Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Partsman41953

Vacuum suggestion
Original Message   Jun 12, 2012 8:51 am
Hello, My wife has asked me to try and find a new vacuum for us but we have a unique situation. We live in a 2 story house with a laminate wood floor in our living room with tile in our kitchen and dining room. The stairs leading up to our second floor and hallway are carpet and the 3 bedrooms upstairs are carpet now but we are going to be putting wood down shortly. On top of that we have birds that make a mess. Which vacuum would you suggest would be best for us to clean up the mess from the birds along with being able to clean the carpet in the hallway and stairs? Thanks, Glenn
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Vacuum suggestion
Reply #1   Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm
Glenn;

I would suggest that since you have/will have quite a bit of flooring, a canister vacuum cleaner with a power nozzle would get the job done.  All you have to do is use the power nozzle for the carpeting, then put the floor brush on the wand and clean the floors.  A floor brush, on the end of a wand, is much easier to use and move around on the floor than an upright. 

I would like to ask what brand/model vacuum cleaner you are using now?  Pulling up the carpeting also plays a part in what vacuum cleaner you have now and what you should get.  If you have an upright now, you may want to keep it and use on the carpeting while you still have the carpeting.  Then just purchase a suction-only canister for the floors and everything above the floor.  After all the carpeting is pulled up, you just need to use the suction-only canister.

For a canister w/power nozzle, I would suggest very good quality brands like Riccar and Simplicity.  These two are made by/for the same company.  Also look at Miele.  If you cannot afford any of these, take a look at the HOOVER S3670.  It is a very good vacuum cleaner, with many good features.  Another vacuum in this category would be a Panasonic w/power nozzle.

If you just need a suction-only canister, you will find many which would fit what you need.  There is not much required when vacuuming floor.  The above brands of Miele Riccar, and Simplicity have canisters without power nozzles also.

Alot of the vacuum cleaners today filter very well.  I have not commented on what is the "best filtration", since you did not make that a priority.

Good luck w/your search.
vacmanuk

Reply #2   Jun 14, 2012 2:38 pm
The other alternative would be a central vac. Then all you do is swap around the floor heads rather than carry about a machine up and down stairs all the time.
vacman2

Reply #3   Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am
Miele cans are great as well they offer the s2 for as low as 499 inc power brush
dalexis

Reply #4   Nov 19, 2012 7:28 pm
If you are going to replace your carpeting with hardwood floors i would definitely go with a canister vacuum. You just don't the power of an upright vacuum with wood or tile floors. As for which vacuum to get well thats up to you and your circumstances. 1 thing i've learned to do is to check to see how readily available the bags, filters, belts are. Nothing worse than paying good money for a vacuum just to find out 6 months later that you cant get the necessities.
This message was modified Nov 19, 2012 by dalexis
vacmanuk

Reply #5   Nov 23, 2012 1:56 pm
Bear in mind that if you are going to go for a Miele canister vac, the S2 has a shorter power cord length than the S6 and newer S8. SEBO's D4 Premium (sadly the non-electric versions have yet to land elsewhere other than currently in Europe) has a 12 metre power cable, large dust bag capacity and electric power nozzle as standard WITH an additional hard floor brush. However, Im sure there are plenty of other canisters with just the same amount of longer cord available. There is nothing worse than constant plug hoping, especially if you have to get around a large home.
KickassVacuums

Reply #6   Dec 4, 2012 2:56 pm
The SEBO Felix is a great upright machine. It not only is very easy to carry up and down stairs thanks to its long side handle (where the hose is stored), but it also is great on hardwood and bare floors. It comes with a great parquet brush which does a fantastic job on your hardwood. Also the neck of the machine is great, it rotates 180 degrees, giving you a lot of flexibility to get under beds, couches, tables, etc. As most upright models do these days, it has an instant use suction hose as well as a nice light that will illuminate when your brush roller isn't at an optimum height to clean your floors. The brush roller can also be turned off to clean your moor delicate floors. It is fairly lightweight and is also pretty sleek looking and doesn't take up much space. I highly recommend the SEBO Felix models as far as upright vacuums are concerned.
mole

Reply #7   Dec 5, 2012 9:44 am
vacmanuk wrote:
The other alternative would be a central vac....

THIS..................
FastEddie1

Reply #8   Dec 22, 2012 10:58 am
Buy the Riccar vacuum, it is made in America for American homes. 97% of vacuums are made overseas for foreign homes. Our way of living is totally different than say for example european homes. You need a vacuum that will create a mini earthquake infront of the vacuum. Suction only clean or remove loosened dirt, embeded dirt require a v acuum capable of loosining the embeded dirt, only than the suction can tranfer the dirt from point A to Point B. Definitly a canister based on the flooring you have.
easonlin

Reply #9   Feb 28, 2014 12:48 am
Why don't you purchase amtidy robot vacuum cleaner A325? Got this for my mother who has 2 cats and 2 dogs. It is amazing how much animal hair it picks up and general dirt. Her house is very clean too. It fills up the on board dump bin every other day with animal hair and I mean it is completely full....
This message was modified Feb 28, 2014 by a moderator
TheodoreRivera

Reply #10   Jun 27, 2014 6:50 am
ShopVac is good and helpful for cleaning birds mess but another option can be iRobot Dirt Dog it is mainly designed for garage workshops so it can can pick up bolts and pieces of wood also. It is also good for hardwood flor. I think it can be perfect machine for you.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42