Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Mom is driving me crazy about her vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
redliner

Mom is driving me crazy about her vacuum
Original Message   Aug 7, 2017 3:00 pm
New here and I hope you can get my sanity back.lol My mother has owned an Electrolux Sr6500 for I don't know how long. Prior to that she had another electrolux. She swears by them and I can't blame her because both units have lasted. Two weeks ago her unit had a short or something and fried the outlet and actually burnt one of the power cable prongs right off. Luckly she caught it and pulled it out without a fire starting. Not quite sure yet if it was the vacuum or the outlet. Assuming that the vacuum is still fine and all it needs is a new power cord should I fix this unit? She loves the features of the nit and also does not want to spend money on a new unit if she does not have to. I'm just not sure if it's 1. safe, 2. working the way it should (she thinks it was), 3. should I just look into a new unit for her and what would you recommend? FYI most of the house is hardwood floors, with one room that has a berber (soory not sure of spelling) style carpet and two area rugs. Also she has a bad shoulder so any new unit recommendation should take weight and maneuverability into consideration. She love the power nozzle for cleaning the sofa and other items in the home. She is a "clean freak" and takes very good care of her things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you fo ryour time!!!
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CountVacula

Re: Mom is driving me crazy about her vacuum
Reply #2   Oct 2, 2020 2:59 pm
Fix the Electrolux. Modern Hoovers are junk. Electrolux USA had an owner change in 1998 and is now known as Aerus Lux. It's a long story how there came to be separate American and Swedish companies sharing the Electrolux name but today only the Swedish company owns that name. What your mom knew and loved as Electrolux USA is not called Aerus Lux. The SR6500 is still being made but today is called the Aerus Lux Legacy. Find your nearest Aerus dealer or a local vacuum shop that has experience servicing Electrolux and Aerus Lux vacuums. Parts are available for reasonable prices. I would say fix it yourself as these are among the easiest vacuums made to disassemble and repair but unless you have taken a vacuum apart before AND know how to troubleshoot a short somewhere in a vacuum's wiring I'd advise letting a pro do the work. Swapping the power cord on your vacuum is very easy to do but I would want to know what caused the short so you don't have a repeat and burn a new cord. Have an electrician check your wall outlet before using it again too. Have the vac shop check for shorts that may have caused the cord to arc. Yeah you could probably buy the Hoover for less than the cost of repairing the Electrolux, but I will bet a new Hoover would be ready for the dumpster many years before your repaired Electrolux will ever need to be repaired again. Price a new one for grins. They are worth fixing and are made to make repairs easy.
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42