Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Rainbow E2 black or new Kirby Sentria 2

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Walley52

New Rainbow E2 black or new Kirby Sentria 2
Original Message   Dec 4, 2014 1:33 am
I have both of these vacuums and am trying to decide which one I am going to sell.  Both of them are supposed to last 25 years +.   I like the power of the Kirby and its funnel system for cleaning carpets.  Not sure that the power nozzle for the Rainbow gets the carpet as clean.  Unfortunately, I am not able to get the Kirby under my coffee table, sofa, or bed.  I have to use the floor tool.  The Rainbow power nozzle does go under just about everything in my apartment and the Rainbow does make the air smell great where as the Kirby does leave a dusty smell after I use it.  The Rainbow's long hose is great.  Only have to move it about 3 or 4 times for the whole apartment.  This year consumer reports gave the Kirby top scores in all three performance categories.  I do agree with them it is loud and a bit difficult to handle at times.  The Rainbow is a quieter vacuum.  I like the tools the Kirby comes with.  There is very little you can not clean with the Kirby.  Used the Kirby carpet shampoo system.  The carpet took 4 hours to dry.  My distributor said that I must have used too much soap.  The carpet should dry in one hour.  Must admit that I am somewhat confused being as I read the directions and watch multiple videos on how to use the system.  I discovered all the soap remaining in the dry carpet because I was testing the Kirby's shampoo system.  Hooked up Rainbow's new Aquamate3 and used it on the same area as I did the Kirby.  Boy, was it pulling up soap.  I think the Rainbow's shampoo system is very good.  It does take some work if your carpet has a bit of a pile like mine.  My back started hurting after a while.  You have to work hard to push it.  You can see my problem here.  There are things I like about each vacuum.  Which one would you choose?  My apartment is 85% carpet and 15% hard floor.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
CountVacula

Re: New Rainbow E2 black or new Kirby Sentria 2
Reply #1   Dec 25, 2014 10:16 pm
Why not a more conventional canister vacuum with a powered floor brush? A Kirby is in it's element when it has acres of unobstructed carpet to clean. Big rooms with furnishings far apart and long carpeted hallways. In a tight apartment it is going to be more work than it is worth. If I had to choose I would choose the Rainbow simply because it is a canister and thus is going to be better for dusting and the floor brush will get underneath furniture. But there are lots of good canister vacuums on the market that are not a pain in the neck to use, and some very good uprights that can be lowered to the floor and slid under furnishings. I have a Windsor S12 along with two Kirbys and regardless of what the hype says, the Windsor is a lot easier to use. I saw a Kirby described as the equivalent of driving a 1968 Buick and it's an apt analogy.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42