 am
Walt and Emmo, it's obvious you all are very special parents, cheers to you! 
Paula

Reply #14   Feb 1, 2005 4:24 pm
Walt

OMG!  I thought I was the only one who slept through the movies!  I admit its not the REM sleep that the doctors recommend, more of a light doze with lots of head falling off my hand , but, hey, when you've been running on only a few hours a night, it feels pretty darned good!  I don't do as much of it anymore as things have settled down a bit but I had to laugh when I read your post! 

Paula

Paula

Reply #15   Feb 1, 2005 4:30 pm
Emmo

You have a beautiful attitude. 

I have wished for my daughter's sake many times that she didn't struggle with what she struggles with....because it doesn't make life any easier for her.  However, I also try to look at it that it is preparing her for life which certainly isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination...and if she gains strength and compassion now, that will only grow. 

Thanks so much for your post......I'll be coming back to it when I struggle with frustration and sadness.   

Paula

Walt

Reply #16   Feb 1, 2005 11:58 pm
Paula, Emmo and Marshall,

Thank you all.  I have been hammered with work today, but wanted to let you know that I read the posts and agree with and thank you for your posts so you didn't think I was ignoring you....

It is definately a different "club" we are in; however I can't see wanting it different either.  Emmo was on the money with that one.  I want to write more soon.  My days start at 4:00 AM and I still need to drive home so I will wait.  (I have a good story too, little humor, lot of reality but good. It's about my minister )

I too would like to see the world through my sons eyes for a day as well.  What a day that would be.  Unfortunately I can only wish I was him.

Paula, I remember going to the movie "Out of Africa" about 20 years ago...that was a good long one!

Good night,

Walt

Paula

Reply #17   Feb 2, 2005 10:30 pm
Walt & Emmo

I love my daughter just as she is....it is just painful at times to watch her struggle and not be able to change that for her.  We are the parents and we should be able to fix those things and its tough when we can't.  Our own little growing up to do, I guess.

Paula

mrmom

Reply #18   Feb 4, 2005 1:58 pm
Kid + kid + kid = no sleep, no life, no time. 6, 4 and 1 1/2.

Can't even remember the last time I went to a movie.

Operating OPE is my therapy.  Just had to go out and use the snowblower on a measely two inches of wet snow this morning. Boy did that feel good.

Replies: 1 - 18 of 18View as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42