Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help me decide; Oreck vs. Simplicty/Riccar or other?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
fletch173

Help me decide; Oreck vs. Simplicty/Riccar or other?
Original Message   Jan 6, 2012 10:56 am
We recently purchased a Sebo Felix from Costco.com and my wife does not like it at all.  It runs hot and was heavy/akward to carry as a canister.  Luckily Costco has a great return policy!  The most important feature for her is light weight and she really likes our 10-year old Oreck.  I've gone to both the Oreck store and an independent vacuum store to look and compare.  The Oreck and Simplicty Freedom seem very similar.  I like the high end Simplicity Freedom model F3700 [priced at $399] without the companion canister and $499 with the canister because it has a metal brush roll.  The lower end freedom models don't have two speeds and frankly don't seem as good as the Oreck to me.  At the Oreck Store I tested the Magnesium, which was interesting, but costs $399 as well [$499 with canister].  Also, not sure about buying this new and unproven model although it was incredibly light.  Costco is running a special thru January 15th, where I can purchase the Oreck XL & Canister companion for $248 [$50 off costco price].  At the end of the day this seems like the best value to me, but I'm curious as tot he opinions on this forum.  Thanks very much!  
Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Help me decide; Oreck vs. Simplicty/Riccar or other?
Reply #17   Jan 16, 2012 10:04 am
vacmanuk wrote:
The UK is pretty much the same - in terms of buyers for vacuums - they don't want to spend anymore than £100 on a machine ($153) and if they are pushed to buy Dyson then they'll go for it (up to $595 or just over $650) and treat it like an investment. Where our large appliances are concerned, washers and dishwashers start around the £199 price range and go all the way to £2539-00 ($304 to $3884) refridgerators go for completely different prices, thanks to your influence (not yours personally, but the U.S style "grande" sized fridge/freezer combination.) The most expensive and largest is a range from a company called Sub Zero and it costs £12,500 (you could buy a car for that kind of cash) equivalent to $19125.00

Our 3 month electricity bill usually amounts to £749 ($1149) on average (including power), and that's because Scotland continually has cold weather, rainy for most days and prevents clothing from being hung outside, or being frozen to the washing line. Also it's very cold all around the year but our summers are very short, so at least there's a good respite of not using any heating as it's usually warm enough to get by without it. But for the most part it's quite expensive to run. The cost of gas used to be cheaper but because it's more precious to get out of the ground, can be additionally expensive to run all the time.

I've managed to get the bill down to £400/£500 however simply by using as little electric light as possible, energy saving lights, low motor powered vacuums (even if the SEBO and Miele models I have have high power, they can be used in the lowest rating) and only using the dishwasher maybe once or twice a week. The washing machine now only gets used once every 2 weeks to try and go through all the clothing I have rather than stick to my favourites and ignore the rest!

I think electrical rates are better where I am now than in New York but there has been a trade-off -- I'm now paying for water.  (just once I'd like to feel I came out ahead In some spots I'm told, you not only rent and pay  for water and electricity for light, heating and cooling but trash removal too.  At least I don't have to call "Rent a Frog" or "Lease  a Owl"  -- they're included in the deal for free.

As for cleaning equipment choices, there seems to be only a very limited amount of bona fide vacuum shops in my area -- I'm talking for miles.  Everyone appears to be taking what Wal-Mart has to give here though there must be a Kirby guy somewhere around as I notice them turning up for sale as pre-used regularly.

hooverman

Reply #18   Feb 5, 2012 7:53 pm
Wasn't the UK Hoover Junior our Lightweight (USA version)?

Seems like that Lightweight wasn't too popular here?

Venson

Reply #19   Feb 5, 2012 11:55 pm
hooverman wrote:
Wasn't the UK Hoover Junior our Lightweight (USA version)?

Seems like that Lightweight wasn't too popular here?

They of course were lighter but I think compactness was more the sell point -- the near wallop of a full-sized Hoover, beater-bars and all, but easier to tuck away.  The cleaning swath was narrower, for most of the line, and I don't think that garnered much enthusiasm.  "Will it clean," was more the question than, "How heavy is it," during the time the Hoover Convertible was king of the hill. 

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #20   Feb 6, 2012 9:41 pm
Venson wrote:
They of course were lighter but I think compactness was more the sell point -- the near wallop of a full-sized Hoover, beater-bars and all, but easier to tuck away.  The cleaning swath was narrower, for most of the line, and I don't think that garnered much enthusiasm.  "Will it clean," was more the question than, "How heavy is it," during the time the Hoover Convertible was king of the hill. 

Venson

The Hoover Junior (or Lark as it was known in the States) was a fantastic seller for Hoover in the U.K, not least Scotland where the Cambuslang factory churned out many. We had them, my grandmother had them and nothing else beat it at the time for carpet dust pick up. It was still at that period of vacuums where people bought uprights for carpets and canisters for suction above the floor and hard floors. The Electrolux Z500 series didn't even come close even though it was a true upright with a hose connection and was better for fitting than the Junior/Lark's hose at the front, and it was a Clean Fan system compared to Hoover's dirty fan. WHICH UK testing still recommended Hoover uprights though! Quite literally we Brits fell in love with the VW Beetle-esque style and the Art Deco models before that and of the slogan "it beats-as it sweeps- as it cleans." Buyers for canisters were more then likely dabbling with Electrolux rather than going out for the also, dearly beloved Portable and "Connie" Constellation models. Loosely based on the Convertible, there was the Senior - we had one of those and I recall my mother preferring the Junior because it was lighter to handle and get around the carpets. We even had the last modern version in the 1980's, a U1104 model which at last was made in plastic exterior that made it a bit lighter to carry as well as a flat drive belt and a top fill dust bag, although the U1012 older style machines had a top fill bag.

I've often loved the Junior - it was effectively the vacuum I grew up with. The U.S then fell in love with the horrendous Boss uprights with the "Back Saver" handle in the 1980's. Many Brits weren't convinced of those - we had better Electrolux models by then!

As Venson points out, the Junior/Lark was lighter- but U.S homes have always been bigger than the U.K and everything else.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2012 by vacmanuk
jkbmmv

Reply #21   Sep 7, 2012 6:08 pm
Ok, I haven't exactly read all of the responses, cause this caught my eye and was signing out, but given that I am a vacuum enthusiast and technician, I have worked on Orecks and the riccar/simplicity supralite/freedom and will say that even with the base supralite/freedom, you have better cleaning power than the oreck. The riccar/simplicity vacs use the same motor through out the 5 variants, the only differences are having a switch on the handle or having one on the body, having the multi speed switch, having a wooden brushroll, having a metal brush roll, having a hall sensor (jam detection) and having paper bags or micron filtered bags. The fans and motors are the exact same, so the rsl1 cleans the same as the rsl5 when the rsl5 is on high, the differences are the cloth collection bag vs the paper, the metal brush roll with replaceable strips, the hall sensor and the multi speed switch on the handle.

The riccar/simplicity models handle hair and other debris better than the orecks because the fan has a deeper fin with a tighter curve shape to deflect objects and keep hair from winding up.

I own an oreck commercial XL, an RSL3 and an RSL5... Would take the riccars over the orecks any day...

Joshua
vacman2

Reply #22   Oct 9, 2012 4:29 pm
jkbmmv wrote:
Ok, I haven't exactly read all of the responses, cause this caught my eye and was signing out, but given that I am a vacuum enthusiast and technician, I have worked on Orecks and the riccar/simplicity supralite/freedom and will say that even with the base supralite/freedom, you have better cleaning power than the oreck. The riccar/simplicity vacs use the same motor through out the 5 variants, the only differences are having a switch on the handle or having one on the body, having the multi speed switch, having a wooden brushroll, having a metal brush roll, having a hall sensor (jam detection) and having paper bags or micron filtered bags. The fans and motors are the exact same, so the rsl1 cleans the same as the rsl5 when the rsl5 is on high, the differences are the cloth collection bag vs the paper, the metal brush roll with replaceable strips, the hall sensor and the multi speed switch on the handle.

The riccar/simplicity models handle hair and other debris better than the orecks because the fan has a deeper fin with a tighter curve shape to deflect objects and keep hair from winding up.

I own an oreck commercial XL, an RSL3 and an RSL5... Would take the riccars over the orecks any day...

Someone finally answered the question, Riccars blow Orecks away if U can stand the noise lol, or buy the 2 speed and run on low.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #23   Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm
jkbmmv wrote:

vacman2 wrote:
Someone finally answered the question, Riccars blow Orecks away if U can stand the noise lol, or buy the 2 speed and run on low.

I have to agree that Tacony's  Freedom/Supralite upights are very good and perform very well.  I have said this from their beginning.  What I have to ask is, have you tried the other Oreck residential uprights?  They make other series of uprights like the Pilot series(mentioned earlier in the thread), which started out as the XL21,  and the Edge upright. 
DiscountVacs

Reply #24   Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm
We are Oreck fans
Steveacs

Reply #25   May 31, 2013 12:33 pm
Oreck vacuums are pretty decent for their price yes, but sadly they are far from the best on the market. This of course doesn't mean that the other comapnies' models are technological miracles, but there are many vacuums currently on the market that can do a better job, such as the latest Dyson models. For example the latest Dyson Animal, has incredible suction power for it's relative quietness and great mobility combined with it's relative lightness, making it a great choice for most people.  When you add in the fact that it's designed with your pets in mind, and you have a top-tier upright vacuum cleaner for pet owners.
This message was modified May 31, 2013 by a moderator
tomamal

Reply #26   Jun 6, 2013 12:08 pm
You cannot pass a general judgement as to which vacuum is better than another. Each performs well if put to use for the purpose for which it has been manufactured. While the light weight vacuums are easy to move, they have limited suction power; the heavier machines, though a little inconvenient in moving around, come with high suction power. While there are vacuums which are designed to clean pet hair, others are good on carpet cleaning. Hence, depending on your requirements and your abilities, choose a vacuum that suits your requirements.
This message was modified Jun 6, 2013 by tomamal
Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42