Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Rainbow D4 or SRX?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Rainbow D4 or SRX?
Original Message   Apr 27, 2022 3:25 pm
Is the new SRX Rainbow worth the $? Or should I get my Rainbow D4 serviced? Or buy a E2 Onyx from eBay? My D4 needs new bearings (squeals when turned off) & a new ON/OFF switch & the PN needs a new pivot arm (currently held w/tape) & I need a new electrified hose (the electrified hose split @ machine end coupling) (which is getting harder 2 find) Seems like most D4 parts R being discontinued? If I can't do any of the above should I buy a Quantum or Sirena? If only I could buy a E2 Onyx 4 <$1000? The SRX costs $3K; but IDK about Quantum or Sirena prices? My Aerus Classic is aggravating my allergies
This message was modified Apr 27, 2022 by hooverman
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
CountVacula

Re: Rainbow D4 or SRX?
Reply #1   Apr 27, 2022 4:40 pm
Forty years ago when vacuums had for all intents and purposes no filtration beyond the thin and very porous paper bag and maybe a sixteenth inch of open cell foam over the motor inlet, or they had a soft cloth bag to shake out, Rainbow might have had a legitimate claim to superior filtration. But today even a Rainbow has to have a pleated HEPA filter to meet the HEPA standard. Water alone won't do it. Any modern vacuum with a HEPA exhaust filter provides the same level of filtration as a Rainbow or other similar water vacuums without all the mess of dumping out and cleaning the basin after each use, or the corrosion and calcium build up you find on the motors of Rainbow or similar water vacuums. If you absolutely have to spend a pile of money on a vacuum buy a modern bagged canister from a reputable company. I have a Kenmore Elite I have been using the last ten years. I always use the Kenmore branded Style Q HEPA rated synthetic microfiber dust bag and the bag chamber is as clean inside as the day I bought it. I keep a two stage CF-1 pre-motor filter over the motor inlet and the exhaust side before the pleated HEPA filter is still spotless. No residue at all. I cannot see how a Rainbow could be cleaner than that. A Miele with the activated charcoal exhaust filter will be odor free, but the big Kenny has charcoal on it's exhaust filter and it never smells either. Save yourself a lot of money and aggravation and try a good quality bagged canister instead.
hooverman

Re: Rainbow D4 or SRX?
Reply #2   May 10, 2022 9:48 pm
I decided 2 buy a E2 Onyx from eBay; but it was just the main unit only. It was very dirty & the HEPA filter will need replaced All I need 2 do is but the 2 Qt & 4 Qt water basins & hose; I will use the D4 tools & hose 4 now until I have enough $ 2 buy the 'period correct' tools 4 the Onyx As for the D4 I may have someone repair it when finances improve & if I can find the necessary parts
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42