Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tw23

Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...
Original Message   Jul 13, 2012 1:38 am
Hey, I need some help picking a vacuum cleaner. Price is not really an issue, but I want to use the vacuum cleaner for these purposes: -pet hair -carpet -wood floor -tile floor I also want the vacuum to be light-weight... Can anybody suggest a good vacuum? Thanks ;) . All the best, tw23
Replies: 31 - 40 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...
Reply #31   Oct 2, 2012 11:33 am
Anjalena wrote:
Well, you guys wanted to know how the Hoover Windtunnel Air worked out for me, so I'm back. I've only used it a few times cuz it scares the crap out of my kitty.

Anyway, I'll vacuum up a pile of dirt and fur, maybe a half to a quarter Cup if you were using a measuring cup from the kitchen, and when I turn the vacuum off and move it, some of the stuff falls back out of it. I've been using it with the brushes off since I have linoleum but I actually think turning the brush on works better. This is an OLD apartment and the flooring is crap. It's not level and it's dull and stained. So I don't think the brushes are really going to hurt it much.

But what do you guys think about the stuff falling back out of it?

HI Anjalena. Glad you got the Windtunnel Air though I'm sorry it scares your cat. My cat gets scared any time our "quiet" Bosch dishwasher is on - just imagine what he does when the vacuums are on! Sadly because of budget restrictions and suggestions previously pointing towards Miele being your better bet, I'm not aware of any quieter vacuums in the U.S that can offer quieter motors than Miele. There may be other brands out there; but we in the UK aren't as lucky to get the brands that you can find in the U.S like Simplicity or Riccar. Perhaps those brands and associated models are quieter, I don't know.

I haven't personally got the issue of dust falling out but do bear in mind that Hoover's dust capacity is a very small 1.5 litres in the bin or 1.31 quarts. I notice Hoover U.S plays down this fact, not able to give this detail for its buyers, and instead promises "25% extra capacity." Hoover U.S already have got into trouble with Euro-Pro and Shark over false advertising with the Windtunnel Air and Navigator vacuums (See http://tushnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/apparently-false-demonstration-still.html if you are interested.)

I would agree with Mike that if dust is falling out, then it is every possibility to point towards the dust channels on the floor head. Open up the top hood via the two clips at the front and inspect the twin or single dust channels where you may well find a piece of cat litter wedged that is knocking out dust after you finish. It is easy to remove if you have the time and if you have a blunt flexible stick. If the dust is falling out by the bin at the top, then the bin just needs to be emptied thoroughly. Also ensure that the rear hose is firmly pushed into the vacuum at the back. With the Windtunnel Air being a clean air vacuum, the motor fan is completely sealed.

When it comes to unlevel floors though, I find the brush roll is better - the underside is flush and flat to cope with carpets anyway, but on the basis that fibres naturally flatten down before being activated by a brush roller, using brushes on unlevel floors should give you better performance than no brush roll at all.
vacman2

Reply #32   Oct 9, 2012 4:16 pm
Being in sales and service that model has lot of clogging issues, make sure when u turn it on dust is swirling inside bin if not it is plugged somewhere, a straight suction can is best for hard surface
vacmanuk

Reply #33   Oct 10, 2012 10:28 am
vacman2 wrote:
Being in sales and service that model has lot of clogging issues, make sure when u turn it on dust is swirling inside bin if not it is plugged somewhere, a straight suction can is best for hard surface

Sorry but I don't see correlation to the previous posts for this thread. The Windunnel Air does not have a lot of clogging issues - actually probably down to the user who can't be bothered to maintain their vacuum - but then a lot of other brands and types suffer from the same problem. I rescued a fantastic vintage Hoover cylinder vacuum the other day and all that it required was a lump of dust removed from the hose. I can't believe someone threw it away.
vacman2

Reply #34   Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry but I don't see correlation to the previous posts for this thread. The Windunnel Air does not have a lot of clogging issues - actually probably down to the user who can't be bothered to maintain their vacuum - but then a lot of other brands and types suffer from the same problem. I rescued a fantastic vintage Hoover cylinder vacuum the other day and all that it required was a lump of dust removed from the hose. I can't believe someone threw it away.

Oh u don't huh, Anjelena said dirt was falling back out of her vacuum, generally that is because the brush bar is sweeping it into the hose but not being sucked into the dirt container, because of a clog, no wonder folks think this site is abrasive, because it is, I'm not just some chump who own's a couple vacuums
vacmanuk

Reply #35   Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm
vacman2 wrote:
Oh u don't huh, Anjelena said dirt was falling back out of her vacuum, generally that is because the brush bar is sweeping it into the hose but not being sucked into the dirt container, because of a clog, no wonder folks think this site is abrasive, because it is, I'm not just some chump who own's a couple vacuums

Oh we already know you work in business, you've uttered that many times, I'm surprised you don't take advantage of the signature box. Come to vacuumland.org - so much better there and loads of members with different opinions are far more friendly.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #36   Oct 11, 2012 3:29 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh we already know you work in business, you've uttered that many times, I'm surprised you don't take advantage of the signature box. Come to vacuumland.org - so much better there and loads of members with different opinions are far more friendly.

vacmanuk wrote:
  If you wish me to contact powers above you again, you're going the right way - and this time, unlike so many other members who have left because of you I have the power to review your site and yourself.
You know, you really sound like you really do not want to be here.  You should be supporting this site.  You do not come here and not support it by telling others to come to a place so much better.  People need to seriously look at what you are writing here. 

If anyone has something to say, that is not vacuum cleaner related, they should post a private message.

Mike W.

Katherine77

Reply #37   Oct 19, 2012 12:00 am
I've recently been using a vacuum cleaner purchased by my mother and was very surprised at how absolutely wonderful it works. I'm now considering purchasing it myself for my home since I can't seem to find one better. She purchased it after getting new carpet all over her home in order to maintain it looking new and it has does an amazing job of that.  You may have heard of it, It is called the Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Vacuum.  It glides and angles very easily.  The ball in the center allows you to stay in one spot while vacuuming also enabling you to reach every angle without even turning your body. It is convenient and saves time while vacuuming. It has a strong suction that picks up dirt thoroughly from carpets, I've even used it on hard floors and it works great for that as well. I've used it in the bathroom to pick up hair and it cleans it all up. I also like how it is bag-less so you can simply take the canister off of the front and dump it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions or have any other vacuum suggestions. Thanks
This message was modified Sep 10, 2013 by a moderator
vacmanuk

Reply #38   Oct 19, 2012 10:14 am
Mike_W wrote:
You know, you really sound like you really do not want to be here.  You should be supporting this site.  You do not come here and not support it by telling others to come to a place so much better.  People need to seriously look at what you are writing here. 

If anyone has something to say, that is not vacuum cleaner related, they should post a private message.

Mike W.

I would support this site if others supported me; not cut me down with any opinion I choose to offer. This site for example doesn't offer any incentives for the review sections; a big black mark against other sites who do. Dont worry though, my global review of this site and yourself will shortly be available to be read.
procare

Reply #39   Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am
Katherine 77,

Before buying a Dyson make sure you have carpet that dyson will workon. There are carpets out there that Dyson is not recommended  to be used on. Frieze being one of them.

Procare

vacmanuk

Reply #40   Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am
Katherine77 wrote:
I've recently been using a vacuum cleaner purchased by my mother and was very surprised at how absolutely wonderful it works. I'm now considering purchasing it myself for my home since I can't seem to find one better. She purchased it after getting new carpet all over her home in order to maintain it looking new and it has does an amazing job of that.  You may have heard of it, It is called the Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Vacuum.  It glides and angles very easily.  The ball in the center allows you to stay in one spot while vacuuming also enabling you to reach every angle without even turning your body. It is convenient and saves time while vacuuming. It has a strong suction that picks up dirt thoroughly from carpets, I've even used it on hard floors and it works great for that as well. I've used it in the bathroom to pick up hair and it cleans it all up. I also like how it is bag-less so you can simply take the canister off of the front and dump it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions or have any other vacuum suggestions. Thanks

Im glad you like it. There are some rivals on the market like the Dyson, but if you like what you have got, best to stay with it.

Personally I've had it with bagless cyclonic vacs - about the only reason I chose to keep my Vax Mach Air upright (similar to the Windtunnel Air)  is that it took all the pet dirt and bird seed in one go off carpets and hard floors; a daily occurrence when dealing with family-owned pets. I have now replaced the Vax with a cordless low energy run brush roll sweeper and wondered why I never considered this cheaper option before. My main vacuum of choice uses a dust bag. I don't mind paying out for bags. It's a small price to pay to remain hygienic and my main upright swivels too, gets under low furniture (unlike the Dyson DC25 because the round bin gets in the way) and has a push button release where the entire brush roll just comes out for ease of cleaning hair from going around the brush bar.

Interestingly though, Dyson have shown a video of a new concept of tacking the clogged brush bar problem - they claim that by using contra-rotating brush tuft bristles, hair doesn't get a chance to clog up. However, as the owner of a cordless Gtech sweeper now, I can see where they have maybe got their inspiration from - the Gtech has round spinning bristle discs at the side for edge cleaning. Pet hair doesn't tend to get clogged up, but threads do which are easy to remove. See the video link of Dyson's rotation discs if you wish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDzK-MJ9Uk
Replies: 31 - 40 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42