Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
shanel92

Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Original Message   Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm
Ive have been researching vacuums the past couple weeks or so. I came across this AMA (Reddit) where the gentleman REALLY suggested Miele canisters for carpet AND bare floor. The apartment I live in now has mostly carpets, but eventually I will be moving into a house. I like carpet, but my girlfriend likes hardwood flooring more. You can probably guess what our next house will have :(. So, I need something that is great on carpets and barefloors (our lease isnt up for 16mo, and just in case the next house does have more carpet than wood flooring.) Two weeks ago, I was absolutely set on some sort of Miele S8 (I was sure I needed the 12 billion step filtration system). Last week I was set on the Sebo D4 (Better warranty, cheaper consumables). Now I am looking at the Riccar Brilliance models. I saw that they have two motors in them; one for floors and one for tools, basically. Since the Riccar doesnt need to compromise suction powered between tools and floors (Bypass vs Direct), wouldnt it be possible to hook a turbo brush up to to hose and just use it as a canister (getting under furniture, cleaning couches, vacuuming hardwood, etc)? I saw some youtube videos of the Riccar vs a Dyson. It highlighted how much agitation the Riccar had vs how little the Dyson has. Ive been reading, and the general consensus is that Agitation + Air flow = cleanest carpets. I have yet to see a video that shows any canister that shakes the floor as much as the Riccar.
This message was modified Mar 18, 2015 by shanel92
Replies: 30 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CountVacula

Re: Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Reply #30   Dec 5, 2017 3:59 pm
For as much money as a Miele costs, they do not have the raw cleaning power of a Kenmore Elite. I measure vacuum suction with a suction guage marked in inches of water lift, which is how the vacuum industry measure suction. To measure airflow I use this thing called a BAIRD meter that is marked from 0 to 10. It is what Kirby sales people use to compare their machines to what you have in your home so it is biased in that 0 on a BAIRD meter isn't really zero airflow and 10 is around 120 cubic feet per minute (cfm) airflow. A Miele C3 has the same "Vortek" suction motor used in other Miele vacuums for the last several years. Miele only makes the one suction motor for all their vacuums. A brand new C3 generates 82 inches of suction before the bag indicator pops open and releases suction. It pulls my BAIRD meter out to 6.0. The same day I tested a Kenmore budget model Orange canister (now out of production) floor demo on clearance. It pulled 82 inches of suction and 6.5 on my BAIRD. I later bought one from a local K-Mart and it pulls 84 inches of suction and 7.5 on the BAIRD meter. A Kenmore Elite 800 Series canister I tested the same day pulled 92 inches of suction and pegged my BAIRD meter right past 10, so more than 120 cfm. All of these measurements were taken at the end of each canister's hose. It is the most powerful vacuum I have tested. A new Kirby demoed in my home could only pull 9.0 on the BAIRD meter on the end of its hose. You are spending a lot more than you need to buying a Miele. Btw, Miele power nozzles are notoriously poor on American style deep pile carpets. They are fine if you have a shorter pile carpet but they bog down on deep carpets. Same thing for Wessel-Werk power nozzles. As for filtration, Kenmore has an excellent cloth HEPA dust bag for their canisters called the Q bag that can be bought in a package of six for $20.99 from Sears. They have a two stage pre-motor filter with activated charcoal on the back side (something Miele does not have) called the CF-1 filter and they all have HEPA exhaust filters with those on the new 600 series and the Elite 700 and 800 series having a layer of activated charcoal on them. The activated charcoal eliminates exhaust odors.
BarryWils0n

Reply #31   Aug 9, 2018 2:49 am
I vacuum quite a bit with corded vacuums/bagless and bagged ones. It's really awesome to have a cordless one. Get it asap. Make sure it's light to hold and suction is strong. As long as it can last about 30mins, it's good. Cheaper vacuum cleaners will have some drawbacks like battery do not last as long or it's a little heavier to hold, less warranty etc. But they all do the same thing - vacuum. So it's up to you. However, if you still want corded, please don't get bagless. It's so irritating to dispose of and clean. Much easier to take the bag and throw. Look for easy ways to buy the bags before you get the vacuum. Using shell points can exchange a simple light vacuum cleaner... and you can buy the bags from Taobao easily. Very cheap too.
AudreyEstev

Reply #32   Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm
Different types of vacuum work best depending on the size and layout of your home, and your lifestyle.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2018 by a moderator
Benzmin

Reply #33   Apr 27, 2019 9:53 pm
As the OP said already there are different vaccum avaible on the Internet. Just search on google for a good one.
Replies: 30 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42