Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Hose length
Original Message   May 17, 2011 5:03 pm
Why do most vacs have short hoses?  How can people vacuum their homes/auto/RV, etc. with a short hose?  Can't the vacs have long hose as standard equipment?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Hose length
Reply #1   May 21, 2011 10:11 am
hooverman wrote:
Why do most vacs have short hoses?  How can people vacuum their homes/auto/RV, etc. with a short hose?  Can't the vacs have long hose as standard equipment?

I suppose it has a lot to do with the space design of an upright or cylinder vacuum. Not everyone needs a long hose and nowadays you can buy extensions hoses. I suppose in terms of clean air designed vacuums where the dust travels through a hose to get to the bag, the longer the hose, the less likelihood of the suction being able to pull the dirt in faster. If I was to imagine my SEBO upright or a Miele upright having three times the size of a hose, I reckon it would disrupt the compactness of the standard hose upon the design as well as probably find that dust would clog half way for not having enough thrust from the force of the vacuum to suck up the dirt. Plus it would be hard to store a longer hose on a vacuum as part of its space efficiency design.

In the UK most buyers who own caravans and RV's tend to use small compact cylinder vacuums or of the very limited ranges we have, stick vacs with hoses if they are available.

I will also point out that having a long hose on a cylinder vacuum can be a pain - most are liable to whack off doors bringing off paint when the hose is fully stretched out. More of a pain than a benefit, especially if it destroys your home in the process.
This message was modified May 21, 2011 by vacmanuk
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Hose length
Reply #2   May 25, 2011 2:48 pm
I do not think there is a real need for long,long hoses.  Manufactures have solved the problem by putting wheels on vacuum cleaners.  If  you need more hose, just pull the machine closer.  Grabbing a super long hose of a Rainbow, to pull it around the corner and down the hall is going to be more difficult than a regular size hose.

You also have to look at longer hoses causing bodily injury; causing more trips and falls.

I have found that an 8-10ft. hose is max and anything under 6ft. is an "ankle biter"

As for RV's, well I suggest to many, that they purchase a compact canister.  It can be stored is a cabinet in the RV.  There are also compact Central vacuums, which can fit in a cabinet.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42