Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vita-vac VM-0700 Model 88

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
carol46z

Vita-vac VM-0700 Model 88
Original Message   Dec 30, 2011 5:35 pm
My Vita-vac, purchased in June 1993, stopped running today. It is not the electrical plug; there are no stripped wires. I read the post about the carbon brushes. What else could be the problem...push-button switch? Is this model similar to another familiar brand's model? Thanks for any help. I want to try and salvage this good cleaner.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Venson

Re: Vita-vac VM-0700 Model 88
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2011 7:52 pm
carol46z wrote:
My Vita-vac, purchased in June 1993, stopped running today. It is not the electrical plug; there are no stripped wires. I read the post about the carbon brushes. What else could be the problem...push-button switch? Is this model similar to another familiar brand's model? Thanks for any help. I want to try and salvage this good cleaner.

HI,

Wow, almost twenty years!  How wonderful. 

Your Vita-Vac was originally the AirWay Sanitizor.  AirWay, as a brand, first produced upright then all-metal canister vacuum cleaners whose models were made -- and loved -- since way back in the1920s "til around 2008.  Per an article by Tom Gasko, an AirWay afficiando, the company went under due prices in aluminum and steel.  (It appears that vacuums made to last twenty years or more don't fit into today's business plans well.)

If you're interested in history, Tom's article is here: http://www.vdta.com/Magazines/DEC09/fc-GaskoDec09.html

As for the business at hand; not having seen the machine, not knowing you or what kind of duty the cleaner served day to day in your household, it is hard to say what the problem is after almost twenty years of use.  Were I you, I would take the machine into a reputable local vac repair shop and have them check the machine out, tell you what the issue is and supply an estimate.  You'd only be obligated to pay them the cost of "diagnosis" if you don't choose to use their services.  They should be able to do that while you wait. 

My only caveat here has to do with reliability and the knowledge of the shop.  There have been design variances but, in respect to form, these machines have been on Earth longer than the parents of many new shop owners and some might not "get it".  You want to be sure you feel a modicum of confidence in the ability of the people who'll be handling the machine. 

Not knowing either if you're mechanically inclined or not, I am nonetheless posting a URL for a parts supply establishment that still lists motors and carbon brushes for AirWay in its catalog.  They'd probably be worth a call once the root of the problem's established.  http://www.hescoinc.com/vacuum_cleaner_parts/airway.html

My disclaimer is as always, whether or not I may have bought product from them, I have no affiliation with this company or knowledge of its rates.

Hope that helps AND Happy Hew Year . . .

Venson

This message was modified Dec 30, 2011 by Venson
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #2   Jan 2, 2012 4:33 am
carol46z wrote:

Take the vacuum cleaner to the vac shop and have them check it out.  It could be something as basic as an old cord or the power switch.  There are no special parts for this machine,so parts can be found for it.  Almost anything can be replaced on it, if the shop knows about it.  Your cleaner most likely uses the Douglas power nozzle, since it is that old.  If you really like your machine, you can keep it going even longer.
carol46z

Reply #3   Jan 3, 2012 9:30 am
Thanks Vinson and Mike W! I will let you know what I find out. Happy New Year! Carol46z
Venson

Reply #4   Jan 4, 2012 2:54 am
carol46z wrote:
Thanks Vinson and Mike W! I will let you know what I find out. Happy New Year! Carol46z

Happy New Year to you too!

Venson

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42